Wal-Mart Music Downloads and Mozilla

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by George, Jul 19, 2005.

  1. George

    George Guest

    Wal-Mart and Coca Cola are running a promo, offering 2 free music
    downloads with the purchase of certain Coke products. What they DON'T
    tell you in the promo or the fine print is that you must be using
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or better. Using Mozilla Firefox (or any
    other non-MS browser) won't work. (This is also true for anybody paying
    for music downloads.)

    I complained to Wal-Mart, and got what I expected: no response. So I
    filed a complaint with the Consumer Proection division of my state's
    Attorney General's office, saying "Promo offers 2 free music downloads @
    walmart.com/musicdownloads/coke. Printed material says "Requires Windows
    98SE or higher". However, AFTER promo code redeemed, website refuses any
    browser other than MS Internet Explorer. This is not a "software
    failure" as identified in Sec. 3 of the Terms and Conditions, but a
    refusal to complete the transaction."

    That got me a response from Wal-Mart. Since I had 6 music download promo
    codes, they offered me a custom CD at no expense. I took it, since it
    cost them money (the CD, shipping and handling, etc). They tried to tell
    me I needed to "upgrade" to MSIE. I told them they needed to acknowledge
    that there are other browsers out there, and failure to do so could
    result in a lot of pissed-off internetters. I hope that a lot of non-
    MSIE netters will let Wal-Mart know that they are not only out there, but
    that they are consumers too, and will not be discriminated against.

    Geo
    George, Jul 19, 2005

  2. George

    wc Guest

    George,

    Sorry and glad to hear of your difficulty with Wal-Mart. Did you
    honestly expect anything different?

    I am 75 years of age, and am proud to say I have *never* been inside
    a Wal-Mart, anywhere. Further, I will *never* enter one. The way
    they treat their employees is enough for me. To say nothing of the
    way they treat American Factories by filling their junk "stores" with
    goods made by near slave labor in China, India, and many other
    countries. Meanwhile, American factories shut down, after their long
    time employees lose their job.

    You can have Wal-Mart.

    Will
    wc, Jul 19, 2005