    BB
    NZ

    --

    BB, Nov 19, 2004

  2. BB wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've had enough of the issues with the Linksys WAG54G....numerous firmware
    > upgrades fail to fix the issues it has, even with the simplest functions.
    >
    > So, what do I replace it with? Who has a wireless modem/router that is able
    > to be both secure and reliable? What do *you* recommend?

    It seems the Linksys WAG54G is indeed a dog, I had a few workmates and
    friends that had the WAG54G, and most reported that they had problems
    with constantly needing to reboot it to get the wireless back up. IMHO
    Seems Linksys really dropped the ball here.

    Apparently the US Robotics Router 9106 hearing from those that changed
    to it from the WAG54G, is reasonably good.
    www.dse.co.nz and put XH8198 in the search (sorry that there is no
    direct link, never seems to come out when a direct URL is given)
    Another option is the 3COM Office connect 3CRWE254G72

    Alpine Dragon, Nov 20, 2004

  3. BB wrote:
    > So, what do I replace it with? Who has a wireless modem/router that is able
    > to be both secure and reliable? What do *you* recommend?

    linksys wrt54g
    runs linux of some sort, and there are a few hacked firmwares available
    to up it to 250mW from(IIRC) 27mW default.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 20, 2004
  4. BB

    EMB Guest

    Alpine Dragon wrote:

    > Another option is the 3COM Office connect 3CRWE254G72
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=334483

    IME these are reliable - I put one in for a computer-illiterate relative
    and haven't had a single support call caused by it.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 21, 2004
  5. BB

    -=rjh=- Guest

    BB wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've had enough of the issues with the Linksys WAG54G....numerous firmware
    > upgrades fail to fix the issues it has, even with the simplest functions.
    >
    > So, what do I replace it with? Who has a wireless modem/router that is able
    > to be both secure and reliable? What do *you* recommend?
    >
    > BB
    > NZ

    Dunno how secure it is, but I'm quite pleased with my D-Link
    DWL-2000AP+, but this doesn't do ADSL.

    I suppose it will curl up and die after I write this, but it has been
    running here 24/7 for months now without any problems whatsoever.

    My matching DWL-G650+ PCCard sometimes (maybe once every few weeks)
    requires a prod to get going again, (I just run the D-Link utility and
    rescan for APs) but that has been pretty good, too, running 24/7 on a
    laptop.

    Considering the pair cost me just over $200.00 or so, I think they are a
    good deal, and I'd consider the ADSL version if the need ever arose for
    an all in one solution - but I prefer to keep functions separate.

    -=rjh=-, Nov 23, 2004
  6. BB

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <41a2e92e$1_3@127.0.0.1>, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    > BB wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I've had enough of the issues with the Linksys WAG54G....numerous firmware
    > > upgrades fail to fix the issues it has, even with the simplest functions.
    > >
    > > So, what do I replace it with? Who has a wireless modem/router that is able
    > > to be both secure and reliable? What do *you* recommend?
    > >
    > > BB
    > > NZ
    > >

    > Dunno how secure it is, but I'm quite pleased with my D-Link
    > DWL-2000AP+, but this doesn't do ADSL.
    >
    > I suppose it will curl up and die after I write this, but it has been
    > running here 24/7 for months now without any problems whatsoever.
    >
    > My matching DWL-G650+ PCCard sometimes (maybe once every few weeks)
    > requires a prod to get going again, (I just run the D-Link utility and
    > rescan for APs) but that has been pretty good, too, running 24/7 on a
    > laptop.
    >
    > Considering the pair cost me just over $200.00 or so, I think they are a
    > good deal, and I'd consider the ADSL version if the need ever arose for
    > an all in one solution - but I prefer to keep functions separate.

    Well my WAG54G got replaced and it is now working well. I could not get
    it stable unsing 802.11g but that is all well and good now. Even the
    DDNS is working properly. So I am back to being happy with the
    linksys...who coincidentally are a division of cisco so one would have
    expected better quality than has been delivered!

    whoisthis, Nov 23, 2004
  7. BB

    HillBilly Guest

    > Well my WAG54G got replaced and it is now working well. I could not get
    > it stable unsing 802.11g but that is all well and good now. Even the
    > DDNS is working properly. So I am back to being happy with the
    > linksys...who coincidentally are a division of cisco so one would have
    > expected better quality than has been delivered!

    what firmware version does it have now ?

    I've just found a newer firmware (1.02.7 !) than was shipped with
    the unit...and so far no problems.. but its still early to
    say for sure.. I'd really be interested in knowing your version.
    Thanks.

    HillBilly, Nov 24, 2004
  8. BB

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <xYWod.11040$>,
    "HillBilly" <> wrote:

    > > Well my WAG54G got replaced and it is now working well. I could not get
    > > it stable unsing 802.11g but that is all well and good now. Even the
    > > DDNS is working properly. So I am back to being happy with the
    > > linksys...who coincidentally are a division of cisco so one would have
    > > expected better quality than has been delivered!

    > what firmware version does it have now ?
    >
    > I've just found a newer firmware (1.02.7 !) than was shipped with
    > the unit...and so far no problems.. but its still early to
    > say for sure.. I'd really be interested in knowing your version.
    > Thanks.

    Hell I went through 4 different versions, the last one was 1.02.5 which
    is also what I am currently running with good results. My problems was
    the adsl modem would lock up the wireless if 802.11g (or mixed) was
    used, if it was on 802.11b it all worked well.

    whoisthis, Nov 25, 2004