    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Steve

    scs, Aug 30, 2006

  2. scs

    JohnO Guest

    scs wrote:
    > I'm trying to get a couple of microsoft certs and have come to the
    > conclusion that I really don't know the basics as well as I thought. I
    > need to have the knowledge tested in A+ and Network+ to even really
    > start studying for the Microsoft exams. If I study for those tests I
    > might as well take them.
    >
    > My question is: I have a pretty good background in compters. I don't
    > anticipate having to spend months studying for the A+. Should I take
    > the current test or wait for the 2006 materials to be available in Oct.
    > What do you all think about the idea of taking the Network+ first?
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Employers with a clue could possibly be more impressed with the new
    exam...assuming you choose the most relevant elective. Most won't know
    there's a now/old exam.

    Makes no diff which you take first, given your situation.

    -John O

    JohnO, Aug 30, 2006

  3. scs wrote:
    > I'm trying to get a couple of microsoft certs and have come to the
    > conclusion that I really don't know the basics as well as I thought. I
    > need to have the knowledge tested in A+ and Network+ to even really
    > start studying for the Microsoft exams. If I study for those tests I
    > might as well take them.
    >
    > My question is: I have a pretty good background in compters. I don't
    > anticipate having to spend months studying for the A+. Should I take
    > the current test or wait for the 2006 materials to be available in Oct.
    > What do you all think about the idea of taking the Network+ first?

    Given your background, you could probably take the Net+ first if you
    wanted to. Network+ was last updated in 2005 and isn't scheduled for
    another update for a couple of years.

    For most folks, the usual path is to take A+ Core Hardware first, then
    The O/S exam. I tell my students to take whichever exam they feel the
    best about first.

    There is plenty of time for you to complete the existing A+ exams before
    they run out. The advantage of doing it now is that there are plenty of
    books/study guides available for the current objectives. The current
    objectives are a known quantity and the existing training information is
    well aligned to those objectives.

    The new objectives are somewhat of an unknown at this point, especially
    the "Customer Service" parts. It's gonna take some time for that portion
    of the exam to come into focus.

    As I see it, there is no good reason to wait for the new exams if you're
    ready (or almost ready) for the existing exams.

    John
    --
    John Dearing
    A+, Network+, Server+

    John P. Dearing, Aug 31, 2006
  4. scs

    Scotech Guest

    scs wrote:
    > I'm trying to get a couple of microsoft certs and have come to the
    > conclusion that I really don't know the basics as well as I thought. I
    > need to have the knowledge tested in A+ and Network+ to even really
    > start studying for the Microsoft exams. If I study for those tests I
    > might as well take them.
    >
    > My question is: I have a pretty good background in compters. I don't
    > anticipate having to spend months studying for the A+. Should I take
    > the current test or wait for the 2006 materials to be available in Oct.
    > What do you all think about the idea of taking the Network+ first?
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Steve

    I have been into computers for years but had not done any certs although
    I had done few night school / college courses and like you came to the
    conclusion that I didn't really know certain things as well as I had
    thought.When I got into pcs comptia A plus was not around and a lot of
    courses were out of date, win95 was not even here lol.

    With a lot of uncertainty in my current industry I decided to get my
    butt in gear and use my computing hobby to make a living .I started
    studying for the A plus hardware exam I passed this in April although I
    never done as well as I expected , even though I was hitting 90ish in
    the practice tests.

    I had ordered Mike Myers's books all in one for A & N plus , but a delay
    due to the fact the N plus book was out of stock meant that my a plus
    test came before the book .

    The Day I got home from the test center my A plus book arrived and the
    first few chapters covered some stuff I did'nt know ,(just my luck)

    anyway it came in handy for the Os Part which I passed in May .I done
    better on the Os part.

    I'm now studying for the net plus exam and I'm almost ready to sit the
    exam. I feel that you would be better to sit the A plus exams first .

    I feel sitting the hardware part first then the os then the net plus is
    the way to go . I found I was a bit nervous first exam not to bad second
    time and hopefully even better on the tougher Net plus exam.

    I'm relatively new to networking , so I this way was a bit better for me
    as I have built it up from the basics.

    As for the new material I'm not sure when I heard it was changing I up
    my studies and got the A plus out of the way.Hopefully if I get the net
    plus
    I can use the A,N plus as art of the MCSA.

    Good luck in what ever you decide

    Scotech

    Scotech, Aug 31, 2006
  5. scs

    scs Guest

    Are you suggesting taking a Microsoft MCP exam instead of A+ or
    Network+. If so which ones?

    Thanks

    scs, Sep 6, 2006