    What is your own walkin around lens and why that choice?

    Thanks

    Joe
    Joe, Dec 6, 2005

  2. Joe

    RON Guest

    I have a 20D and between the two lens you have noted by all means go with
    the 17--85mm . The IS makes a big difference.
    My walk around lens is a 24--70mm F2.8 L USM.

    RON, Dec 6, 2005

  3. Joe

    Pat Guest

    The 17-85 was my first lens. Its the lens that spends most of the time on
    my camera. You will probably buy all the other len's soon. I've got 5 now
    and looking for more.
    Pat, Dec 6, 2005
  4. Joe

    Mike H Guest

    I got the 17 - 85 IS for my 20D and have been very satisfied with it. I've been
    especially happy with the low-light capabilities of the combination. If you want to
    see some examples ("Travel log" type photos, not "artsy") check my web site:
    http://www.hammocktree.org/ms/CMTC05/CMTC05.html

    Mike H.

    Mike H, Dec 6, 2005
  5. Joe

    Skip M Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    > Walkin' around lens
    >
    > I have pretty much settled on a Canon 20D as my first dSLR camera. I
    > am trying to decide between the 2 kits offered with the lenses below
    > or buy a body and mate up a lens.
    > EF-S 17-85 IS
    > EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    >
    > I read quite a bit on this group and read the phrase walkin' around
    > lens. I expect Canon would describe both of the above as suitable for
    > that purpose.
    >
    > What do you consider a good lens for general purpose use on the 20D?
    >
    > What is your own walkin around lens and why that choice?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Joe

    My own "walking around" lens is the 28-135IS, which, on my 5D is the
    equivalent of the 17-85IS on the 20D, because of the crop factor, or lack of
    it on my 5D. The same lens pretty much served/serves the same role on my
    20D, 'cause my 16-35 is a bit bulky just to carry around, and doesn't get
    enough reach for most "walking around" shots, and it serves this role in
    place of my 24-70 because that thing is much heavier than the 28-135, or the
    17-85, for that matter.
    IS will bail you out more times than you can anticipate. If the choice is
    between equivalent lenses, one with IS and one without, I will always choose
    the one with.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Dec 6, 2005
  6. Joe

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > I read quite a bit on this group and read the phrase walkin' around
    > lens. I expect Canon would describe both of the above as suitable for
    > that purpose.
    >
    > What do you consider a good lens for general purpose use on the 20D?

    I have a 350D and use a 16-35 f2.8 L as my walk about lens because of the
    shots I tend to take when out on a non-specific shoot. It's a bit big so you
    may be better with the 17 - 40 f4 L; and save some money. As second choice I
    use my 24 - 70 f2.8L. Again it's bulky and heavy but it does take excellent
    pictures. The new 24 - 105 f4 IS L may be of interest to you. I shall
    certainly be looking at one of these when Canon have settled the slight
    technical problem the first ones have had.

    John
    Eatmorepies, Dec 6, 2005
  7. Joe

    Guest

    On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 19:03:14 -0500, Joe <> wrote:

    >Walkin' around lens
    >
    >I have pretty much settled on a Canon 20D as my first dSLR camera. I
    >am trying to decide between the 2 kits offered with the lenses below
    >or buy a body and mate up a lens.
    >EF-S 17-85 IS
    >EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    >
    >I read quite a bit on this group and read the phrase walkin' around
    >lens. I expect Canon would describe both of the above as suitable for
    >that purpose.
    >
    >What do you consider a good lens for general purpose use on the 20D?
    >
    >What is your own walkin around lens and why that choice?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Joe

    Mine is a 28-300, all purpose and no need to invite dust-bunnies into the
    camera...
    , Dec 7, 2005
  8. Joe

    Skip M Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 19:03:14 -0500, Joe <> wrote:
    >
    >>Walkin' around lens
    >>
    >>I have pretty much settled on a Canon 20D as my first dSLR camera. I
    >>am trying to decide between the 2 kits offered with the lenses below
    >>or buy a body and mate up a lens.
    >>EF-S 17-85 IS
    >>EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    >>
    >>I read quite a bit on this group and read the phrase walkin' around
    >>lens. I expect Canon would describe both of the above as suitable for
    >>that purpose.
    >>
    >>What do you consider a good lens for general purpose use on the 20D?
    >>
    >>What is your own walkin around lens and why that choice?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Joe

    > Mine is a 28-300, all purpose and no need to invite dust-bunnies into the
    > camera...

    $2200 can pay for a lot of sensor cleaning...

    Skip M, Dec 7, 2005
  9. Joe

    jean Guest

    "Joe" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > Walkin' around lens
    >
    > I have pretty much settled on a Canon 20D as my first dSLR camera. I
    > am trying to decide between the 2 kits offered with the lenses below
    > or buy a body and mate up a lens.
    > EF-S 17-85 IS
    > EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    >
    > I read quite a bit on this group and read the phrase walkin' around
    > lens. I expect Canon would describe both of the above as suitable for
    > that purpose.
    >
    > What do you consider a good lens for general purpose use on the 20D?
    >
    > What is your own walkin around lens and why that choice?

    Canon 17-40 f4 L covers the right range, sharp, fast to focus, lighter than
    my 24-70 f2.8L and a lot smaller too. The downside, f4 which is easily
    compensated by bumping up the ISO.

    Jean
    jean, Dec 9, 2005
  10. Joe

    Guest

    If you're planning on staying with non-full frame digitals for a while,
    I'd consider the sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX. Wider range than the canon
    17-40, constant f/2.8 and sharp (at f/4). Aside from a bit of
    vignetting, and louder AF motor, I love mine. Of course, you'll be
    SOL if you wind up with a 5D, but it costs a couple hundred bucks less.
    , Dec 9, 2005