Wal-Mart Undercuts Netflix & Blockbuster.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by One-Shot Scot, Nov 3, 2004.

  1. NOV. 2 | Wal-Mart.com joined the online DVD rental price war Tuesday.

    The company slashed the monthly subscription price of its DVD rental
    service plan for three movies out at a time from $18.76 to $17.36,
    undercutting recent price cuts by both Netflix and Blockbuster.

    In mid-October, Netflix announced during a conference call with analysts
    that it was slashing its fee, effective this week, by $4 to $17.99. The
    cut was an attempt to drive subscriptions to its service in anticipation
    of Amazon.com entering the online DVD rental game.

    Blockbuster immediately followed suit, cutting its price to $17.49 for
    its three-movies-out plan.

    At the time of the Netflix announcement, the company's stock, which has
    a history of volatile swings up and down but had been trading in the
    teens prior to the announcement, plummeted about 40% and has been
    hovering in the $10 range since.

    The Wal-Mart news was not officially announced Tuesday but a
    spokesperson confirmed the price shortly before the market closed.
    Although Wal-Mart is by far the biggest seller of DVDs, the price change
    is not expected to affect Wal-Mart's stock price as the fledgling online
    rental service is a tiny fraction of Wal-Mart's business. It has yet to
    be seen how and if the price change will affect Netflix and/or
    Blockbuster.

    All three companies allow subscribers an unlimited amount of monthly
    rentals with no late fees and three movies out at a time. The services
    also offer different price plans for fewer or more DVDs out at a time.

    Wal-Mart is cutting the price only on its three-movie-out plan. All
    other plans will remain the same price, a spokeswoman said.
    One-Shot Scot, Nov 3, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote:

    > The company slashed the monthly subscription price of its DVD rental
    > service plan for three movies out at a time from $18.76 to $17.36,
    > undercutting recent price cuts by both Netflix and Blockbuster.

    This is great news! So now I can see all the movies that I don't really
    care for and not see ANY of the harder to find stuff and I get to save a
    whopping $0.63 in the process!!!

    WOO HOO!!! Life is good under George Bush's America!!! :)
    Reginald Dwight, Nov 3, 2004

  3. One-Shot Scot

    Edward Reid Guest

    On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 12:17:55 -0500, Reginald Dwight wrote
    > This is great news! So now I can see all the movies that I don't really
    > care for and not see ANY of the harder to find stuff and I get to save a
    > whopping $0.63 in the process!!!
    >
    > WOO HOO!!! Life is good under George Bush's America!!! :)

    Just remember, you may have lost $0.63 in costs, but you gained $6.30
    in debts, which will be charged to your children's accounts. Life is
    good.

    Edward
    Edward Reid, Nov 3, 2004
  4. One-Shot Scot

    Tarkus Guest

    On 11/3/2004 2:09:49 PM, Edward Reid wrote:

    > On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 12:17:55 -0500, Reginald Dwight wrote
    >> This is great news! So now I can see all the movies that I don't really
    >> care for and not see ANY of the harder to find stuff and I get to save a
    >> whopping $0.63 in the process!!!
    >>
    >> WOO HOO!!! Life is good under George Bush's America!!! :)

    > Just remember, you may have lost $0.63 in costs, but you gained $6.30
    > in debts, which will be charged to your children's accounts. Life is
    > good.

    Ah, but don't you feel safer?
    --
    "Satan, your ass is gigantic and red. Who am I going to pretend you
    are, Liza Minelli?"
    Tarkus, Nov 4, 2004
  5. In article <9.com>,
    Tarkus <> wrote:

    > Ah, but don't you feel safer?

    Much safer know that I will never have to get on an airplane again to a
    foreign country knowing that I will forever be a target thanks to my
    man! :)
    Reginald Dwight, Nov 4, 2004
  6. One-Shot Scot

    luminos Guest

    "Reginald Dwight" <> wrote in message
    > In article <9.com>,
    > Tarkus <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ah, but don't you feel safer?

    > Much safer know that I will never have to get on an airplane again to a
    > foreign country knowing that I will forever be a target thanks to my
    > man! :)

    This snively illogic is tiresome (and I don't care for Bush either). We
    were targets during two democratic presidencies...they just didn't get it,
    and neither did Bush until 9/11.
    luminos, Nov 5, 2004
  7. One-Shot Scot

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    Reginald Dwight <> wrote:

    > This is great news! So now I can see all the movies that I don't really
    > care for and not see ANY of the harder to find stuff and I get to save a
    > whopping $0.63 in the process!!!
    >
    > WOO HOO!!! Life is good under George Bush's America!!! :)

    LOL!
    Black Locust, Nov 5, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    "luminos" <> wrote:

    > This snively illogic is tiresome (and I don't care for Bush either). We
    > were targets during two democratic presidencies...they just didn't get it,
    > and neither did Bush until 9/11.

    Uh huh. It's really all the same now as it was then. Snively illogic?
    Reginald Dwight, Nov 5, 2004
  9. One-Shot Scot

    Mark Guest

    Reginald Dwight <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote:
    >
    > > The company slashed the monthly subscription price of its DVD rental
    > > service plan for three movies out at a time from $18.76 to $17.36,
    > > undercutting recent price cuts by both Netflix and Blockbuster.

    > This is great news! So now I can see all the movies that I don't really
    > care for and not see ANY of the harder to find stuff and I get to save a
    > whopping $0.63 in the process!!!
    >
    > WOO HOO!!! Life is good under George Bush's America!!! :)

    There are over 100 million disenfranchised Americans who don't have
    access to DVD's under George Bush's America. If I were president, we
    would have a government program to redistribute the titles to all
    Americans. John Kerry
    Mark, Nov 6, 2004
  10. In article <>,
    (Mark) wrote:

    > There are over 100 million disenfranchised Americans who don't have
    > access to DVD's under George Bush's America. If I were president, we
    > would have a government program to redistribute the titles to all
    > Americans. John Kerry

    LOL!
    Reginald Dwight, Nov 6, 2004
  11. One-Shot Scot

    Tarkus Guest

    On 11/4/2004 10:29:53 PM, luminos wrote:

    > "Reginald Dwight" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <9.com>,
    >> Tarkus <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ah, but don't you feel safer?

    >> Much safer know that I will never have to get on an airplane again to
    >> a foreign country knowing that I will forever be a target thanks to
    >> my man! :)

    > This snively illogic is tiresome (and I don't care for Bush either).
    > We were targets during two democratic presidencies...they just didn't
    > get it, and neither did Bush until 9/11.

    I think the point was that we are now more hated than ever before. Even
    our allies don't really like us.
    --
    "Just remember what the MPAA says: Horrific, deplorable violence is
    okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words!"
    Tarkus, Nov 7, 2004
  12. One-Shot Scot

    John Eckart Guest

    "Tarkus" <> wrote in message news:1sm2k3f3bs26j$9.com...
    > On 11/4/2004 10:29:53 PM, luminos wrote:
    >
    >> "Reginald Dwight" <> wrote in message

    >>> Much safer know that I will never have to get on an airplane again to
    >>> a foreign country knowing that I will forever be a target thanks to
    >>> my man! :)

    >> This snively illogic is tiresome (and I don't care for Bush either).
    >> We were targets during two democratic presidencies...they just didn't
    >> get it, and neither did Bush until 9/11.

    > I think the point was that we are now more hated than ever before. Even
    > our allies don't really like us.

    Please, everyone has always hated Americans.

    Grow up.
    John Eckart, Nov 9, 2004
  13. In article <Jy%jd.39031$>,
    "John Eckart" <> wrote:

    > "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > > On 11/4/2004 10:29:53 PM, luminos wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Reginald Dwight" <> wrote in message

    > >> This snively illogic is tiresome (and I don't care for Bush either).
    > >> We were targets during two democratic presidencies...they just didn't
    > >> get it, and neither did Bush until 9/11.

    > > I think the point was that we are now more hated than ever before. Even
    > > our allies don't really like us.

    > Please, everyone has always hated Americans.
    >
    > Grow up.

    Grow up!? WTF did he say that warrants that comment?

    Here's a better idea... **** OFF, JOHN!
    Urra Dipschitt, Nov 9, 2004
  14. One-Shot Scot

    Tarkus Guest

    On 11/9/2004 12:51:53 AM, John Eckart wrote:

    > "Tarkus" <> wrote in message news:1sm2k3f3bs26j$9.com...
    >> On 11/4/2004 10:29:53 PM, luminos wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Reginald Dwight" <> wrote in message

    >>> This snively illogic is tiresome (and I don't care for Bush either).
    >>> We were targets during two democratic presidencies...they just
    >>> didn't get it, and neither did Bush until 9/11.

    >> I think the point was that we are now more hated than ever before.
    >> Even our allies don't really like us.

    > Please, everyone has always hated Americans.

    You're naive if you don't think it's worse today than in the past.
    --
    "The thing about a shark, it's got lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a
    doll's eyes. When it comes at you it doesn't seem to be livin'... until
    Tarkus, Nov 9, 2004
  15. One-Shot Scot

    John Eckart Guest

    "Tarkus" <> wrote in message news:24nx4sip8uqf$9.com...
    > On 11/9/2004 12:51:53 AM, John Eckart wrote:

    >>> I think the point was that we are now more hated than ever before.
    >>> Even our allies don't really like us.

    >> Please, everyone has always hated Americans.

    > You're naive if you don't think it's worse today than in the past.

    The media is simply concentrating on it more now.

    Try getting your information in places other than the channel 13 news.
    John Eckart, Nov 10, 2004