Walkie-Talkie type Voip application?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by steve.button@gmail.com, Aug 15, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I'm looking for a Walkie-Talkie like application to run across a couple
    of PC's on my home network. This is not a proper Voip application,
    which give a full two way conversation. I'm looking for something which
    would run constantly in the background, and when you push the "talk"
    button (space bar, something?) it allows you to speak straight away to
    the PC at the other end.

    I have Skype already and don't want to have to wait for it to initiate
    the call (5 seconds) and then wait for the person at the other end (my
    wife) to trot over to the PC and answer the call. I just want to hit
    the button and start speaking and it come out the other end. Just like
    a walkie talkie would really.

    This is for stuff that you'd normally shout around the house. "Can you
    get that phone call", or "Would you like tea or coffee?" or "Has that
    washing finished?" or "Come to lunch now" or "get off that bloody PC
    and come in the house" or "You stink of poo"... or whatever.

    Anyway, I've been googling (Hope they don't sue* me for that) around
    and can't find anything suitable. Most results seem to give stuff about
    Verizon PTT or other cellular/mobile stuff.

    Ooooo. And one PC is WinXP and t'other is Linux.

    Such a thing must exist though?

    Thanks,

    Steve

    * http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/15/google_brand_abuse/

    , Aug 15, 2006

  2. paul123 Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a Walkie-Talkie like application to run across a couple
    > of PC's on my home network. This is not a proper Voip application,
    > which give a full two way conversation. I'm looking for something which
    > would run constantly in the background, and when you push the "talk"
    > button (space bar, something?) it allows you to speak straight away to
    > the PC at the other end.
    >
    > I have Skype already and don't want to have to wait for it to initiate
    > the call (5 seconds) and then wait for the person at the other end (my
    > wife) to trot over to the PC and answer the call. I just want to hit
    > the button and start speaking and it come out the other end. Just like
    > a walkie talkie would really.
    >
    > This is for stuff that you'd normally shout around the house. "Can you
    > get that phone call", or "Would you like tea or coffee?" or "Has that
    > washing finished?" or "Come to lunch now" or "get off that bloody PC
    > and come in the house" or "You stink of poo"... or whatever.
    >
    > Anyway, I've been googling (Hope they don't sue* me for that) around
    > and can't find anything suitable. Most results seem to give stuff about
    > Verizon PTT or other cellular/mobile stuff.
    >
    > Ooooo. And one PC is WinXP and t'other is Linux.
    >
    > Such a thing must exist though?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve
    >

    > * http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/15/google_brand_abuse/

    Maybe not the solution you're looking for, but why not use something
    like Yahoo messenger (or any messenger type prog where you have to
    press a key to speak) on each machine, set up a call between the 2
    machines at the beginning of the day and leave it open? That way, when
    you wanted to "tannoy*" the other person, you just key up and speak.

    (*I think Google could be on a bit of a sticky wicket trying to stop
    people "googling" instead of doing a Google search)

    paul123, Aug 15, 2006

  3. news Guest

    In message <>,
    writes
    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm looking for a Walkie-Talkie like application to run across a couple
    >of PC's on my home network.

    Steve, what you need is TeamSpeak. It does exactly what you want.

    http://www.goteamspeak.com/

    --
    Ian

    news, Aug 15, 2006
  4. Guest

    news wrote:
    > In message <>,
    > writes
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I'm looking for a Walkie-Talkie like application to run across a couple
    > >of PC's on my home network.

    > Steve, what you need is TeamSpeak. It does exactly what you want.
    >
    > http://www.goteamspeak.com/
    >
    > --
    > Ian

    MSN messenger has a push to talk option just like you want.

    Rich

    , Aug 16, 2006
  5. news Guest

    In message <>,
    writes

    >news wrote:
    >> In message <>,
    >> writes
    >> >Hi,
    >> >
    >> >I'm looking for a Walkie-Talkie like application to run across a couple
    >> >of PC's on my home network.

    >> Steve, what you need is TeamSpeak. It does exactly what you want.
    >>
    >> http://www.goteamspeak.com/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ian

    >MSN messenger has a push to talk option just like you want.
    >
    >Rich

    Does MSN Messenger run under Linux? The OP said that one machine was a
    Linux machine. That's why I suggested TeamSpeak, which runs under both
    Windows and Linux.

    --
    Ian

    news, Aug 16, 2006
  6. Brian Guest

    On 2006-08-16, news <> wrote:

    > In message <>,
    > writes
    >>
    >>MSN messenger has a push to talk option just like you want.
    >>
    >>Rich
    >>

    > Does MSN Messenger run under Linux? The OP said that one machine was a
    > Linux machine. That's why I suggested TeamSpeak, which runs under both
    > Windows and Linux.

    No, not unless it runs with the help of wine. But ekiga does and it can
    communicate, so I read, with Messenger and NetMeeting.

    Brian.

    Brian, Aug 16, 2006