Wanadoo Livebox, how does it work?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Kenny, Mar 11, 2006.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    I know nothing about networking but have been looking at Wanadoo's Livebox,
    Wanadoo is my current ISP with a 2MB ADSL connection.
    Says on their site that up to 6 PC's can use the internet at the same time
    with it and describes it as an ADSL modem and router.
    I can't seem to find an explanation of how this works, have read quite a few
    articles found on Google.
    My understanding is that the Livebox is a receiver and a transmitter is
    attached to a USB port on the PC.
    That seems simple enough but what happens if I want to connect a second or
    third PC?
    Do I need to buy more transmitters, it doesn't say if more than one is
    supplied?
    Are the connection settings etc. the same on all the PC's, is their any
    special setting up?
    Wanadoo's website doesn't explain things at all.
    http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/wireless.htm

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Mar 11, 2006

  2. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Also meant to ask if this Livebox is "only" for sharing an internet
    connection, if more than one PC is connected to it can they "see" each other
    to share files etc.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Mar 11, 2006

  3. Kenny

    James Gockel Guest

    If you have a DSL modem already, I suggest looking into a linksys wireless
    router. A simple picture of how the connection actually should be set up:

    <Internet>
    | <- Backbone connection to major servers,
    | connecting to the litteral Web of computers we call the internet.
    (ISP)
    | <- Through a phone line to the ISP
    {DSL Modem}
    | <- Cat5 cable directly to the modem
    {Your computer}

    Now in place of {your computer} you can put a wireless router (or a regular
    router) which keeps the dsl modem always connected to the ISP. You plug your
    computer into the router via a cat5 cable, or if it's wireless.. wirelessly,
    of course.
    You can connect, through one router, (of course requiring more equipment) up
    to 254 computers... Normally, they have up to 5 spots where you can
    physically plug in cat5 cables. Other equipment like switches and hubs would
    be required to get 254 comptuers all connected.. but you can also do more
    with more routers, but becomes a mess! (I know i'm going off in the wrong
    direction.)
    In the case of this livebox thingy, the dsl modem and the router are one in
    the same. But if you've got a dsl modem already, look into a good wireless
    router like linksys. They are very simple to setup, and are enterprise
    quality.
    Something simple like Linksys 802.11g Wireless Router (WRT54G) will do just
    fine for you... here in the states, best buy sells them for $70 USD... They
    have clear instructions on how to set them up.

    good luck, and I hope I helped at least a little.
    -James G.

    James Gockel, Mar 11, 2006
  4. Kenny

    Newport Guest

    Hi

    I have the livebox and is a regular wireless router, you can share internet
    and share files see others pc in your network
    you need extras USB key like the one provider by wanadoo for each extra pc
    up to 6 maxi.
    The livebox also let you use your telephone line and call nacional and
    locals calls for free ( at least in France is like that )

    Newport, Mar 12, 2006
  5. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Thanks James and Newport for the replies.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Mar 12, 2006