WAAAAY OFF TOPIC... but funny.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Lookingglass, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. Lookingglass

    Lookingglass Guest

    It's kinda warm tonight here in San Francisco... I had the back door open
    (for cross-ventilation) with the screen-door closed to keep the cat in. I
    was
    in the bedroom watching something on the TV... when the cat comes barreling
    into the room... she leaps onto the bed... ears straight up... hair on
    end... staring at the bedroom door (Lassie-like!). So I figured, Oh-Oh!!!
    someone's come in the back door. So I get out of bed... head for the kitchen
    (I had all the lights out), and I hear someone over by the cat's food
    bowl... turn on the light and there's a big ol' raccoon gnawing on the cat's
    goodies... he looks at me like he owns the place!!! I grabbed my trusty
    digital camera and got some great shots to show the folks at work... he was
    after all a friendly sort of fellow... although I certainly didn't try to
    pet him... he scratched alot between snacks and had big claws...! Then I
    quietly got the broom and escorted the critter out the back screen door...
    the same one he tore a hole in... Now the cat is "antsy" and she's pacing
    back and forth... I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight!

    This is probably regular stuff for you country folk, but for this city-boy
    it's pretty exciting.

    OK... you can all go back to doing what it is you do................

    dave... www.Shemakhan.com
    Lookingglass, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Lookingglass

    Dana Hill Guest

    "Lookingglass" <> wrote in message
    > It's kinda warm tonight here in San Francisco... I had the back door open
    > (for cross-ventilation) with the screen-door closed to keep the cat in. I
    > was
    > in the bedroom watching something on the TV... when the cat comes
    > barreling
    > into the room... she leaps onto the bed... ears straight up... hair on
    > end... staring at the bedroom door (Lassie-like!). So I figured, Oh-Oh!!!
    > someone's come in the back door. So I get out of bed... head for the
    > kitchen
    > (I had all the lights out), and I hear someone over by the cat's food
    > bowl... turn on the light and there's a big ol' raccoon gnawing on the
    > cat's
    > goodies... he looks at me like he owns the place!!! I grabbed my trusty
    > digital camera and got some great shots to show the folks at work... he
    > was
    > after all a friendly sort of fellow... although I certainly didn't try to
    > pet him... he scratched alot between snacks and had big claws...! Then I
    > quietly got the broom and escorted the critter out the back screen door...
    > the same one he tore a hole in... Now the cat is "antsy" and she's pacing
    > back and forth... I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight!
    >
    > This is probably regular stuff for you country folk, but for this city-boy
    > it's pretty exciting.
    >
    > OK... you can all go back to doing what it is you do................

    I suppose that Gainesville is essentially wilderness compared to San
    Francisco, but, for what it's worth, I, too, had contact with a raccoon
    yesterday. I was driving across campus, and it went racing across the two
    lane road from a horse pasture to a marshy lake. It's a good thing the
    speed limit is 20mph campus-wide.

    I am impressed that you feel safe enough to sleep with your back door open.
    A mighty fortress is my house.

    --

    Dana Hill
    Gainesville, Florida
    Dana Hill, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Lookingglass

    Brodieman Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 00:46:43 -0700, Lookingglass wrote:

    > It's kinda warm tonight here in San Francisco... I had the back door open
    > (for cross-ventilation) with the screen-door closed to keep the cat in. I
    > was
    > in the bedroom watching something on the TV... when the cat comes barreling
    > into the room... she leaps onto the bed... ears straight up... hair on
    > end... staring at the bedroom door (Lassie-like!). So I figured, Oh-Oh!!!
    > someone's come in the back door. So I get out of bed... head for the kitchen
    > (I had all the lights out), and I hear someone over by the cat's food
    > bowl... turn on the light and there's a big ol' raccoon gnawing on the cat's
    > goodies... he looks at me like he owns the place!!! I grabbed my trusty
    > digital camera and got some great shots to show the folks at work... he was
    > after all a friendly sort of fellow... although I certainly didn't try to
    > pet him... he scratched alot between snacks and had big claws...! Then I
    > quietly got the broom and escorted the critter out the back screen door...
    > the same one he tore a hole in... Now the cat is "antsy" and she's pacing
    > back and forth... I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight!
    >
    > This is probably regular stuff for you country folk, but for this city-boy
    > it's pretty exciting.
    >
    > OK... you can all go back to doing what it is you do................
    >

    > dave... www.Shemakhan.com

    The same thing happens to me here in South East England, but with badgers
    instead =/
    My cat is no match for those fuckers
    Brodieman, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Lookingglass

    Guest

    we have possums in Brooklyn (NYC).... they are nocturnal so we have to
    take in the food at night. Never see them in the day

    AB

    Lookingglass wrote:
    > It's kinda warm tonight here in San Francisco... I had the back door open
    > (for cross-ventilation) with the screen-door closed to keep the cat in. I
    > was
    > in the bedroom watching something on the TV... when the cat comes barreling
    > into the room... she leaps onto the bed... ears straight up... hair on
    > end... staring at the bedroom door (Lassie-like!). So I figured, Oh-Oh!!!
    > someone's come in the back door. So I get out of bed... head for the kitchen
    > (I had all the lights out), and I hear someone over by the cat's food
    > bowl... turn on the light and there's a big ol' raccoon gnawing on the cat's
    > goodies... he looks at me like he owns the place!!! I grabbed my trusty
    > digital camera and got some great shots to show the folks at work... he was
    > after all a friendly sort of fellow... although I certainly didn't try to
    > pet him... he scratched alot between snacks and had big claws...! Then I
    > quietly got the broom and escorted the critter out the back screen door...
    > the same one he tore a hole in... Now the cat is "antsy" and she's pacing
    > back and forth... I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight!
    >
    > This is probably regular stuff for you country folk, but for this city-boy
    > it's pretty exciting.
    >
    > OK... you can all go back to doing what it is you do................
    >

    > dave... www.Shemakhan.com
    , Jul 12, 2005
  5. Lookingglass

    bpnjensen Guest

    We get the raccoons and skunks and 'possums and squirrels here - so far
    they haven't come into the house (our cats' and dog's domain), but the
    domestic critters are certainly aware of them!

    The raccoons, especially, like to poop on our shed roof...The one
    drawback to an otherwise charming bit of urban wildlife.

    Bruce Jensen
    bpnjensen, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Lookingglass

    Allen Guest

    wrote:
    > we have possums in Brooklyn (NYC).... they are nocturnal so we have to
    > take in the food at night. Never see them in the day
    >
    > AB
    >
    > Lookingglass wrote:
    >
    >>It's kinda warm tonight here in San Francisco... I had the back door open
    >>(for cross-ventilation) with the screen-door closed to keep the cat in. I
    >>was
    >>in the bedroom watching something on the TV... when the cat comes barreling
    >>into the room... she leaps onto the bed... ears straight up... hair on
    >>end... staring at the bedroom door (Lassie-like!). So I figured, Oh-Oh!!!
    >>someone's come in the back door. So I get out of bed... head for the kitchen
    >>(I had all the lights out), and I hear someone over by the cat's food
    >>bowl... turn on the light and there's a big ol' raccoon gnawing on the cat's
    >>goodies... he looks at me like he owns the place!!! I grabbed my trusty
    >>digital camera and got some great shots to show the folks at work... he was
    >>after all a friendly sort of fellow... although I certainly didn't try to
    >>pet him... he scratched alot between snacks and had big claws...! Then I
    >>quietly got the broom and escorted the critter out the back screen door...
    >>the same one he tore a hole in... Now the cat is "antsy" and she's pacing
    >>back and forth... I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight!
    >>
    >>This is probably regular stuff for you country folk, but for this city-boy
    >>it's pretty exciting.
    >>
    >>OK... you can all go back to doing what it is you do................
    >>

    >>dave... www.Shemakhan.com

    A few years ago I looked outside about 10:00 PM and saw two of my cats,
    a very large raccoon and a possum on my deck, all within perhaps five
    feet of each other; None of the four was paying any attention whatsoever
    to the other three.
    Allen
    Allen, Jul 13, 2005
  7. Lookingglass

    Guest Guest

    > wrote:
    > > we have possums in Brooklyn (NYC).... they are nocturnal so we have to
    > > take in the food at night. Never see them in the day
    > >
    > > AB

    Nah! Those are were-beagles.

    St. André Ouspenskya
    Guest, Jul 13, 2005
  8. Lookingglass

    Bob Harper Guest

    >> Lookingglass wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's kinda warm tonight here in San Francisco... I had the back
    >>> door open (for cross-ventilation) with the screen-door closed to
    >>> keep the cat in. I was in the bedroom watching something on the
    >>> TV... when the cat comes barreling into the room... she leaps
    >>> onto the bed... ears straight up... hair on end... staring at the
    >>> bedroom door (Lassie-like!). So I figured, Oh-Oh!!! someone's
    >>> come in the back door. So I get out of bed... head for the
    >>> kitchen (I had all the lights out), and I hear someone over by
    >>> the cat's food bowl... turn on the light and there's a big ol'
    >>> raccoon gnawing on the cat's goodies... he looks at me like he
    >>> owns the place!!! I grabbed my trusty digital camera and got
    >>> some great shots to show the folks at work... he was after all a
    >>> friendly sort of fellow... although I certainly didn't try to pet
    >>> him... he scratched alot between snacks and had big claws...!
    >>> Then I quietly got the broom and escorted the critter out the
    >>> back screen door... the same one he tore a hole in... Now the cat
    >>> is "antsy" and she's pacing back and forth... I don't think I'll
    >>> get much sleep tonight!
    >>>
    >>> This is probably regular stuff for you country folk, but for this
    >>> city-boy it's pretty exciting.
    >>>
    >>> OK... you can all go back to doing what it is you
    >>> do................
    >>>

    >>> dave... www.Shemakhan.com

    We've got coyotes down the hill (it's a little wilderness in the middle
    of a suburb); occasionally they'll get in a fight with a neighbor's dog
    (which usually comes out worse for the encounter). One day there was one
    in the middle of our street, though it took off as soon as people showed up.

    Bob Harper
    Bob Harper, Jul 13, 2005
  9. Lookingglass

    Guest

    Brodieman wrote:
    >The same thing happens to me here in South East >England, but with badgers
    >instead =/
    >My cat is no match for those fuckers

    Check these fuckers out:

    <http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com>

    :)
    , Jul 13, 2005
  10. Lookingglass

    Brodieman Guest

    wrote:
    > Brodieman wrote:
    > >The same thing happens to me here in South East >England, but with badgers
    > >instead =/
    > >My cat is no match for those fuckers

    > Check these fuckers out:
    >
    > <http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com>
    >
    > :)

    yikes!
    Brodieman, Jul 13, 2005
  11. Lookingglass

    Raymond Hall Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Brodieman wrote:
    >>The same thing happens to me here in South East >England, but with badgers
    >>instead =/
    >>My cat is no match for those fuckers

    > Check these fuckers out:
    >
    > <http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com>

    Kool. D F-D doing some funky badger stuff?

    Ray H
    Taree
    Raymond Hall, Jul 13, 2005
  12. Lookingglass

    Allen Guest

    Bob Harper wrote:

    > We've got coyotes down the hill (it's a little wilderness in the middle
    > of a suburb); occasionally they'll get in a fight with a neighbor's dog
    > (which usually comes out worse for the encounter). One day there was one
    > in the middle of our street, though it took off as soon as people showed
    > up.
    >
    > Bob Harper

    Your coyotes leave when they see people? They pay little attention to
    us in my neighborhood. A few months ago I drove in my driveway , got
    out of my car, and saw one trotting up my neighbor's drive, about 50
    feet away. I yelled at it, it gave me a "your point is?" look and
    continued at its same pace. I live in Austin, in an area that it quite
    thoroughly developed, but it might as well be a wildlife refuge. In
    addition to raccoons, possums, squirrels and coyotes, we have deer all
    over the place, enough to be a driving hazard; they pay no attention at
    all to humans. Every year we have several fawns born in our back yard.
    Allen

  14. Lookingglass

    Guest

    I live in the "wilds" of Manhattan. A couple of years ago I was
    walking to work through Central Park. Sauntering down the exact middle
    of the road, as if he owned the whole town, was a big, really fat
    raccoon. Not a sight you see too often in Manhattan!

    Regards,

    Paul
    , Jul 13, 2005
  15. Lookingglass

    Dan Tritter Guest

    wrote:

    > I live in the "wilds" of Manhattan. A couple of years ago I was
    > walking to work through Central Park. Sauntering down the exact middle
    > of the road, as if he owned the whole town, was a big, really fat
    > raccoon. Not a sight you see too often in Manhattan!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Paul

    did you get his name? did you recommend the atkins diet?
    Dan Tritter, Jul 13, 2005
  16. Lookingglass

    Lookingglass Guest

    "Raymond Hall" <> wrote in message
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Check these fuckers out:
    >>
    >> <http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com>

    > Kool. D F-D doing some funky badger stuff?
    >
    > Ray H
    > Taree

    I can't believe I sat here for a few minutes watching that!!! I was waiting
    for the "plot" to change...?!? LOL

    dave................ www.Shemakhan.com
    Lookingglass, Jul 13, 2005
  17. Lookingglass

    A. Brain Guest

    "Dan Tritter" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> I live in the "wilds" of Manhattan. A couple of years ago I was
    >> walking to work through Central Park. Sauntering down the exact
    >> middle
    >> of the road, as if he owned the whole town, was a big, really fat
    >> raccoon. Not a sight you see too often in Manhattan!

    A couple of years ago, I was drving on the Cross County Parkway
    just outside of Manhattan and was startled to see four large wild
    turkeys standing on the side of the road. A couple of weeks later,
    CNN had a story about these birds hanging out in Manhattan as
    well.

    --
    A. Brain

    Remove NOSPAM for email.
    A. Brain, Jul 13, 2005
  18. Lookingglass

    A. Brain Guest

    "Bob Harper" <> wrote in message
    > We've got coyotes down the hill (it's a little wilderness in the
    > middle of a suburb); occasionally they'll get in a fight with a
    > neighbor's dog (which usually comes out worse for the encounter). One
    > day there was one in the middle of our street, though it took off as
    > soon as people showed up.

    Plenty of wildlife here in inner city Houston, "inner city" meaning to
    me within fifteen minutes of a cinema that plays foreign or "art house"
    films.

    Summer's here and the beautiful sounds emanating from mockingbirds
    are gone. There are plenty of raccoons, possums, chameleons, etc.

    Not too long ago, I was walking two terriers, my own and my sister's,
    and fortunately I was the first one to spot two baby possoms
    in the moonlight just outside my front door. Thank goodness they
    had already learned how to play possum.

    A couple of years ago there was a fascinating article about
    opossums somewhere on the internet, basically about how
    this animal gets a bad rap. Raccoons, on the other hand,
    can be vicious, but they are so cute...

    You linguists: Where is the possum/opossum line in the U.S.?
    --
    A. Brain

    Remove NOSPAM for email.
    A. Brain, Jul 13, 2005
  19. Lookingglass

    REG Guest

    Paging Phillip Glass

    REG, Jul 14, 2005
  20. Lookingglass wrote:

    >It's kinda warm tonight here in San Francisco... I had the back door open
    >(for cross-ventilation) with the screen-door closed to keep the cat in. I
    >was
    >in the bedroom watching something on the TV... when the cat comes barreling
    >into the room... she leaps onto the bed... ears straight up... hair on
    >end... staring at the bedroom door (Lassie-like!). So I figured, Oh-Oh!!!
    >someone's come in the back door. So I get out of bed... head for the kitchen
    >(I had all the lights out), and I hear someone over by the cat's food
    >bowl... turn on the light and there's a big ol' raccoon gnawing on the cat's
    >goodies... he looks at me like he owns the place!!! I grabbed my trusty
    >digital camera and got some great shots to show the folks at work... he was
    >after all a friendly sort of fellow... although I certainly didn't try to
    >pet him... he scratched alot between snacks and had big claws...! Then I
    >quietly got the broom and escorted the critter out the back screen door...
    >the same one he tore a hole in... Now the cat is "antsy" and she's pacing
    >back and forth... I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight!
    >
    >This is probably regular stuff for you country folk, but for this city-boy
    >it's pretty exciting.
    >
    >OK... you can all go back to doing what it is you do................
    >

    >dave... www.Shemakhan.com

    And all I have to get excited about is snails. I did have a mouse a
    couple of years ago. It died on my kitchen floor. That scared me.

    --
    http://www.madmusingsof.me.uk/weblog/
    http://www.geraldine-curtis.me.uk/photoblog/
    La Donna Mobile, Jul 14, 2005