Wallace & Gromit: Music Changed?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by One-Shot Scot, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. I have a copy of the original BBC Video _Wallace & Gromit_, which is out of
    print. My favorite episode on this disk is _The Wrong Trousers_. I had
    contemplated upgrading to the latest _W & G_ DVD, until I saw this:

    "In terms of the films themselves, The Wrong Trousers has been altered, and
    that's what really bugs me. I think it has something to do with copyright
    laws, but several music tracks have been replaced with terrible-sounding
    substitutes. Gromit's birthday card plays a very non-birthday-card-sounding
    version of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" instead of "Happy Birthday To
    You". When the Penguin is listening to the radio, the songs "Happy Talk" and
    "How Much Is That Doggy In The Window" have been replaced with terrible,
    generic organ music that completely takes away the mood of the scenes.
    Consequently, the sound of Wallace humming "How Much Is That Doggy In The
    Window" the next morning has also been removed.

    "This bit may not bother most people, but for some reason all the
    soundtracks for the shorts are a semitone flat. I can only assume this is
    because the film was transferred at a slower rate."

    So, is the music which has been substituted for the original soundtrack
    really all that bad? Also, are the soundtracks for the three short subjects
    as screwed up as the Amazon reviewer seems to think they are?

    I'll probably end up getting the new _W & G_ disk for the Cracking
    Contraption shorts and its supposedly better video. But I think that I will
    keep my BBC Video _W & G_ DVD. After all, it does have the original
    soundtrack for _The Wrong Trousers_.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005LC1I/102-8131998-7046534?v=glance

    One-Shot Scot, Oct 20, 2005

  2. One-Shot Scot

    anthony Guest

    Copyright laws are different in the States than in the UK. It's
    probable that the longer protection given under US law makes the change
    necessary. So why don't you just go to amazon.co.uk and buy the UK DVD
    instead. That's supposing, of course, that you have a multiregion DVD
    player and a TV that can handle the superior PAL format as well as NTSC
    -- but who'd buy a single-format DVD player or television set nowadays
    anyway!

    anthony, Oct 20, 2005

  3. When the Penguin is listening to the radio, the songs "Happy Talk" and
    "How Much Is That Doggy In The Window" have been replaced with terrible,
    generic organ music that completely takes away the mood of the scenes.

    "mood of the scenes" !!!

    that coming from a play-doh made film about a funny head shaped man and a
    dog that cleverer than him!.

    bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaaaaa

    howie feltersnatch, Oct 20, 2005
  4. One-Shot Scot

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "anthony" <> wrote in message
    > That's supposing, of course, that you have a multiregion DVD
    > player and a TV that can handle the superior PAL format

    PAL is only slightly superior in picture, and decidedly inferior in
    audio. But you knew that, of course.

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 20, 2005
  5. One-Shot Scot

    P Pron Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    || "anthony" <> wrote in message
    ||| That's supposing, of course, that you have a multiregion DVD
    ||| player and a TV that can handle the superior PAL format
    || PAL is only slightly superior in picture, and decidedly inferior in
    || audio. But you knew that, of course.

    In what way is PAL decidely inferior in audio?

    paul

    P Pron, Oct 20, 2005
  6. "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote:

    >So, is the music which has been substituted for the original soundtrack
    >really all that bad? Also, are the soundtracks for the three short subjects
    >as screwed up as the Amazon reviewer seems to think they are?

    I think the substitutions are pretty horrible. I didn't notice any speed
    difference. But after finding out the DVD is altered I chucked it instead of
    chucking my laserdisc, which isn't altered.

    The "semitone flat" reference may actually refer to the NTSC DVD being
    mastered at the correct speed, since for the supposedly superior PAL format
    the film is played 4% too fast.

    Kimba W. Lion, Oct 20, 2005
  7. "P Pron" <> wrote in message
    > Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > || "anthony" <> wrote in message
    > || PAL is only slightly superior in picture, and decidedly inferior in
    > || audio. But you knew that, of course.
    >
    > In what way is PAL decidedly inferior in audio?
    >
    > paul

    The audio on PAL movies is sped up by 4%. Here's why:

    24 Frames Per Second.

    Movies are projected at 24 frames per second. 24 full images are
    projected off the film onto the screen every second. This is a world wide
    standard. This is all well and good, but a problem arises when we want to
    transfer a movie to video.

    50 Fields Per Second.

    The PAL TV system shows images at 50 fields per second. One half of an
    image is displayed and then the other half of the image is displayed. The
    net result of this is that 25 full images are shown per second.

    Effects of the 4% Speedup.

    The most obvious effect of this 4% speedup is that the film runs for 4%
    less time. Take as an example the recent movie The Mask of Zorro. The
    theatrical running time for this movie was 136 minutes according to the
    Internet Movie Database. The running time of this movie on Region 4 DVD is
    132 minutes, 4% less.

    A less obvious effect of this 4% speedup is that the audio for the film
    is both 4% faster and 4% higher in pitch. In musical terms, this equates to
    a rise in pitch of approximately one semitone.

    Another less obvious effect of this 4% speedup is that the on-screen
    action occurs 4% faster.

    I find PAL's 4% increase in speed to be very annoying, particularly when the
    pitch of the music is off by one semitone. On the other hand, some people
    don't notice -- or don't care -- about the chipmunk effect that is imparted
    to movie dialog and the accompanying off-key music inherent in PAL movies.
    To them, the superior PAL picture is all that matters.

    http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/PALSpeedUp/PALSpeedUp.asp

    One-Shot Scot, Oct 20, 2005
  8. "Kimba W. Lion" <> wrote in message
    > "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote:
    >
    > >So, is the music which has been substituted for the original soundtrack
    > >really all that bad? Also, are the soundtracks for the three short
    > >subjects as screwed up as the Amazon reviewer seems to think they are?

    > I think the substitutions are pretty horrible. I didn't notice any speed
    > difference. But after finding out the DVD is altered I chucked it instead
    > >of chucking my laserdisc, which isn't altered.

    > The "semitone flat" reference may actually refer to the NTSC DVD being
    > mastered at the correct speed, since for the supposedly superior PAL
    > >format the film is played 4% too fast.

    Thanks for your post. You might want to upgrade from your LaserDisc to the
    BBC DVD version of _The Incredible Adventures of Wallace and Gromit_. The
    BBC version of this title seems to be readily available on both eBay and
    Amazon:

    eBay prices range from $0.99 (starting bid) up to $16.49 (current bid).

    Amazon Marketplace prices range from $37.95 to $169.99.

    http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...pos=ZIP/Postal&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/of...ef=dp_pb_a//102-8131998-7046534?condition=all

    One-Shot Scot, Oct 20, 2005
  9. One-Shot Scot

    Biz Guest

    "anthony" <> wrote in message
    > Copyright laws are different in the States than in the UK. It's
    > probable that the longer protection given under US law makes the change
    > necessary. So why don't you just go to amazon.co.uk and buy the UK DVD
    > instead. That's supposing, of course, that you have a multiregion DVD
    > player and a TV that can handle the superior PAL format as well as NTSC
    > -- but who'd buy a single-format DVD player or television set nowadays
    > anyway!

    Pretty much everyone in North America only have reasonable access to
    NTSC/HDTV only tv's, and most of the decent dvd players, not all those cheap
    POS play everything brands that last for 2 weeks, are not region-free, and
    cant easily be made region-free. You must not be from North America, cos
    you would already know about that issue then.

    Biz, Oct 20, 2005
  10. One-Shot Scot

    Stan Brown Guest

    Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:49:32 -0700 from One-Shot Scot <>:
    > So, is the music which has been substituted for the original soundtrack
    > really all that bad?

    I find it very jarring, and it does significantly detract from my
    copy of the region 1 DVD. The VHS tape did have the original music,
    but I didn't know till now that the BBC DVD (region 2, I suppose?)
    also had the original soundtrack.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Oct 20, 2005
  11. One-Shot Scot

    Stan Brown Guest

    Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:02:20 -0700 from One-Shot Scot <>:
    > The most obvious effect of this 4% speedup is that the film runs for 4%
    > less time. Take as an example the recent movie The Mask of Zorro. The
    > theatrical running time for this movie was 136 minutes according to the
    > Internet Movie Database. The running time of this movie on Region 4 DVD is
    > 132 minutes, 4% less.

    4% of 136 (or 132) is upwards of 5 minutes. 136-132 = 4 minutes.

    ??

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Oct 20, 2005
  12. One-Shot Scot

    Stan Brown Guest

    Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:25:23 -0700 from One-Shot Scot <>:
    > Thanks for your post. You might want to upgrade from your LaserDisc to the
    > BBC DVD version of _The Incredible Adventures of Wallace and Gromit_. The
    > BBC version of this title seems to be readily available on both eBay and
    > Amazon:

    Hold it!

    I have the BBC DVD (I've just looked at the cover), and it has the
    soundtrack with altered tunes. The ISBN is 0-7907-5810-5, and the UPC
    is 94051 15102.

    Were there two different "BBC DVDs" of TIAoWaG issued in the US?

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Oct 20, 2005
  13. One-Shot Scot

    P Pron Guest

    One-Shot Scot wrote:
    || "P Pron" <> wrote in message
    ||| In what way is PAL decidedly inferior in audio?
    ||| paul
    || The audio on PAL movies is sped up by 4%. Here's why:

    <snip>

    Yes - I'm aware of that. That's why the sound on most *movies* played on PAL
    is arguably inferior. But it doesn't answer the question as to why Mr Zyber
    believes that *PAL* (not just movies on PAL, which this thread isn't about)
    is "decidedly inferior in audio."

    But I'm not aware of there being anything inherently wrong with the audio on
    PAL as a system, which is what Mr Zyber seems to think - and the Wallace &
    Gromit programme in the subject heading was probably filmed at 25 fps
    anyway, given that it was made in Britain for British television...

    paul

    P Pron, Oct 20, 2005
  14. One-Shot Scot

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Stan Brown () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:02:20 -0700 from One-Shot Scot <>:
    > > The most obvious effect of this 4% speedup is that the film runs for 4%
    > > less time. Take as an example the recent movie The Mask of Zorro. The
    > > theatrical running time for this movie was 136 minutes according to the
    > > Internet Movie Database. The running time of this movie on Region 4 DVD is
    > > 132 minutes, 4% less.

    > 4% of 136 (or 132) is upwards of 5 minutes. 136-132 = 4 minutes.
    >
    > ??

    Different rounding? If the movie is actually almost 137 minutes long, then
    the 4% speedup version would be 131min31sec. If the NTSC version rounds
    down (not unreasonable since the counter would never read "137") but the
    PAL version rounds up, you would get 136min and 132min for the running
    times.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife, Oct 20, 2005
  15. "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:25:23 -0700 from One-Shot Scot <>:
    > > Thanks for your post. You might want to upgrade from your LaserDisc to
    > > the BBC DVD version of _The Incredible Adventures of Wallace and
    > > Gromit_. The BBC version of this title seems to be readily available on
    > > both eBay and Amazon:

    > Hold it!
    >
    > I have the BBC DVD (I've just looked at the cover), and it has the
    > soundtrack with altered tunes. The ISBN is 0-7907-5810-5, and the UPC
    > is 94051 15102.
    >
    > Were there two different "BBC DVDs" of TIAoWaG issued in the US?

    It seems that there were indeed two different BBC DVDs. Because I have my
    _W & G_ DVD in a jewel case, I had to go to the closet and dig out the box.

    The actual title of this DVD is _Aardman presents Wallace & Gromit the First
    Three Adventures_. (This would also explain why my box doesn't match any of
    the previous website pictures that I have found.)

    There is also some confusion as to the actual name of this DVD, but I
    finally found it, under the title _Wallace & Gromit: The Best of Aardman
    Animation_ (1996). My box looks exactly like the one pictured here:

    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0118114/

    Also Known As:
    Wallace & Gromit
    Wallace & Gromit: The First Three Adventures (USA)

    The ISBN is 0-86162-12596-6

    The box says: CBS/Fox Video and BBC Video.

    The box reference to http://www.aardman.com works and it is the craziest
    website that I have ever seen.

    The box reference to www.wallaceandgromitdvd.com is a dead link.

    One-Shot Scot, Oct 20, 2005
  16. One-Shot Scot

    Stan Brown Guest

    Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:12:15 -0400 from Jeff Rife <>:
    > Stan Brown () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:02:20 -0700 from One-Shot Scot <>:
    > > > The most obvious effect of this 4% speedup is that the film runs for 4%
    > > > less time. Take as an example the recent movie The Mask of Zorro. The
    > > > theatrical running time for this movie was 136 minutes according to the
    > > > Internet Movie Database. The running time of this movie on Region 4 DVD is
    > > > 132 minutes, 4% less.

    > > 4% of 136 (or 132) is upwards of 5 minutes. 136-132 = 4 minutes.
    > >
    > > ??

    > Different rounding? If the movie is actually almost 137 minutes long, then
    > the 4% speedup version would be 131min31sec. If the NTSC version rounds
    > down (not unreasonable since the counter would never read "137") but the
    > PAL version rounds up, you would get 136min and 132min for the running
    > times.

    "That's my story, and I'm sticking to it." :)

    Seriously, the two explanations I thought of were "typo" and
    "rounding".

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Oct 20, 2005
  17. One-Shot Scot

    Stan Brown Guest

    Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:55:22 -0700 from One-Shot Scot <>:

    > It seems that there were indeed two different BBC DVDs. Because I have my
    > _W & G_ DVD in a jewel case, I had to go to the closet and dig out the box.
    >
    > The actual title of this DVD is _Aardman presents Wallace & Gromit the First
    > Three Adventures_. (This would also explain why my box doesn't match any of
    > the previous website pictures that I have found.)
    >
    > There is also some confusion as to the actual name of this DVD, but I
    > finally found it, under the title _Wallace & Gromit: The Best of Aardman
    > Animation_ (1996). My box looks exactly like the one pictured here:

    Mine is /The Incredible Adventures of Wallace and Gromit/, and the
    cover is quite different from yours
    <http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0326969/>. It's the one with the altered
    soundtrack. Ebay buyers, beware!

    (Mine also lacks "Creature Comforts"; does yours have it?)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Oct 20, 2005
  18. One-Shot Scot

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Jeff Rife, Oct 20, 2005
  19. One-Shot Scot

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "P Pron" <> wrote in message
    > Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > || "anthony" <> wrote in message
    > || PAL is only slightly superior in picture, and decidedly inferior in
    > || audio. But you knew that, of course.
    >
    > In what way is PAL decidely inferior in audio?

    PAL video is sped up 4% in the conversion from 24fps film to 25fps PAL.
    PAL DVDs of movies run faster than NTSC DVDs of the same movies. This
    also affects the pitch of the audio, and can be very noticeable
    especially in music.

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 20, 2005
  20. One-Shot Scot

    jayembee Guest

    Stan Brown <> wrote:

    > Were there two different "BBC DVDs" of TIAoWaG issued in the US?

    At least two. The first one (which I have) was released by Fox Home
    Video, when they had the BBC distribution rights. The second was
    from Warner Home Video after they acquired the BBC distribution
    rights. The current W&G release is from, what, Universal/Dreamworks?

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Oct 21, 2005