    If not, I suppose I'll have to get more information
    at the store. Thanks
    , Jan 1, 2005

  2. Basic Wedge Guest

    <> wrote ...
    > I suppose I'll have to get more information
    > at the store.

    That would be my suggestion.

    Rob
    Basic Wedge, Jan 1, 2005

  3. C J Campbell Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > What's the specs on the printer Walmart uses. Not the
    > instant unit, but the one that gets you prints within
    > about an hour? I assume they all use the same unit.
    > If not, I suppose I'll have to get more information
    > at the store. Thanks

    Who knows whether they all even use the same kind of printer?
    C J Campbell, Jan 1, 2005
  4. transwhite Guest

    Fuji is Wal-Mart's primary photo processor. I'd bet most of the equipment
    Wal-Mart uses in store is supplied by them.

    transwhite, Jan 1, 2005
  5. Don Forsling Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > What's the specs on the printer Walmart uses. Not the
    > instant unit, but the one that gets you prints within
    > about an hour? I assume they all use the same unit.
    > If not, I suppose I'll have to get more information
    > at the store. Thanks

    Unless you have an engineering-related need to know, why do you care what
    the specs are? Have a nice frame of your choice printed at Walmart. If you
    like the results, the specs are good enough. If you don't, they (or
    something else) aren't.

    Cheers.
    Don Forsling, Jan 1, 2005
  6. "C J Campbell" <> writes:

    > <> wrote in message
    > > What's the specs on the printer Walmart uses. Not the
    > > instant unit, but the one that gets you prints within
    > > about an hour? I assume they all use the same unit.
    > > If not, I suppose I'll have to get more information
    > > at the store. Thanks

    > Who knows whether they all even use the same kind of printer?

    Even if it is made by the same company (Fuji Frontier in the Walmarts I've
    used), I've been to different stores that had different printers. I've also
    been to stores that have upgraded their firmware, and that firmware can cause
    color changes (the last time I was in a Walmart getting prints, that happened
    to me, and I decided Walmart no longer wanted my business).

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jan 2, 2005
  7. C J Campbell wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>What's the specs on the printer Walmart uses. Not the
    >>instant unit, but the one that gets you prints within
    >>about an hour? I assume they all use the same unit.
    >>If not, I suppose I'll have to get more information
    >>at the store. Thanks

    > Who knows whether they all even use the same kind of printer?

    I went to Walmart for my Christmas card photos. They came out way red
    looking. So I took the CD to a Walgreen and tried again, just to show
    them how it's done. My test print looked way yellow! They recommended
    the Walgreen up the street, which had the newest digital lab, the Fuji
    Frontier. I went there and did a test print, and it was perfect.
    Gorgeous. So I made my cards there, and they came out the same - beautiful.

    So obviously it depends on which store you go to.

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Jan 2, 2005
  8. Jim Redelfs Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > What's the specs on the printer Walmart uses. Not the
    > instant unit, but the one that gets you prints within
    > about an hour?

    It will be one week tomorrow that I first used Wal-Mart's service. I uploaded
    my jpegs, ordered "one hour" prints then drove to the store.

    Printed on good Fuji paper, I found the work to be very good. I was
    completely satisfied.

    The prints came with a matte finish. I prefer glossy but don't remember the
    option and suspect I don't have a choice.

    I'm going to use their service again the next time I need "everyday" printing
    done.

    :)
    JR
    Jim Redelfs, Jan 2, 2005
  9. Jim Redelfs <> writes:

    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > What's the specs on the printer Walmart uses. Not the
    > > instant unit, but the one that gets you prints within
    > > about an hour?

    > It will be one week tomorrow that I first used Wal-Mart's service. I
    > uploaded my jpegs, ordered "one hour" prints then drove to the store.
    >
    > Printed on good Fuji paper, I found the work to be very good. I was
    > completely satisfied.
    >
    > The prints came with a matte finish. I prefer glossy but don't remember the
    > option and suspect I don't have a choice.

    In some Walmarts you used to be able to order glossy prints, but not as a one
    hour service (ie, they sent them out to a common lab in the region, and the
    prints would be available the next day). As I happen to prefer the matte
    finish, I never used the service. I don't know if they still offer it. Note,
    walmart.com only does glossy prints, and you can save on the shipping cost by
    having walmart.com send the prints to the store for pickup.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jan 2, 2005
  10. Terence Gui Guest

    "Michael Meissner" <> wrote in message

    > In some Walmarts you used to be able to order glossy prints, but not as a

    one
    > hour service (ie, they sent them out to a common lab in the region, and

    the
    > prints would be available the next day). As I happen to prefer the matte
    > finish, I never used the service. I don't know if they still offer it.

    Note,
    > walmart.com only does glossy prints, and you can save on the shipping cost

    by
    > having walmart.com send the prints to the store for pickup.

    The local Wal-Mart I go to have 1-hour glossy print service, and afaik have
    always had it (or, at least as long as I've had my digicam). I use them to
    get my 90% of my prints done, and I've been very satisfied with the cost and
    quality thus far

    Terence

    ---
    Terence Gui, Jan 2, 2005
  11. Ron Hunter Guest

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    > C J Campbell wrote:
    >
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> What's the specs on the printer Walmart uses. Not the
    >>> instant unit, but the one that gets you prints within
    >>> about an hour? I assume they all use the same unit.
    >>> If not, I suppose I'll have to get more information
    >>> at the store. Thanks

    >> Who knows whether they all even use the same kind of printer?

    > I went to Walmart for my Christmas card photos. They came out way red
    > looking. So I took the CD to a Walgreen and tried again, just to show
    > them how it's done. My test print looked way yellow! They recommended
    > the Walgreen up the street, which had the newest digital lab, the Fuji
    > Frontier. I went there and did a test print, and it was perfect.
    > Gorgeous. So I made my cards there, and they came out the same - beautiful.
    >
    > So obviously it depends on which store you go to.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    Probably the best option is to go to the newest Wal-Mart you can find as
    they will probably have the latest version of the photoprocessing
    equipment. I know the Sam's I go to has a Fuji Frontier machine, and
    the prints are quite good, as far as such things go.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 2, 2005
  12. Ron Hunter Guest

    Jim Redelfs wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >

    >>What's the specs on the printer Walmart uses. Not the
    >>instant unit, but the one that gets you prints within
    >>about an hour?

    > It will be one week tomorrow that I first used Wal-Mart's service. I uploaded
    > my jpegs, ordered "one hour" prints then drove to the store.
    >
    > Printed on good Fuji paper, I found the work to be very good. I was
    > completely satisfied.
    >
    > The prints came with a matte finish. I prefer glossy but don't remember the
    > option and suspect I don't have a choice.
    >
    > I'm going to use their service again the next time I need "everyday" printing
    > done.
    >
    > :)
    > JR

    Even though I have broadband, I would hesitate to upload my pictures
    that way. I beleive I could drive the the store (about 2 miles), load
    the flash card/CD into their machine, make my selections for size, etc.,
    and then shop for an hour, and use less time, overall. I only print
    rarely, but when I do, I usually need 100 or more prints done. It would
    take significant time to upload.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 2, 2005
  13. Guest

    I have interests in a good many things that
    are of no practical use; and still other things that aren't
    even any of my business. Geezz, just silly that way. :)
    "Need to know" You are kidding... right?

    Don Forsling wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > What's the specs on the printer Walmart uses. Not the
    > > instant unit, but the one that gets you prints within
    > > about an hour? I assume they all use the same unit.
    > > If not, I suppose I'll have to get more information
    > > at the store. Thanks

    > Unless you have an engineering-related need to know, why do you care

    what
    > the specs are? Have a nice frame of your choice printed at Walmart.

    If you
    > like the results, the specs are good enough. If you don't, they (or
    > something else) aren't.
    >
    > Cheers.
    , Jan 2, 2005
  14. secheese Guest

    On 02 Jan 2005 00:16:24 -0500, Michael Meissner
    <> wrote:

    >As I happen to prefer the matte
    >finish, I never used the service.

    Just an FYI... matte finish reduces the detail in your photo. I use
    matte myself, but often, I'll go for glossy when I want the sharpest
    possible detail.
    secheese, Jan 2, 2005
  15. secheese <> writes:

    > On 02 Jan 2005 00:16:24 -0500, Michael Meissner
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >As I happen to prefer the matte
    > >finish, I never used the service.

    > Just an FYI... matte finish reduces the detail in your photo. I use
    > matte myself, but often, I'll go for glossy when I want the sharpest
    > possible detail.

    Except when you hang it on the wall, you often times can't see the picture due
    to the reflections.....

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jan 2, 2005
  16. Gary Guest

    >>> What's the specs on the printer Walmart uses. Not the
    >>> instant unit, but the one that gets you prints within
    >>> about an hour?

    we were in a Sam's Club today and the big sign said digital 4x6 prints for 18
    cents each, one hour service. Now I will have to try them out!
    Gary, Jan 3, 2005
  17. secheese Guest

    On 02 Jan 2005 18:41:59 -0500, Michael Meissner
    <> wrote:

    >secheese <> writes:
    >
    >> On 02 Jan 2005 00:16:24 -0500, Michael Meissner
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >As I happen to prefer the matte
    >> >finish, I never used the service.

    >> Just an FYI... matte finish reduces the detail in your photo. I use
    >> matte myself, but often, I'll go for glossy when I want the sharpest
    >> possible detail.

    >Except when you hang it on the wall, you often times can't see the picture due
    >to the reflections.....

    Most serious gallerys insist on gloss finish and regular (i.e. not
    non-glare) glass for any photographs they place on display.
    secheese, Jan 3, 2005
  18. John Russell Guest

    <> wrote:
    >In some Walmarts you used to be able to order glossy prints, but not as a one
    >hour service (ie, they sent them out to a common lab in the region, and the
    >prints would be available the next day). As I happen to prefer the matte
    >finish, I never used the service. I don't know if they still offer it. Note,
    >walmart.com only does glossy prints, and you can save on the shipping cost by
    >having walmart.com send the prints to the store for pickup.

    Actually from walmart.com, by default you'll got glossy prints that
    take a couple of days to arrive at the store, but you can also choose
    the 1-hour service, which is printed in-store with a matte finish, for
    just a few cents more. This option only appears near the very end of
    the checkout process. I always choose the "delivery option" based not
    on when I want to pick it up, but on the finish I want.

    The trickiest part (in my nearby store anyway) is that each type of
    order seems to be filed in a different drawer, so I have to go into
    detail like "it's an Internet order, but I asked for 1-hour delivery,
    and it's 8x10".

    John
    John Russell, Jan 3, 2005
  19. Rudy Benner Guest

    "John Russell" <> wrote in message
    > On 02 Jan 2005 00:16:24 -0500, Michael Meissner
    > <> wrote:
    >>In some Walmarts you used to be able to order glossy prints, but not as a
    >>one
    >>hour service (ie, they sent them out to a common lab in the region, and
    >>the
    >>prints would be available the next day). As I happen to prefer the matte
    >>finish, I never used the service. I don't know if they still offer it.
    >>Note,
    >>walmart.com only does glossy prints, and you can save on the shipping cost
    >>by
    >>having walmart.com send the prints to the store for pickup.

    > Actually from walmart.com, by default you'll got glossy prints that
    > take a couple of days to arrive at the store, but you can also choose
    > the 1-hour service, which is printed in-store with a matte finish, for
    > just a few cents more. This option only appears near the very end of
    > the checkout process. I always choose the "delivery option" based not
    > on when I want to pick it up, but on the finish I want.
    >
    > The trickiest part (in my nearby store anyway) is that each type of
    > order seems to be filed in a different drawer, so I have to go into
    > detail like "it's an Internet order, but I asked for 1-hour delivery,
    > and it's 8x10".
    >
    > John

    Good information. I thought that glossy was the only option. I will look for
    it, if there is a next order. I just ordered a couple of 8x10s on a trial
    basis. If they are up to par, they will get more business. My dollar votes.

    Thanks John.

    R.
    Rudy Benner, Jan 3, 2005
  20. John Russell <> writes:

    > On 02 Jan 2005 00:16:24 -0500, Michael Meissner
    > <> wrote:
    > >In some Walmarts you used to be able to order glossy prints, but not as a
    > >one hour service (ie, they sent them out to a common lab in the region, and
    > >the prints would be available the next day). As I happen to prefer the
    > >matte finish, I never used the service. I don't know if they still offer
    > >it. Note, walmart.com only does glossy prints, and you can save on the
    > >shipping cost by having walmart.com send the prints to the store for pickup.

    > Actually from walmart.com, by default you'll got glossy prints that take a
    > couple of days to arrive at the store, but you can also choose the 1-hour
    > service, which is printed in-store with a matte finish, for just a few cents
    > more. This option only appears near the very end of the checkout process. I
    > always choose the "delivery option" based not on when I want to pick it up,
    > but on the finish I want.

    This is a relatively new option. I haven't used walmart.com in about a year or
    so, since I didn't like the glossy prints compared to the matte prints at the
    local store, and they also ruined the colors on a calendar I printed up (local
    store at the time didn't do calendars). Now that my local store has decided to
    also change the colors and boost the saturation, I have decided to vote with my
    feet, and have not used Walmart for printing since then.

    > The trickiest part (in my nearby store anyway) is that each type of
    > order seems to be filed in a different drawer, so I have to go into
    > detail like "it's an Internet order, but I asked for 1-hour delivery,
    > and it's 8x10".

    Back when I was using Walmart, I got to know who the photo manager was of the
    department, and usually the clue level of the manager was much, much higher
    than that of the clerks.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: