    lets say W98 is Fat32, and the XP workgroup is all NTFS?
    i can't seem to connect the W98 machine so i was wondering if the
    problem is down to file systems? thanks.
    6ftplus, Sep 13, 2005

  2. 6ftplus

    Tony Guest

    Are you sure you are in the same workgroup? If so, can the other members of the workgroup see you?
    Any firewall issues preventing you from seeing them. Can you ping the others?. Can they ping you?
    Does the 98 machine have file sharing enabled?

    Your problem might have more to do with permissions than anything elseCreate a user name and
    password that is identical to one fo the other machines and log in as that name. Does that let you
    see the workgroup?

    Tony, Sep 13, 2005

  3. 6ftplus

    AG Guest

    "6ftplus" <> wrote in message
    > as W98 is Fat32 and XP is mostly NTFS can you have a W98 machine on a
    > small XP workgroup.
    > lets say W98 is Fat32, and the XP workgroup is all NTFS?
    > i can't seem to connect the W98 machine so i was wondering if the
    > problem is down to file systems? thanks.

    As others have said, file system doesn't matter across a network. You don't
    have any trouble accessing Linux, NT, 2000 or 2003 servers across the
    internet do you? Yes it's a different sort of limited access but it is
    access if you think about it.
    When you share file access or anything else across a network, whether it's a
    printer, storage space, or web pages the resource is what is shared not a
    file system.

    AG
    AG, Sep 13, 2005
  4. On 13 Sep 2005 05:01:42 -0700, "6ftplus" <>
    wrote:

    >as W98 is Fat32 and XP is mostly NTFS can you have a W98 machine on a
    >small XP workgroup.
    >lets say W98 is Fat32, and the XP workgroup is all NTFS?
    >i can't seem to connect the W98 machine so i was wondering if the
    >problem is down to file systems? thanks.

    I have Several W98's online with ME, XP (home and pro), 2000 Server &
    Server 2003.
    It has to do with the language they use to speak to one another. Not
    the language they use to write to their own drives.
    Netbios, TCP/IP are the languages of choice for ethernet
    communications. Netbios generally for workgroup communications, but
    TCP/IP is the present standard since it can be used for workgroups AND
    the internet and larger Local networks.
    First establish that you have physical connection to your
    Hub/Switch/Router on all affected machines. Then it will depend on
    your setup.

    What's your setup? (Hub/Switch/Router)
    William Conley, Sep 15, 2005
  5. 6ftplus

    6ftplus Guest

    thanks guys. went through all the processes again listed here and hey
    presto. don't u love it when it works.
    thanks to alll who helped.
    6ftplus, Sep 20, 2005