    on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.

    Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but actively evil.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, May 6, 2004

  2. Rich Clark

    Mark B. Guest

    "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad enough,
    > but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version
    > on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.
    >
    > Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but actively

    evil.

    > RichC

    Target did the same thing with Peter Pan. WS is full price at $20, P&S on
    sale for $18. I've never seen this before with any title. Maybe it's a
    marketing test?

    Mark

    Mark B., May 6, 2004

  3. Rich Clark

    Guest

    Rich Clark <> wrote:
    } Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad enough,
    } but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version
    } on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.
    }
    } Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but actively evil.

    Maybe the only way they can move the FS version is to discount it.
    The widescreen version must be selling at $20/each.

    --

    Frank Ball

    , May 6, 2004
  4. Rich Clark wrote:
    > Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad enough,
    > but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version
    > on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.
    >
    > Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but actively evil.
    >
    > RichC

    According to some research done by www.widescreen.org Wal-Marts differ
    from location to location on their WS policies. Generally speaking
    Wal-Mart is pro-P&S, but there are local managers who prefer to go the
    other way.

    --
    "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
    --Hilary Clinton

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, May 6, 2004
  5. Rich Clark

    Murder Guest

    wrote in news:jbimc.10017$:

    > Rich Clark <> wrote:
    > } Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad
    > enough, } but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last
    > Samurai" FS version } on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on
    > sale, costs $20. }
    > } Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but
    > actively evil.
    >
    > Maybe the only way they can move the FS version is to discount it.
    > The widescreen version must be selling at $20/each.

    And that might mean that people are catching on. Anyway, it's just Wal-
    Mart. They carry everything on earth, a person can't expect them to be
    experts on everything they carry. Best Buy gets on my nerves, sometimes,
    but they are getting better. Wal-Mart will move like a dinosaur on WS,
    just like everything else.

    Murder, May 6, 2004
  6. Rich Clark

    Jay G Guest

    Mark B. <> wrote:
    > "Rich Clark" <> wrote ...
    >> Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version on sale for $15.
    >> Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.

    > Target did the same thing with Peter Pan. WS is full price at $20,
    > P&S on sale for $18. I've never seen this before with any title.
    > Maybe it's a marketing test?

    Typically this is a mistake, one caused by having more than one
    version of a DVD. Whoever entered the sale information
    into the computer probably missed the 2nd version of the film.
    You could talk to an employee or manager, they'd probably
    give it to you for the reduced price.

    -Jay

    Jay G, May 6, 2004
  7. Rich Clark

    RnR Lesnar Guest

    At the wal mart here, they also remodeled everything and it's now even more
    impossible to find DVD's. They also stopped doing the first week sale on new
    releases unless you tell them Best Buy or other stores have it cheaper.
    Full-screen is dominating their selection unfortunately. I'll just continue
    to order dvd's over the internet.

    --
    RnR Lesnar
    It's True, It's True- Kurt Angle

    RnR Lesnar, May 6, 2004
  8. Rich Clark

    bruce Guest

    Well ....
    At least they ARE selling the WS now <grin>

    Bruce

    bruce, May 6, 2004
  9. Rich Clark

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Jay G <>
    wrote:

    > Mark B. <> wrote:
    > > "Rich Clark" <> wrote ...
    > >> Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version on sale for $15.
    > >> Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.

    > > Target did the same thing with Peter Pan. WS is full price at $20,
    > > P&S on sale for $18. I've never seen this before with any title.
    > > Maybe it's a marketing test?

    > Typically this is a mistake, one caused by having more than one
    > version of a DVD. Whoever entered the sale information
    > into the computer probably missed the 2nd version of the film.
    > You could talk to an employee or manager, they'd probably
    > give it to you for the reduced price.

    If there's a sign that says the sale price, the store got it
    pre-printed from HQ. Now, it could be they lost the widescreen sign...

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, May 6, 2004
  10. Rich Clark

    Prot Guest

    On Thu, 06 May 2004 03:23:26 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
    <> wrote:

    >Rich Clark wrote:
    >> Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad enough,
    >> but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version
    >> on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.
    >>
    >> Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but actively evil.
    >>
    >> RichC
    >>

    >According to some research done by www.widescreen.org Wal-Marts differ
    >from location to location on their WS policies. Generally speaking
    >Wal-Mart is pro-P&S, but there are local managers who prefer to go the
    >other way.

    Our local Walmart actually has a posting showing differences between
    P&S and WS, showing you just how much you are missing on P&S. Kudos
    to the manager who made this decision to inform the uninformed that
    just because the picture fills your entire screen, you are not getting
    the whole picture.

    Prot, May 6, 2004
  11. Rich Clark

    Goro Guest

    "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Their insistence on selling only fullscreen versions has been bad enough,
    > but I never saw this before. Local Wal-mart puts "Last Samurai" FS version
    > on sale for $15. Widescreen version is NOT on sale, costs $20.
    >
    > Further proof that they're not just ignorant and stupid, but actively evil.
    >
    > RichC

    one nice thing rgarding dvs and walmart.

    the La Scala version of GISELLE is op. Amazon sellers are selling it
    for $130+. Walmart.com has it new for less than msrp. yay.

    Goro, May 6, 2004
  12. Rich Clark

    Brian Guest

    and the way they lock them up..so sad.

    Brian, May 6, 2004
  13. Prot wrote:
    > Our local Walmart actually has a posting showing differences between
    > P&S and WS, showing you just how much you are missing on P&S. Kudos
    > to the manager who made this decision to inform the uninformed that
    > just because the picture fills your entire screen, you are not getting
    > the whole picture.

    I wonder if they were using the printout sheet that www.widescreen.org
    offers for store vendors to download.

    --
    "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
    --Hilary Clinton

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, May 6, 2004
  14. Rich Clark

    Mr. Mike Guest

    Recently I bought some DVD at Walmart, which cost $6.88. It didn't play, so I
    returned it. The clerk from the electronics department gave me a lot of mouth
    saying they didn't normally accept returns because of "copyright issues." I felt
    like saying ... "OK, this DVD costs $6.88 ... you sell blank DVDs for what ...
    $5.00? Does it make sense that I would waste an hour of my time to return this
    DVD to save $1.88?" (As it was, I was in the neighborhood anyway...)

    Mr. Mike, May 7, 2004
  15. Rich Clark

    Shinner Guest

    Mr. Mike <> wrote in

    > you sell blank DVDs for what ...
    > $5.00?

    who the hell pays $5 for a blank dvd? even name brands are down to $2 each
    and often a buck a piece on sale.

    did you ask for another copy of the same movie or a refund? if another
    copy, I don't see why they should give you a hassle. A refund, different
    story (and most stores have a no return policy on opened dvds)...if you
    claimed the dvd was defective, I'd have walked to the nearest player and
    verified your claim.

    Shinner, May 7, 2004
  16. Walmart is not doing this where I am. Both Last Samuri and Peter Pan had
    the same sale price (14.88) widescreen and fullscreen. But the Walmart I
    go to has a best buy, circuit city and media play nearby too.

    Mike

    Michael Rogers, May 7, 2004
  17. Rich Clark

    Biz Guest

    "Mr. Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Recently I bought some DVD at Walmart, which cost $6.88. It didn't play,

    so I
    > returned it. The clerk from the electronics department gave me a lot of

    mouth
    > saying they didn't normally accept returns because of "copyright issues."

    I felt
    > like saying ... "OK, this DVD costs $6.88 ... you sell blank DVDs for what

    > $5.00? Does it make sense that I would waste an hour of my time to return

    this
    > DVD to save $1.88?" (As it was, I was in the neighborhood anyway...)

    They should only be accepting returns for exchange of same title only. They
    should never accept returns on any opened software titles, just exchanges
    for defective copies.

    Biz, May 7, 2004
  18. Rich Clark

    RnR Lesnar Guest

    "Michael Rogers" <> wrote in message
    > Walmart is not doing this where I am. Both Last Samuri and Peter Pan had
    > the same sale price (14.88) widescreen and fullscreen. But the Walmart I
    > go to has a best buy, circuit city and media play nearby too.

    The Walmart here caused the On Cue to close down. Walmart had the best
    prices, but now theres no competition except a Blockbuster and they never
    put anything on sale below $19, even new releases.

    --
    RnR Lesnar
    It's True, It's True- Kurt Angle

    RnR Lesnar, May 7, 2004
  19. >and the way they lock them up..so sad.

    Not every Wal-Mart locks up DVDs; it's a decision made on a store-by-store
    basis, based on theft and shrinkage activity at the store or in the area.

    Robert Morgan, May 7, 2004
  20. >If there's a sign that says the sale price, the store got it
    >pre-printed from HQ. Now, it could be they lost the widescreen sign...

    Wal-Marts get almost no price-point signs pre-printed from "HQ." They're
    laser-printed on an as-needed basis by the department manager.

    As for Wal-Mart as a chain having a preference for P/S or WS, whether in
    stocking or in comping sales prices, it doesn't. Preference is store-by-store,
    based on local sales, manager competence, etc. Considering the numerous things
    a department manager has to do, (1) forgetting to flag a specific version of a
    movie or (2) forgetting to put a specific version of a movie on sale with its
    counterparts, indicates not an evil plan to piss off consumers nationwide, but
    a local and simple error by a single person.

    Why people extrapolate an experience at an individual store to mean
    something's a chain-wide-enforced policy is beyond me.

    Robert Morgan, May 7, 2004