    Treasure Island

    Swiss Family Robinson

    and others.

    Jim Hollis, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Jim Hollis

    revoltnow Guest

    "Jim Hollis" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > At the local WalMart tonight and various higher priced DVD's normally 24.95
    > or so are marked down to 14.95
    >
    > Pollyanna
    >
    > Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea
    >
    > Parent Trap
    >
    > Treasure Island
    >
    > Swiss Family Robinson
    >

    > and others.

    Check out your local BestBuy or Circuit City. I've seen the Pollyanna
    DVD already priced at $14.99 as its regular price and at least this
    stores don't have slave-labor.

    revoltnow, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Jim Hollis

    rwright Guest

    I'm waiting for them to lower the price of SPIRITED AWAY. I know, I am a
    CHEP b**tard!

    rwright, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Jim Hollis

    Wade365 Guest

    << I'm waiting for them to lower the price of SPIRITED AWAY. I know, I am a
    CHEP b**tard! >>

    Cheap or not, you really SHOULD pay out and get this movie... I play it for
    people who think Anime is "Speed Racer" and they are tearing up by the end and
    asking if more of it is like that... to which I unfortunately have to answer
    'no'...

    Go buy it... you'll watch it so many times it'll pay for itself in no time...
    not like that "Akira" special edition.

    (Oh boy... now I'm gonna have to hear about how "Akira" and "Grave of the
    Fireflies" are better, just watch!) but I still proclaim loudly over the
    fan-boys:

    Greatest. Animated Feature. Ever.

    Wade365, Oct 23, 2003
  5. Jim Hollis

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Wade365
    <> wrote:

    > << I'm waiting for them to lower the price of SPIRITED AWAY. I know, I am a
    > CHEP b**tard! >>
    >
    > Cheap or not, you really SHOULD pay out and get this movie... I play it for
    > people who think Anime is "Speed Racer" and they are tearing up by the end and
    > asking if more of it is like that... to which I unfortunately have to answer
    > 'no'...
    >
    > Go buy it... you'll watch it so many times it'll pay for itself in no time...
    > not like that "Akira" special edition.
    >
    > (Oh boy... now I'm gonna have to hear about how "Akira" and "Grave of the
    > Fireflies" are better, just watch!) but I still proclaim loudly over the
    > fan-boys:
    >
    > Greatest. Animated Feature. Ever.

    Whatever floats your boat. I don't think Miazaki was at his best with
    the film, although it is good. Personally I thought Laputa and Nausicaa
    were better, and enjoy Kiki more.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Oct 23, 2003
  6. Jim Hollis

    Justin Guest

    Invid Fan wrote on [Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:02:01 -0400]:
    > In article <>, Wade365
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> << I'm waiting for them to lower the price of SPIRITED AWAY. I know, I am a
    >> CHEP b**tard! >>
    >>
    >> Cheap or not, you really SHOULD pay out and get this movie... I play it for
    >> people who think Anime is "Speed Racer" and they are tearing up by the end and
    >> asking if more of it is like that... to which I unfortunately have to answer
    >> 'no'...
    >>
    >> Go buy it... you'll watch it so many times it'll pay for itself in no time...
    >> not like that "Akira" special edition.
    >>
    >> (Oh boy... now I'm gonna have to hear about how "Akira" and "Grave of the
    >> Fireflies" are better, just watch!) but I still proclaim loudly over the
    >> fan-boys:
    >>
    >> Greatest. Animated Feature. Ever.

    > Whatever floats your boat. I don't think Miazaki was at his best with
    > the film, although it is good. Personally I thought Laputa and Nausicaa
    > were better, and enjoy Kiki more.

    I have to add Mononoke here as better than SA

    Justin, Oct 23, 2003
  7. Jim Hollis

    Wade365 Guest

    << Personally I thought Laputa and Nausicaa
    were better, and enjoy Kiki more. >>

    Maybe I'll give Kiki a chance... it didn't look like my cuppa but then I've
    been wrong a miriad of times in the past... do you know anything about "Castle
    In The Sky"?

    Wade365, Oct 23, 2003
  8. Jim Hollis

    Wade365 Guest

    << I have to add Mononoke here as better than SA >>

    I also think very highly of Mononoke, but the english dub is pretty
    attrocious... Billy Bob Thorton brings the whole piece down if you have to
    watch it in the dub (which is how most of my uninitiated friends gotta do it
    for the first time usually).

    Wade365, Oct 23, 2003
  9. Jim Hollis

    Justin Guest

    Wade365 wrote on [23 Oct 2003 20:12:07 GMT]:
    ><< I have to add Mononoke here as better than SA >>
    >
    > I also think very highly of Mononoke, but the english dub is pretty
    > attrocious... Billy Bob Thorton brings the whole piece down if you have to
    > watch it in the dub (which is how most of my uninitiated friends gotta do it
    > for the first time usually).

    Oh, if you must watch the dub, Castle in the Sky is a pretty damn good.

    Apart from Billy bob, the Mononoke dub is passable. Sort of...
    I personally love to watch it with all sound off. It's just so damn well
    drawn

    Justin, Oct 23, 2003
  10. "Wade365" <> wrote in message
    > << Personally I thought Laputa and Nausicaa
    > were better, and enjoy Kiki more. >>
    >
    > Maybe I'll give Kiki a chance... it didn't look like my cuppa but then

    I've
    > been wrong a miriad of times in the past... do you know anything about

    "Castle
    > In The Sky"?

    I find Kiki very entertaining, watched it several times this year when
    nothing was on tv. The opening scene is for me, something to behold in its
    beauty, direction and framing, detail of drawing, smoothness. The iconic use
    of an early transistor radio appearing several times in the film has
    resonance with me. My brother was the first on his block to have one, and
    the small red radio made in Japan was around the house for a long time.

    Castle is a little heavy in its themes for light viewing. I find some of the
    drawing quality to be lacking compared to the other Miyazaki films, the
    figures look a little like 70s tv cartoons. It's a good film. The robot
    destroying the fortress has to be one of the great action sequences of any
    film animated or not. Mark Hamill does voiceover FWIW.

    I still feel SA is his best film, the quality of drawing and animiation as
    well as the themes make it that for me. The witch may be a little too
    broadly played for my taste. The feeling evoked by the long train ride over
    the flooded landscape is quite powerful, just to name one moment.

    Steve

    Steve Knoblock, Oct 24, 2003
  11. Jim Hollis

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Wade365
    <> wrote:

    > << Personally I thought Laputa and Nausicaa
    > were better, and enjoy Kiki more. >>
    >
    > Maybe I'll give Kiki a chance... it didn't look like my cuppa but then I've
    > been wrong a miriad of times in the past... do you know anything about "Castle
    > In The Sky"?

    That's "Laputa" (The full name of the original is "Laputa: Castle in
    the Sky". However, the creator didn't realize that 'la puta' means
    whore in Spanish... and yes, he agreed with Disney's name change). It's
    an incredible film, influenced partly by Gulliver's Travels. As for
    Kiki, it's a lighter then most of Miyazaki's films. Just the story of
    one girl having to survive on her own.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Oct 24, 2003