    this?
    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, May 15, 2004

  2. > However, MUST I use the Wacom mouse for my mouse? I use a trackball, and
    > would prefer to use that when I am not using pen and tablet. Can I do
    > this?

    You can connect whatever mouse you usually use in whatever manner you
    usually connect it, in addition to the Wacom tablet. Movement of either
    mouse will affect your cursor, so you will want to be sure you don't bump
    into your other mouse while you are using the Wacom one.
    Andrew Koenig, May 15, 2004

  3. Don Stauffer

    O.D. Guest

    No, you don't have to use the Wacom mouse.

    O.D., May 15, 2004
  4. Don Stauffer

    Tom Nelson Guest

    You can use both the tablet and your trackball at the same time. When
    the Wacom pen or cordless mouse are near the tablet, they affect the
    cursor. Take them away and your other pointing device prevails. The
    Wacom devices must be within about an inch of the "live" area of the
    pad in order to affect the cursor.

    I use both an Intuos and a trackball, and I find they're a ideal
    combination for Photoshop.

    Tom Nelson
    Tom Nelson Photography
    My ISP does not have an "x" in its name

    Tom Nelson, May 15, 2004
  5. Don Stauffer

    B. Peg Guest

    Fwiw, I'd get the next size up from the smallish 4x6 inch one. I find the
    small area a bit too much of a hindrance to draw with any type of quality.
    Sort of like drawing on a pinhead if you get my drift.
    B~
    B. Peg, May 15, 2004
  6. Don Stauffer

    Andrew Guest

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 09:33:47 -0500, Don Stauffer
    <> wrote:

    >I am contemplating buying a Graphire or Intous tablet. I know they come
    >with a wireless mouse, and allow simultaneous use of mouse or tablet.

    The mouse is a bit of a pain IMO as it uses absolutecoordinates rather
    than relative movements like normal mice/trackballs.

    >However, MUST I use the Wacom mouse for my mouse? I use a trackball, and
    >would prefer to use that when I am not using pen and tablet. Can I do
    >this?

    You can have several mice/trackballs, the Wacom is just another input
    device on your system.
    Andrew, May 15, 2004
  7. Don Stauffer

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I use a non-Wacom mouse and my Intous tablet, however, I have a serial
    tablet and a mouse port mouse so check that you will actually have all the
    connections you need before you do it.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, May 15, 2004
  8. Don Stauffer

    Andrew Guest

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 17:09:12 GMT, "Tony Spadaro"
    <> wrote:

    >I use a non-Wacom mouse and my Intous tablet, however, I have a serial
    >tablet and a mouse port mouse so check that you will actually have all the
    >connections you need before you do it.

    The Wacoms are USB.
    Andrew, May 15, 2004
  9. Don Stauffer

    pjp Guest

    Wacom's mouse (and for that matter the pen also) can be individually set to
    use either absolute or relative co-ords (use the control panel applet to set
    them up)..

    I also have a PS2 mouse and another USB mouse attached. Any/all of them
    control the one system cursor.

    pjp, May 15, 2004
  10. Don Stauffer

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Andrew
    <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:

    > On Sat, 15 May 2004 17:09:12 GMT, "Tony Spadaro"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I use a non-Wacom mouse and my Intous tablet, however, I have a serial
    > >tablet and a mouse port mouse so check that you will actually have all the
    > >connections you need before you do it.

    > The Wacoms are USB.

    current wacoms are usb; older wacoms were serial.

    tony has an older unit.
    nospam, May 15, 2004
  11. Don Stauffer

    Allan Wind Guest

    On 2004-05-15, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:
    > The mouse is a bit of a pain IMO as it uses absolutecoordinates rather
    > than relative movements like normal mice/trackballs.

    You can configure it to use either relative or absolute coordinates.

    And while the 4D mouse works pefect well, is not as ergonimically nice
    as the current crop of Logitech mice. Large tablets, of course, take up
    a lot of space (especially since there is a couple of inches of inactive
    area, and it also about as thick as a keyboard).

    The pen is awesome for graphics work.

    /Allan
    --
    Allan Wind
    P.O. Box 2022
    Allan Wind, May 15, 2004
  12. I have the advantage of being ambidextrous and writing with my left hand
    while I have always use a mouse (trackman marble really) in my right. I do a
    lot of graphics and can draw with the pen on the left or the mouse on the
    right with the other hand on the keys. The only way it could be better is to
    have a third arm coming from my chest...and it would have advantages while
    waltzing too!

    Gene Palmiter, May 15, 2004
  13. Don Stauffer

    Andrew Guest

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 20:08:06 GMT, Allan Wind <>
    wrote:

    >You can configure it to use either relative or absolute coordinates.

    Seems I missed that option.

    >And while the 4D mouse works pefect well, is not as ergonimically nice
    >as the current crop of Logitech mice.

    Yup, I much prefer my MX500.

    >The pen is awesome for graphics work.

    Definitely, great product.
    Andrew, May 15, 2004
  14. Don Stauffer

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    All of them? I guess times have changed since I got mine. I do remember the
    next generation of them had the option of being serial or USB.
    I personally find USB a lot less "foolproof" than claimed. There is always a
    device or two dropping out at weird times. A re-boot has always fixed it,
    but it's a PITA and I intend to use my serial tablet until it or I die.

    Tony Spadaro, May 15, 2004
  15. Don Stauffer

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I am also ambi --- actually a lefty who went to Catholic school and was not
    allowed to use a pen with the "devil's hand". I keep the tablet on my right
    hand and the mouse on my left. I now even do editing of my writing with the
    tablet and keyboard - typing lefty only. I used to play keyboards lefty only
    in a rock group too. Maybe I'm really ambisinisterous.

    Tony Spadaro, May 15, 2004
  16. Don Stauffer

    Andrew Guest

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 21:36:48 GMT, "Tony Spadaro"
    <> wrote:

    >All of them? I guess times have changed since I got mine. I do remember the
    >next generation of them had the option of being serial or USB.
    >I personally find USB a lot less "foolproof" than claimed. There is always a
    >device or two dropping out at weird times. A re-boot has always fixed it,
    >but it's a PITA and I intend to use my serial tablet until it or I die.

    I have about 8 USB devices on my PC, including a Wacom Graphire 2, and
    don't have any problems.
    Andrew, May 15, 2004
  17. Don Stauffer

    pjp Guest

    Same here (e.g. 8 USB devices attached) but using two external self-powered
    4 port usb hubs (mb only has two ports) which DO PROVIDE the spec'd 500Ma to
    every port simulataneously (some don't!!!) hence I've never experience any
    problems with anything at any time ... even with two of the devices being
    Logitech Rumblepads which require the full 500Ma to work properly. Bandwidth
    also hasn't been a problem as I seldom am using "most" of them at the same
    time.

    pjp, May 16, 2004
  18. Don Stauffer

    zeitgeist Guest

    > I am contemplating buying a Graphire or Intous tablet. I know they come
    > with a wireless mouse, and allow simultaneous use of mouse or tablet.
    >
    > However, MUST I use the Wacom mouse for my mouse? I use a trackball, and
    > would prefer to use that when I am not using pen and tablet. Can I do
    > this?
    > --

    I do exactly that.

    the only time I've ever had a problem was when I'd leave the pen ON the
    tablet while doing something else, then if I bumped the tablet, which is
    often laying cockeyed , the pen would roll causing confusion. nothing
    serious. xp os
    zeitgeist, May 16, 2004
  19. Don Stauffer

    pjp Guest

    The only time the Wacom mouse is ised here is when a friend and I play
    Links2003, solely because the wacom can physically reach further hence we
    don't have to pass the Logitech PS2 connected mouse back and forth.

    When doing this, we've learned to not leave the wacom's mouse laying on the
    tablet when the PS2 mouse is being used. Otherwise, occasionally, not often
    but randomly it seems Windows gets confused about mouse button
    pressed/released and which mouse is being "used". It's only momentarily but
    means we tend to leave "mulligans" enabled in the game :)

    Our pen runs absolute mode so we learned right off to not leave that laying
    on the table otherwise the minute you try to move the cursor using the
    "regular" mouse, it jumps right back to where the pen says to put it. The
    built-in pen holder seems adequate for the purpose.

    Just in case original poster doesn't know this as he mentioned "wireless".
    The mouse only works when on the tablet, it requires no batteries etc.
    instead deriving it's power from the tablets electrical field (or whatever).
    It goes "dead" when removed away from surface.

    pjp, May 16, 2004
  20. In article <Vkqpc.63571$>,
    bent*pegs69noospam*@att.net says...

    >Fwiw, I'd get the next size up from the smallish 4x6 inch one. I find the
    >small area a bit too much of a hindrance to draw with any type of quality.
    >Sort of like drawing on a pinhead if you get my drift.

    Just a counter opinion. I use both sizes. A 4x6 at home and a 6x9 at work. I
    actually prefer my 4x6 because it takes so much less hand movement. I use my
    tablet exclusively and don't even have a mouse attached to my machine so I use
    the tablet for everything and prefer the smaller format.

    I've been using this setup for about 4 years and hate having to use a mouse on
    anyone else's machine anymore.

    Glenn
    Glenn Woodell, May 17, 2004