    Gene Palmiter
    freebridge design group
    www.route611.com & Route 611 Magazine

    Gene Palmiter, Nov 10, 2004

  2. Gene Palmiter

    Mark Johnson Guest

    "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote:

    >A client needs 8x10 prints immediately....product shots for a show in NY.
    >Normally I use www.dophoto.com and I get the work back in the mail in a few
    >days. But, since we need faster service we will order with Wal-Mart and go
    >pick them up in the morning. Well...that is...If I can manage to upload them
    >by then! Wal-Mart is only taking 4 photos at a time...and half of them are
    >being mangled and have to be re-uploaded. I hope the quality is worth
    >it...had to settle for mat paper for one-hour service. Anyway...Looks like I
    >will be up all night trying to make this happen. It's too much aggravation
    >for just $1200...ummm....well....maybe just the upper limit of aggravation
    >for that much.

    I've had a lot of luck with the Costco setup. But then photo printers
    are now just sold as a come on for the ink cartridges. So you can get
    a photo printer, even at Costco.

    I still think these professional services would be best, particularly
    for framing or gallery work. But maybe certain of these inkjets can
    now match it. I don't know that's the case. It just would not surprize
    me.

    Mark Johnson, Nov 10, 2004

  3. In article <PYhkd.840$8N4.136@trndny09>, Gene Palmiter
    <> wrote:

    > A client needs 8x10 prints immediately....product shots for a show in NY.
    > Normally I use www.dophoto.com and I get the work back in the mail in a few
    > days. But, since we need faster service we will order with Wal-Mart and go
    > pick them up in the morning. Well...that is...If I can manage to upload them
    > by then! Wal-Mart is only taking 4 photos at a time...and half of them are
    > being mangled and have to be re-uploaded. I hope the quality is worth
    > it...had to settle for mat paper for one-hour service. Anyway...Looks like I
    > will be up all night trying to make this happen. It's too much aggravation
    > for just $1200...ummm....well....maybe just the upper limit of aggravation
    > for that much.

    Yeah, pros the world over depend on Wal-Mart.

    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 10, 2004
  4. Gene Palmiter

    Bruce Guest

    The Best Buy ImageLab service has major issues too.

    When they started the service I decided to give it a try.

    So on Friday (10/29/2004) I ordered a large print of one of my
    favorite pictures and indicated that I would pick it up at the Morse
    Road store (Columbus, Ohio). I also place an order on 11/1/2004 for
    some large prints from my wedding. Their website displayed both of
    these orders as printed within a few hours of ordering them. On
    11/4/2004 they online status still said "Printed". Nothing about
    shipped. So I decided to stop by the store on my way home from work
    to see if my order was there.

    First I went to the digital camera department. They had several large
    multimedia displays advertising the new ImageLab service. When I
    finally found an employee I asked him to check on my order. He didn't
    know how to do that, or where they would be located so he directed me
    to the customer service desk. I then asked the clerk at the Customer
    Service desk about my order and was told to go to the digital camera
    department. I explained that they sent me to him. I spent the next 15
    minutes waiting while he ran around looking for anyone that knew
    anything about in-store pickup for the ImageLab orders. In total I
    there were at least five people involved and not even one of them knew
    anything about it. He then went to look for another person. I waited 5
    more minutes and finally gave up in frustration.

    On 11/5/2004 I went online to check the status page. My 10/29/2004
    order now had a status of "Missing". I checked the status again on
    11/6/2004 and both orders now had a status of "In Transit". So
    apparently they found the missing order (more likely they reprinted
    it). However, it is now November 10th, the status is still "In
    Transit" and I still haven't received a response to any of my support
    requests.

    If you go to their web site it states that in-store pickup (no photo
    lab at the store) will take 5 business days. We are now on days 8 & 7
    (for the 2 orders), and the photo's are still in transit (however,
    they were very quick to charge my credit card for the orders).

    My advice, avoid the Best Buy ImageLab.

    Bruce, Nov 10, 2004
  5. Gene Palmiter

    Terence Guest

    "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message news:<PYhkd.840$8N4.136@trndny09>...
    > A client needs 8x10 prints immediately....product shots for a show in NY.
    > Normally I use www.dophoto.com and I get the work back in the mail in a few
    > days. But, since we need faster service we will order with Wal-Mart and go
    > pick them up in the morning. Well...that is...If I can manage to upload them
    > by then! Wal-Mart is only taking 4 photos at a time...and half of them are
    > being mangled and have to be re-uploaded. I hope the quality is worth
    > it...had to settle for mat paper for one-hour service. Anyway...Looks like I
    > will be up all night trying to make this happen. It's too much aggravation
    > for just $1200...ummm....well....maybe just the upper limit of aggravation
    > for that much.

    I've used Walmart's online photo service only once and I will never go
    back to it, but for different reasons than you indicated. I live in
    Canada so the level of service might be different, but basically, once
    the photos are uploaded, they are then printed at only a few select
    locations. If your nearest Walmart store happens not to be one of
    these designated locations, you have to wait for the prints to get
    shipped, and this can take days and days. I had to wait close to a
    week for mine - I was under the impression (as wrong as it was) that
    their online system would simply tie in to each store and send your
    order to be printed to the desired store.

    Having said that, I do go to Walmart to get my prints just. But I go
    in person and burn my images onto a CDRW.

    Terence, Nov 10, 2004
  6. "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > In article <PYhkd.840$8N4.136@trndny09>, Gene Palmiter
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > A client needs 8x10 prints immediately....product shots for a show in

    NY.
    > > Normally I use www.dophoto.com and I get the work back in the mail in a

    few
    > > days. But, since we need faster service we will order with Wal-Mart and

    go
    > > pick them up in the morning. Well...that is...If I can manage to upload

    them
    > > by then! Wal-Mart is only taking 4 photos at a time...and half of them

    are
    > > being mangled and have to be re-uploaded. I hope the quality is worth
    > > it...had to settle for mat paper for one-hour service. Anyway...Looks

    like I
    > > will be up all night trying to make this happen. It's too much

    aggravation
    > > for just $1200...ummm....well....maybe just the upper limit of

    aggravation
    > > for that much.

    > Yeah, pros the world over depend on Wal-Mart.

    You know....maybe they do. Those who need to have prints waiting for a
    client across the country. It's a good concept...but I won't try it again.
    Just too many problems.

    Gene Palmiter, Nov 10, 2004
  7. > I've used Walmart's online photo service only once and I will never go
    > back to it, but for different reasons than you indicated. I live in
    > Canada so the level of service might be different, but basically, once
    > the photos are uploaded, they are then printed at only a few select
    > locations. If your nearest Walmart store happens not to be one of
    > these designated locations, you have to wait for the prints to get
    > shipped, and this can take days and days. I had to wait close to a
    > week for mine - I was under the impression (as wrong as it was) that
    > their online system would simply tie in to each store and send your
    > order to be printed to the desired store.
    >
    > Having said that, I do go to Walmart to get my prints just. But I go
    > in person and burn my images onto a CDRW.

    Well...in this case I am not where the client is. Several stores in this
    area seem to do one-hour work. Maybe the situation has improved.

    Well....I am on hold....but the nice lady is trying to verify
    everything....and let the store know that someone will pick them up....and
    that its ok to pick up professional looking prints.

    Gene Palmiter, Nov 10, 2004
  8. Gene Palmiter

    RSD99 Guest

    So far ... Costco's local minilab seems to work ok for me.

    Take a CD into the store, upload it to the Noritsu printer, do shopping,
    get pictures. The printer is even profiled at www.drycreekphoto.com ... and
    they'll do every common size up to 12" x 18"

    RSD99, Nov 10, 2004