    Is there already any information on the next wave of Walt Disney Treasure
    DVD's?

    Roy

    Royco, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Royco wrote:

    > Is there already any information on the next wave of Walt Disney Treasure
    > DVD's?

    Yyyyyep--Same time next year:

    True-Life Adventures, Mickey in B/W Vol. 2, Pluto: A Dog's Life, and
    Mickey Mouse Club (2-disk best-of).

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jun 10, 2004

  3. Royco

    roy Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > Royco wrote:
    >
    > > Is there already any information on the next wave of Walt Disney

    Treasure
    > > DVD's?

    > Yyyyyep--Same time next year:
    >
    > True-Life Adventures, Mickey in B/W Vol. 2, Pluto: A Dog's Life, and
    > Mickey Mouse Club (2-disk best-of).
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    ??strange...... Mickey in B/W Vol 2 .. I thought that all B/W Mickeys were
    already available in the first box and that when buying MM in Living Color 1
    and 2 you had all the MM cartoons?

    and Pluto? I doubt if you could 'fill' 2 discs with only Pluto cartoons
    without having massive cross-overs with the MM sets?

    I hope they change their minds and release Donald Duck part 2.

    roy

    roy, Jun 11, 2004
  4. This is from thedigitalbits.com.

    LATE UPDATE - 5/12/04 - 2 PM PDT)

    Anyone interested in knowing what you can look forward to for Walt Disney
    Treasures, Wave 4? Well, following a special screening last night in Hollywood
    of short films from the forthcoming Walt Disney Treasures: On the Front Lines
    collection, animation historian Jerry Beck and Dave Bossert, the producer of
    the On the Front Lines DVD, held a Q&A session with members of the audience.
    They revealed that the next batch of titles in the series will include True
    Life Adventures, Mickey Mouse in Black and White: Volume 2, a Pluto collection,
    and a Mickey Mouse Club collection. Look for them in December. You can read a
    full report on the evening's events at the Animated News website. Thanks to
    Bits reader Ben for the link.

    SpiderManHouston, Jun 11, 2004
  5. Royco

    Mikie Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:17:22 -0700, Derek Janssen <>
    wrote:

    >Royco wrote:
    >
    >> Is there already any information on the next wave of Walt Disney Treasure
    >> DVD's?

    >Yyyyyep--Same time next year:
    >
    >True-Life Adventures, Mickey in B/W Vol. 2, Pluto: A Dog's Life, and
    >Mickey Mouse Club (2-disk best-of).

    I assume this is in December, so we won't be getting any more May
    releases? Last time we had to wait almost a year and a half between
    volumes, so we should only have to wait 7 months this time which is
    still too long for me. At this rate we'll be lucky to get the
    remainder of Donald Duck before I die of old age... much like the
    Simpsons' slow release schedule.

    Also, the Mickey Mouse Club will be the first Treasures set I'll skip.
    I can stand the often boring Tomorrowland and Disneyland USA sets, but
    the Mickey Mouse Club never did anything for me.

    We'll probably never get Zorro, and if we do they'll be in B&W even
    though I thought the colorized versions shown on the Disney Channel
    long ago were excellent and I'd prefer those over B&W. I'm sure the
    purists will win on that one.

    Then Dr. Syn Alias the Scarecrow which I was looking forward to was
    postponed last I heard, and I doubt I will live to see the day that
    all of Texas John Slaughter is released on DVD. What few things Disney
    does release, such as the Dean Jones or Kurt Russell Disney comedies
    usually end up released as bare-bones pan & scan DVDs, plus they keep
    re-releasing out of print Anchor Bay titles rather than venturing into
    new territory which might actually require them to perform a new
    transfer.

    Disney has so much great old stuff I'd buy if they'd release it
    properly, but they either move as slow as molasses or they go pan &
    scan which I won't touch. End of rant.

    Mikie, Jun 15, 2004
  6. Royco

    jayembee Guest

    says...

    > We'll probably never get Zorro,

    I'll be surprised if we don't. Disney has already released the first
    season on DVD in France (I just got my copy today), so I would expect
    them to release it in Region 1 at some point.

    > and if we do they'll be in B&W even though I thought the colorized
    > versions shown on the Disney Channel long ago were excellent and
    > I'd prefer those over B&W. I'm sure the purists will win on that one.

    I would hope so. I don't think the colorization is all that bad on
    the Zorros, but the B&W is *far* better.

    But you may get your wish anyhow. I haven't had a chance to look at my
    French set yet, but the package unfortunately says "version couleur",
    so...

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jun 15, 2004
  7. Mikie wrote:

    >>True-Life Adventures, Mickey in B/W Vol. 2, Pluto: A Dog's Life, and
    >>Mickey Mouse Club (2-disk best-of).

    > I assume this is in December, so we won't be getting any more May
    > releases? Last time we had to wait almost a year and a half between
    > volumes, so we should only have to wait 7 months this time which is
    > still too long for me.

    So, guess you didn't read the interview with the WDT producers who
    claimed it was because the demand for "Front Lines" was more than they
    expected, which pushed it past the replication point for an already
    crowded December season, then?...

    > Then Dr. Syn Alias the Scarecrow which I was looking forward to was
    > postponed last I heard,

    Till September, last *I* heard--
    But at least we get it as a movie this time.

    > plus they keep
    > re-releasing out of print Anchor Bay titles

    Yeah, something about "wanting to own them", and "having more access to
    source and related material"--
    (Although we probably won't get the Bay's Fairuza Balk interview on the
    Disney "Return to Oz".)

    Derek Jansesn

    Derek Janssen, Jun 15, 2004
  8. Royco

    jayembee Guest

    says...

    >> and if we do they'll be in B&W even though I thought the colorized
    >> versions shown on the Disney Channel long ago were excellent and
    >> I'd prefer those over B&W. I'm sure the purists will win on that one.

    > I would hope so. I don't think the colorization is all that bad on
    > the Zorros, but the B&W is *far* better.
    >
    > But you may get your wish anyhow. I haven't had a chance to look at my
    > French set yet, but the package unfortunately says "version couleur",
    > so...

    I can now confirm that the French set is of the colorized version. I
    haven't seen the colorized version in years, but seeing it again, I
    stand by my original assessment that, truth to tell, the colorization
    is much better than one would expect from the process.

    I tested it with my girlfriend, who's never really watched the show,
    and she only guessed that it was it was colorized because I asked her
    if she thought there was anything that looked odd about it.

    I'd still prefer it in B&W, though.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jun 15, 2004
  9. the next "wave" of Disney.

    I guess that would be probably be something like "The Little Mermaid 3" or
    "Atlantis 2".

    just kidding.

    but with all the sequels they do, I'm probably not far off from reality.

    Waterperson77, Jun 16, 2004
  10. >Also, the Mickey Mouse Club will be the first Treasures set I'll skip.

    the reason I'm skipping the Mickey Mouse Club set is because The Mickey Mopuse
    Club should have been released as a partial season set (or season set) of all
    of the episodes aired in the first 13 weeks or first 6 and a half weeks..

    The reason I'm not saying definitely a full season is because the show aired
    five times a week.

    I think the first episodes were one hour long each, so 13 weeks would be 65 one
    hour episodes, a bit too much, but 6 and a half weeks would be about 33 one
    hour long episodes or so, about the same as one hour drama season sets.

    rhen when they get to the half hour episodes that were made in later seasons,
    they can release them as 13 week sets.

    Or was the first season a huge one and a half hours long each?

    Ho

    Waterperson77, Jun 16, 2004
  11. Waterperson77 wrote:

    > the next "wave" of Disney.
    >
    > I guess that would be probably be something like "The Little Mermaid 3" or
    > "Atlantis 2".

    ....Hey, I LIKED Atlantis 2! :0

    Sure, it was a TV pilot, but at least it gave the ex-"Gargoyles" writers
    a harmless outlet for their obnoxiously showoff mythology references,
    and finally got a handle on the main characters (which was a grateful
    step up from the movie).

    > just kidding.

    (What with having no idea what the thread is about, and all...)

    > but with all the sequels they do, I'm probably not far off from reality.

    Er....yeah. Pretty far.
    They've got ONE title in production, but they're starting to smell more
    money from the classic 2-disks.

    Oh, they might dump the current Pooh entry into theaters for the next
    February vacation, but the thrill is gone, and those "Teacher's Pet"
    wounds still owie.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jun 16, 2004
  12. Royco

    Mikie Guest

    That's interesting news about Zorro. When I first flipped by Zorro on
    The Disney Channel (where I finally got hooked and became a fan), they
    were playing the colorized episodes. I watched several episodes
    without having the slightest idea they were originally filmed in B&W
    until I finally paid attention to the last few seconds of the show
    where it mentioned the colorization. Then they later played the B&W
    episodes which I thought looked so much duller and darker.

    All I know is I am usually able to tell if something has been poorly
    colorized (such as those colorized Mickey Mouse shorts), but in the
    case of Zorro I could not. That's why I still vote for the colorized
    versions, but I guess I'll end up taking it whatever way it comes if
    it ever comes. Like the Donald Duck shorts I'm afraid Disney may drag
    Zorro's 79 episode DVD release over years or even a decade (when DVD
    will be an obsolete format). There is so much garbage released on DVD
    it's a shame it takes them so long to release the good stuff.

    Someone once said (and I don't remember who/where) that Zorro was
    especially well filmed in B&W with good contrast which lent itself
    well to colorizing.

    Mikie, Jun 20, 2004