    not heard many good reports about Vista so will give it a miss, so should I
    wait for Windows 7 - or jump ship to Mac. Never had anything to do with
    Apple - and no real urgency. Any suggestions?
    Fred, Apr 25, 2009

  2. wisdomkiller & pain wrote:

    > Fred wrote:
    >> A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop.
    >> I Have not heard many good reports about Vista so will give it a
    >> miss, so should I wait for Windows 7 - or jump ship to Mac. Never
    >> had anything to do with Apple - and no real urgency. Any
    >> suggestions?
    >>

    > Wait for windows7 but don't expect wonders. In the meantime, try out
    > (and maybe get used to) linux. You can try out a live-cd or -dvd (but
    > you have to expect slow booting) or try out to install linux on a
    > flashdrive - it is portable like a livecd but will start faster. With
    > a overlay filesystem on a 2nd partition, you can even keep updates
    > and save your data.

    Further to that, Fred, try the Ubuntu distribution of Linux. If you want
    the Long Term Support version, get 8.04; if you want bleeding edge, 9.04
    (shorter support term) was just introduced. The price, by the way, is a
    whopping $0.00, and so is all the software nearly all normal individuals
    would need.

    http://ubuntu.com/

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 25, 2009

  3. Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:

    > Further to that, Fred, try the Ubuntu distribution of Linux. If you
    > want the Long Term Support version, get 8.04; if you want bleeding
    > edge, 9.04 (shorter support term) was just introduced. The price, by
    > the way, is a whopping $0.00, and so is all the software nearly all
    > normal individuals would need.
    >
    > http://ubuntu.com/

    ...and to lend some substance, I just found this article about 9.04:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10226746-92.html

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 25, 2009
  4. Fred

    philo Guest

    wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
    > Fred wrote:
    >
    >> A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop. I
    >> Have not heard many good reports about Vista so will give it a miss, so
    >> should I wait for Windows 7 - or jump ship to Mac. Never had anything to
    >> do with Apple - and no real urgency. Any suggestions?
    >>

    > Wait for windows7 but don't expect wonders.
    > In the meantime, try out (and maybe get used to) linux. You can try out a
    > live-cd or -dvd (but you have to expect slow booting) or try out to install
    > linux on a flashdrive - it is portable like a livecd but will start faster.
    > With a overlay filesystem on a 2nd partition, you can even keep updates and
    > save your data.

    I agree...either use Linux or go with a MAC

    Vista is really not the way to go...and I doubt it Windows 7 is going to
    be any better.

    Though I've been using Linux at least part time for many years...
    I have been running Linux as my main OS this year and the newest version
    of Windows I'll ever use will be XP
    philo, Apr 25, 2009
  5. Fred

    Tony Guest

    I myself would try one of those lite versions or improved versions of vista. You
    know it's amazing what some people offer on those warez groups. I've tried the
    lite version of vista ultimate and it's about 6,733 times better than Vista SP1
    64 bit. I wouldn't buy a mac because apple will probably go bankrupt in a couple
    of years' time. I just got short the stock on Friday and soon i'll be wealthier.
    The ipod will go the way of the do-do bird the mac will only be remembered as a
    hamburger at McDonalds and the iphone will be remembered as eyephony. The whole
    company is as phony as a counterfeit two dollar bill.

    Fred wrote:

    > A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop. I Have
    > not heard many good reports about Vista so will give it a miss, so should I
    > wait for Windows 7 - or jump ship to Mac. Never had anything to do with
    > Apple - and no real urgency. Any suggestions?

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    realm of understandability

    Tony, Apr 25, 2009
  6. Fred

    catchme Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop. I Have
    > not heard many good reports about Vista so will give it a miss, so should I
    > wait for Windows 7 - or jump ship to Mac. Never had anything to do with
    > Apple - and no real urgency. Any suggestions?

    i hear that windows 7 is just a bug- fix version of vista, having the
    same anti- privacy features and appearing cosmetically similar.
    catchme, Apr 25, 2009
  7. Fred

    catchme Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > I myself would try one of those lite versions or improved versions of vista. You
    > know it's amazing what some people offer on those warez groups. I've tried the
    > lite version of vista ultimate and it's about 6,733 times better than Vista SP1
    > 64 bit. I wouldn't buy a mac because apple will probably go bankrupt in a couple
    > of years' time. I just got short the stock on Friday and soon i'll be wealthier.
    > The ipod will go the way of the do-do bird the mac will only be remembered as a
    > hamburger at McDonalds and the iphone will be remembered as eyephony. The whole
    > company is as phony as a counterfeit two dollar bill.

    people have been saying apple will go bankrupt since '96....
    and Gil Amelio almost made certain that would happen.
    Enter Steve Jobs 2.0 and he saved his old company, and *nearly* silenced
    his critics.
    Now that he has cancer.....?
    catchme, Apr 25, 2009
  8. Fred

    Mike Easter Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop.

    What do you mean, exactly? What hardware is the old LT and why -
    specifically - does it need to be upgraded?

    That is, why exactly do you need hardware upgrading?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 25, 2009
  9. Fred

    Leythos Guest

    In article <m2EIl.84720$>,
    says...

    > Fred wrote:
    > > A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop. I Have
    > > not heard many good reports about Vista so will give it a miss, so should I
    > > wait for Windows 7 - or jump ship to Mac. Never had anything to do with
    > > Apple - and no real urgency. Any suggestions?
    > >

    > i hear that windows 7 is just a bug- fix version of vista, having the
    > same anti- privacy features and appearing cosmetically similar.

    If you have to ask, then go MAC.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
    (remove 999 for proper email address)
    Leythos, Apr 25, 2009
  10. Fox in the COLA Hen House wrote:

    > Fred wrote:
    >> A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop.
    >> I Have not heard many good reports about Vista so will give it a
    >> miss, so should I wait for Windows 7 - or jump ship to Mac. Never
    >> had anything to do with Apple - and no real urgency. Any
    >> suggestions?

    > If Vista is good enough for the USAF, then it's good enough for me. I
    > have had no problems none in using Vista. And I'll have no problems
    > when I get to Windows 7 either.
    >
    > http://www.robins.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123133349

    "The need to migrate to Vista is driven by the need to ensure we have a
    secure processing environment," said Tena Dominy, 78th Communications
    Group deputy director [because] "Microsoft has said it will stop
    supporting XP by the end of this year."

    Yes, get to be a botnet participant in 20 minutes instead of just 12.
    <lol> Perhaps the USAF will join the French Naval Air Force...

    <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/4547649/French-fighter-planes-grounded-by-computer-virus.html>

    --
    -bts
    -Putting anti-virus software on an MS Windows computer is like
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 25, 2009
  11. Fred

    Fred Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Fred wrote:
    >> A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop.

    > What do you mean, exactly? What hardware is the old LT and why -
    > specifically - does it need to be upgraded?
    >
    > That is, why exactly do you need hardware upgrading?

    Sorry for confusion - I need to replace my old laptop. Not interested in
    Linux so it's between Mac or Windows 7, and I can see advantages in staying
    with the mainstream - Microsoft.
    Fred, Apr 25, 2009
  12. Fred

    Fred Guest

    "Art" <> wrote in message
    > Fred wrote:
    >> A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop. I
    >> Have not heard many good reports about Vista so will give it a miss, so
    >> should I wait for Windows 7 - or jump ship to Mac. Never had anything to
    >> do with Apple - and no real urgency. Any suggestions?

    > Why not get a new one with XP on it? Dell still offers such. The plus is
    > that it will have enough hardware to run Vista but won't have to. So it'll
    > be a screamer with XP.

    Thought of that and like Dell stuff. But XP support will die long before
    windows 7.
    Fred, Apr 25, 2009
  13. Fred

    thanatoid Guest

    Lookout <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 07:40:44 -0400, "Beauregard T.
    > Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >
    >>wisdomkiller & pain wrote:

    WHAT in the world would make you think that Win 7 will be any
    better than XP or Vista? Since 98SE, each new OS release (with
    the possible execution of 2000 which I am NF with) has been more
    bloated with useless crap, eye candy, and spyware. In fact, I
    call Vista "BOB II". Yes, THAT'S what I use my computer for, to
    watch transparent windows. Ridiculous.

    Take a good look at yourself and stop being another victim of
    "latest and greatest" brainwashing.

    --
    (Originally Posted by Ketxxx on forums.techpowerup.com)
    I think you got it a bit backwards, spyware comes free with
    thanatoid, Apr 25, 2009
  14. Lookout wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 07:40:44 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:

    >>Further to that, Fred, try the Ubuntu distribution of Linux. If you want
    >>the Long Term Support version, get 8.04; if you want bleeding edge, 9.04
    >>(shorter support term) was just introduced. The price, by the way, is a
    >>whopping $0.00, and so is all the software nearly all normal individuals
    >>would need.
    >>
    >>http://ubuntu.com/

    > http://tech.yahoo.com/news/zd/20090420/tc_zd/239406

    > And spend all your time looking for programs to replace what you used
    > with Windows. Good idea.

    Depends. Not too much different to changing to a Mac.
    For the unavoidable legacy windows program, there are things like
    wine/crossover, or virtualbox which gives a standard xp-compatible virtual
    hardware setup.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Apr 25, 2009
  15. Fred wrote:

    > Sorry for confusion - I need to replace my old laptop. Not interested in
    > Linux so it's between Mac or Windows 7, and I can see advantages in
    > staying with the mainstream - Microsoft.

    Well, Windows7 - at least the "better" versions - will have a compatibility
    mode (integrated virtualpc mode) that allows to run most XP programs.
    However ... if you wait for windows7, you'll have to live with some child
    diseases and wait for availability of really compatible security tools
    (virus/malware protection tools). Get a business type laptop for which XP
    drivers are still available, and continue to use XP until windows7 has
    matured a bit or SP1 is out :)
    wisdomkiller & pain, Apr 25, 2009
  16. Fred wrote:

    > "Art" <> wrote in message

    >> Why not get a new one with XP on it? Dell still offers such. The plus is
    >> that it will have enough hardware to run Vista but won't have to. So
    >> it'll be a screamer with XP.
    >>

    > Thought of that and like Dell stuff. But XP support will die long before
    > windows 7.

    Just wrote a similar note. Except ... XP security fixes will be available
    for quite a long time still, no need to hurry.
    Just like with Vista, it will take some time till vendors of
    antivirus/malware protection tools have fully windows7-compliant versions.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Apr 25, 2009
  17. Fred

    Mike Easter Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > "Art"

    >> Why not get a new one with XP on it? Dell still offers such.

    > Thought of that and like Dell stuff. But XP support will die long before
    > windows 7.

    Dell does it a lot of different ways. You can buy a Dell LT with Vista
    re-gradable to XP and also upgradable to Win7.

    You never did answer the specific question in a specific way.

    Fred wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Fred wrote:
    >>> A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop.

    >> What do you mean, exactly? What hardware is the old LT and why -
    >> specifically - does it need to be upgraded?
    >>
    >> That is, why exactly do you need hardware upgrading?
    >>

    > Sorry for confusion - I need to replace my old laptop.

    Doh!

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 25, 2009
  18. Fred

    Mike Easter Guest

    Lookout wrote:

    > Why do you think Mac stays at 5%?

    I think that it is mostly because in most resource for resource dollar
    comparisons, Mac stuff is significantly more expensive.

    When you compare what you can buy for what price when there is a good sale
    going, nonmac generic stuff is a lot, a really lot, cheaper than macstuff.
    And then, there's the 'move up' in class that occurs -- once you buy mac
    hardware for a lot more money, you are expected to buy mac software for a
    lot of money (obviously price is no object if you are mac) so the whole
    'picture' of cheap hardware + freeware + shareware + payware on sale
    doesn't really exist in the macworld.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 26, 2009
  19. Fred

    Guest

    On Apr 26, 9:41 am, Lookout <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:54:59 -0400, POGO PUNY  <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > Fox in the COLA Hen House <> wrote:

    > >> You can bitch, whine and moan all you want. It's taken a little time
    > >> because of dooms-day-sayers like you and others. But Vista is on the
    > >> move, followed by Windows 7, and it's back-to-back.

    > >yea....back 2 back SHIT

    > Some people are just to stupid to use Windows.

    And some people are just too stupid to know how to spell "too".
    , Apr 26, 2009
  20. Fox in the COLA Hen House wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Fox in the COLA Hen House wrote:
    >>> If Vista is good enough for the USAF, then it's good enough for me.
    >>> I have had no problems none in using Vista. And I'll have no
    >>> problems when I get to Windows 7 either.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.robins.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123133349

    >> "The need to migrate to Vista is driven by the need to ensure we
    >> have a secure processing environment," said Tena Dominy, 78th
    >> Communications Group deputy director [because] "Microsoft has said
    >> it will stop supporting XP by the end of this year."
    >>
    >> Yes, get to be a botnet participant in 20 minutes instead of just
    >> 12. <lol> Perhaps the USAF will join the French Naval Air Force...
    >>
    >> <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/4547649/French-fighter-planes-grounded-by-computer-virus.html>

    > Where does it say anything about Vista?

    It didn't have to... the French are using Windows, same as USAF (that
    was plain enough in the article). The USAF is apparently about as
    vulnerable as the French. That's the point I was making.

    > Linux is going to remain where it's at, which is at the bottom of
    > world wide usage. Nobody is coming after Linux, because no one is
    > using it.

    And that is good for us. I'm certainly happy with that.

    > And if you think Linux is bullet-proof, that's a joke too, as long as
    > human beings are involved, there is nothing bullet-proof.

    Of course not.
    Linux viruses: a few dozen, all only in the lab because the hackers
    can't figure out how to make them propagate
    Mac viruses: several dozens more, but generally same problem
    Windows viruses: up to what, now? 150,000, and counting dozens or
    hundreds more every day.

    > Superman didn't create Linux. :p

    Wasn't it Captain Marvel?

    > In the meantime, Vista is on the rise and Win 7 is coming. And both
    > O/S(s) will be used, out pacing Linux is the bottom line.

    I'm happy with that. Very happy. It means nobody will bother to try and
    attack my operating system. Please, go right ahead and out-pace!

    From your other post:
    > You can bitch, whine and moan all you want. It's taken a little time
    > because of dooms-day-sayers like you and others.

    Hey, I was not bitching, whining or moaning one little bit. If you and
    Fred wish to continue using Windows, you go right ahead. No skin off my
    nose at all. I don't care if Vista or Windows-7 (Vista SP3) is on 98% of
    PCs. Popularity and/or usage numbers do not prove which one is actually
    the best. Really, all it proves is there are a lot of sheep.

    Now go update your viruses or sumpin! <lol>

    (Though I would like you to come back with a *practical* discussion as
    to why you think Windows is so much better than other OSes.)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 26, 2009