Wal-Mart and my first defective DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Bob, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    After buying DVDs for three years, my luck finally ran
    out and I found myself with a defective DVD: the second
    disc in "The Matrix: Reloaded". The disc would not play
    at all on two players, and the center ring area had a
    weird look to it and some legible words that I can't
    remember now.

    I don't usually buy DVDs at Wal-Mart, but I was there,
    and the sale price was good, so I picked it up. What I
    didn't notice was that Wal-Mart for some reason stuck
    their own UPC symbol on the shrink wrap over the real
    UPC symbol.

    Unforunatley, Wal-Mart employees don't know about it,
    either. So there I am at the customer service desk with
    a receipt that doesn't match the DVD I'm exchanging.

    I realized what happened pretty quick, but I had to
    explain it to three different employees and finally some
    kind of manager to convince them that I am in fact
    exchanging for the same item -- 'cos the fact that the
    two copies look exactly the same isn't enough. It took my
    twenty minutes to make the exchange.

    Nothing against Wal-Mart in general, but when it comes
    to DVDs specifically, I'm unlikely to shop there again
    when there are better suited stores in the area. I'm venting,
    of course, but it's also kind of a "watch out!" in case
    you ever have to exchange something at Wal-Mart.

    Bob, Oct 20, 2003

  2. Bob

    CAndersen Guest

    (Bob) wrote:

    >It took my
    >twenty minutes to make the exchange.

    Only 20 minutes at the "customer service" desk at Wal-Mart?
    You were very lucky!

    --
    Reply address munged. You can figure it out.

    CAndersen, Oct 20, 2003

  3. Bob

    Wade365 Guest

    << Wal-Mart for some reason stuck
    their own UPC symbol on the shrink wrap over the real
    UPC symbol. >>

    This is rather common practice I believe, and nothing deceptive about it...
    many stores replace the UPC codes to match their own computer record scheme.
    UPCs are just bar codes registered to companies - you could register a UPC with
    your name on it and get a tattoo on your body of it if you wanted to.

    Wade365, Oct 20, 2003
  4. In article <>,
    KimbaWLion_aol.com@127.0.0.1 says:

    >Only 20 minutes at the "customer service" desk at Wal-Mart?
    >You were very lucky!

    Hell yeah, he was lucky!

    Wal-Mart is where the people too stupid for fast-food jobs end up working.

    -Kenny

    --
    Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles
    H: 3801 E. Pacific Coast Hw #9, Long Beach, CA 90804-2014 (888) 454-8181

    Kenneth Crudup, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Bob

    Jeeters Guest

    "Kenneth Crudup" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > KimbaWLion_aol.com@127.0.0.1 says:
    >
    > >Only 20 minutes at the "customer service" desk at Wal-Mart?
    > >You were very lucky!

    > Hell yeah, he was lucky!
    >
    > Wal-Mart is where the people too stupid for fast-food jobs end up working.

    I thought it was for people that have been layed off from "real" jobs?

    Jeeters, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Bob

    revoltnow Guest

    (Bob) wrote in message news:<>...
    > After buying DVDs for three years, my luck finally ran
    > out and I found myself with a defective DVD: the second
    > disc in "The Matrix: Reloaded". The disc would not play
    > at all on two players, and the center ring area had a
    > weird look to it and some legible words that I can't
    > remember now.
    >
    > I don't usually buy DVDs at Wal-Mart, but I was there,
    > and the sale price was good, so I picked it up. What I
    > didn't notice was that Wal-Mart for some reason stuck
    > their own UPC symbol on the shrink wrap over the real
    > UPC symbol.
    >
    > Unforunatley, Wal-Mart employees don't know about it,
    > either. So there I am at the customer service desk with
    > a receipt that doesn't match the DVD I'm exchanging.
    >
    > I realized what happened pretty quick, but I had to
    > explain it to three different employees and finally some
    > kind of manager to convince them that I am in fact
    > exchanging for the same item -- 'cos the fact that the
    > two copies look exactly the same isn't enough. It took my
    > twenty minutes to make the exchange.
    >
    > Nothing against Wal-Mart in general, but when it comes
    > to DVDs specifically, I'm unlikely to shop there again
    > when there are better suited stores in the area. I'm venting,
    > of course, but it's also kind of a "watch out!" in case
    > you ever have to exchange something at Wal-Mart.

    WalFart is bad news all around. Not only is their service non-existent
    but they are the primary destroyers of Mom and Pop stores in this
    country. By their own assertion, they will undercut prices until the
    locals are driven out business and then jack up the prices! They've
    done this time and time again.

    Check out the article at
    http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2003/10/ma_276_01.html and
    http://www.motherjones.com/sideshow/walmart.html and you'll never set
    foot in their dungeons again.

    revoltnow, Oct 22, 2003
  7. The only way to shop at Wal-Mart is to get there when they first open so
    you'll only have to be there 5 - 10 minutes. Get your shit fast then go
    quickly to the checkout. But sometimes the cashiers are still in back
    picking their noses and haven't opened any registers yet. Then you must yell
    loudly "WE NEED A CASHIER OVER HERE!!" Then one will pop out of nowhere in
    seconds and then you can the **** outta there. I will not go near a Wal-Mart
    at any other times. They still have the lowest prices and they still rule.

    SanDiegoFunkDaddy, Oct 23, 2003
  8. Bob

    revoltnow Guest

    They may have low prices on SOME items now but they only rule if
    consumers keep filling their coffers. Do you believe they'll continue
    to have the low price teaser items when they become the only player in
    town?

    revoltnow, Oct 23, 2003
  9. Bob

    Eric R. Guest

    (revoltnow) wrote in message

    > Do you believe they'll continue
    > to have the low price teaser items when they become the only player in
    > town?

    They'll never be the only game in town because their selection is so
    limited, especially when compared to specialty stores. Where would you
    rather shop for electronics, Walmart's tiny electronics section or
    Best Buy? Where are you going to buy books, Walmart's one row of
    bestsellers or Barnes and Noble?

    As for those Mom & Pop stores, screw them. The reason most "Mom & Pop"
    stores go out of business is because they suck ass. If we had never
    encouraged the innovators and just stuck with the old Mom & Pops, we
    wouldn't have half the services and conveniences that we do now. You
    think we would have credit/debit cards, online ordering and shopping,
    superstore selection, etc. if we were still all shopping at Joe
    Dipshit's local yokel store down on the corner?

    Hey, I remember when the first fast food franchise came to my little
    hometown. Everyone was playing all that "Gonna run the local
    restaraunts out of business" routine. And a lot of them did go out of
    business. They went out of business because they sucked. The franchise
    place offered stuff the yokel Mom & Pops didn't--like drive-thru
    service and a much wider menu selection. The yokels could have offered
    this too. But instead they sat on their asses for years and refuse to
    change or innovate. And guess what happened?

    -Eric

    Eric R., Oct 23, 2003
  10. Bob

    Bobcancel Guest

    wrote:

    "Hell yeah, he was lucky!
    Wal-Mart is where the people too stupid for fast-food jobs end up working. >>

    Kenny
    You are living proof that rich people can be just as ignorant and stupid as
    poor people. In case you haven't noticed, Mr. DVD Money-bags, the economy
    sucks right now -- especially for older Americans and young teenagers. Walmart
    is the only place where some of these people can find work and believe me, Mr.
    Sensitive, they ain't gettin' by. They're paid a slave wage ($ 7.00 an hour)
    so people like you and I can buy things cheap. If their customer service is
    less than cheery, Rich man, it's because most of them are miserable and
    pressured and struggling. Try to keep that in mind the next time you decide to
    release your contempt to the general public.
    I'm also named Kenny.

    Bobcancel, Oct 24, 2003
  11. Bob

    Wade365 Guest

    << it's because most of them are miserable and
    pressured and struggling. Try to keep that in mind the next time you decide to
    release your contempt to the general public.
    I'm also named Kenny.

    Wally-World isn't a bad place... thank Jah I have a different job, but you
    can't fault the folks who work there, it's the lot they drew at this stage of
    life.

    Wade365, Oct 24, 2003
  12. In article <>,
    (Bobcancel) says:

    >You are living proof that rich people

    <snort>

    Anyone who can't tell 99% of the people who work in Wal-Mart have an
    elevator that just doesn't go all the way to the top is just as dumb
    as they are.

    -Kenny

    Kenneth Crudup, Oct 25, 2003
  13. Bob

    Bobcancel Guest

    << In article <>,
    (Bobcancel) says:

    >You are living proof that rich people

    <snort>

    Anyone who can't tell 99% of the people who work in Wal-Mart have an
    elevator that just doesn't go all the way to the top is just as dumb
    as they are.

    -Kenny >>

    I hear ya, Kenny. You have my sympathies. Good luck.
    Kenny

    Bobcancel, Oct 25, 2003