    Any responses are greatly appreciated

    Thank You

    , Aug 4, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >I have an application that performs 24 Mbyte transactions once per day.

    >I need to know how many kbps are needed on my WAN link to transfer 24
    >Mbytes of data?

    Ignoring overheads for the moment, you need to transfer 24 megabytes
    and you need to have it finished before the transfer starts 24 hours
    later. You therefore need an average throughput rate of at least
    24 megabytes / 24 hours = 1 megabyte/hour . 1 hour is 3600 seconds,
    so you need 1 megabyte / 3600 seconds. 1 megabyte is 8,000 kilobits,
    so your rate must be at least 8,000 kilobits / 3600 seconds
    which is about 2.2 kilobits / second.

    Your actual needed rate will be higher than that, once some overheads
    are taken into account, but it will still come out as less than 2.3
    kilobits/second.

    >We persently have 800 Kbit/sec partial T1 that uses on aver 600
    >Kbit/sec throughout the working day.

    As you can tell from the above calculation, the necessary rate is
    less than the round-off error in your usage rate.

    You will not be able to use a full 800 Kbit/s on the link (overheads),
    but if we arbitrarily say that you should be able to get 90% bandwidth
    without difficulty, then you would have up to around 720 Kbit/s . If
    you subtract the 600 Kbit/s already in use, your available bandwidth
    is on the order of 120 Kbit/s, which is roughly 52 times faster than
    you need to finish the task in time. The transfer should therefore
    complete in less than half an hour during peak times, and less than
    5 minutes off-peak.

    Walter Roberson, Aug 4, 2006

  3. Overlord Guest

    >>I need to know how many kbps are needed on my WAN link to transfer 24
    >>Mbytes of data?
    >>We persently have 800 Kbit/sec partial T1 that uses on aver 600
    >>Kbit/sec throughout the working day.

    First I want to compliment the excellent reply that was before this one.

    To add to that, I would suggest looking into network traffic queues to help
    out. QoS is what you need to look for now.
    These are access-lists defining network traffic along with policies
    declaring how much bandwith must be always allowed for or restricted for
    certian access-list classes of network traffic. This would be helpful in
    your situation where you would not want your application to overlord the
    network connection yet still be guarenteed a certian amount of bandwidth in
    order to complete.

    Overlord, Aug 5, 2006