    Unfortunately Windows Backup was not set up on the computer.

    Can anyone advice on how to recover this very important file?

    Thanks
    M.K, Feb 17, 2010

  2. M.K

    James Kosin Guest

    On 2/17/2010 1:29 PM, M.K wrote:
    > By mistake deleted an XLS file from my desktop using shift+delete.
    > Unfortunately Windows Backup was not set up on the computer.
    >
    > Can anyone advice on how to recover this very important file?
    >
    > Thanks

    Unfortunately, I tried on a sample unimportant file and shift+delete
    really deletes the file and bypasses the safety net of the trashcan.
    Meaning.... unless you have a copy somewhere you are most likely out of
    luck and will have to reproduce the information.
    I'm guessing you also clicked YES when windows asked you if you really
    wanted to remove the file as well.

    Good Luck,
    James
    James Kosin, Feb 18, 2010

  3. M.K

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 17/02/2010 in message <#i8QY8$> M.K wrote:

    >By mistake deleted an XLS file from my desktop using shift+delete.
    >Unfortunately Windows Backup was not set up on the computer.
    >
    >Can anyone advice on how to recover this very important file?
    >
    >Thanks

    Google for 'windows deleted file recovery'.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.
    Jeff Gaines, Feb 18, 2010
  4. M.K

    James Kosin Guest

    On 2/18/2010 3:46 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:
    > On 17/02/2010 in message <#i8QY8$> M.K wrote:
    >
    >> By mistake deleted an XLS file from my desktop using shift+delete.
    >> Unfortunately Windows Backup was not set up on the computer.
    >>
    >> Can anyone advice on how to recover this very important file?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Google for 'windows deleted file recovery'.

    Those really don't work unless you run them immediately upon deletion.
    The act of installing or creating new files runs the risk of overwriting
    the information... if it hasn't already.

    James
    James Kosin, Feb 18, 2010
  5. M.K

    The Sizzler Guest

    "Ghod Dhammit" wrote:

    > Still, it's worth a shot.

    You such an idiot what would you know?
    The Sizzler, Feb 19, 2010
  6. M.K

    Jeff Layman Guest

    "James Kosin" <> wrote in message
    > On 2/18/2010 3:46 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:
    >> On 17/02/2010 in message <#i8QY8$> M.K
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> By mistake deleted an XLS file from my desktop using shift+delete.
    >>> Unfortunately Windows Backup was not set up on the computer.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone advice on how to recover this very important file?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> Google for 'windows deleted file recovery'.
    >>

    > Those really don't work unless you run them immediately upon deletion.
    > The act of installing or creating new files runs the risk of overwriting
    > the information... if it hasn't already.
    >
    > James

    I've never used shift-delete - can't see the point of it. If you want to
    safely delete a file which, for example, contains confidential information,
    then you need to use an erasing utility to be sure it has gone and is
    irretrievable. If you don't know, or don't care, whether or not you'll need
    the file again, then a simple "delete" is sufficient, with emptying of the
    Recycle Bin now and again.

    --

    Jeff
    Jeff Layman, Feb 19, 2010
  7. M.K

    James Kosin Guest

    On 2/19/2010 7:25 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:

    > "James Kosin" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2/18/2010 3:46 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:

    >>> Google for 'windows deleted file recovery'.
    >>>

    >> Those really don't work unless you run them immediately upon deletion.
    >> The act of installing or creating new files runs the risk of overwriting
    >> the information... if it hasn't already.
    >>
    >> James

    > I've never used shift-delete - can't see the point of it. If you want
    > to safely delete a file which, for example, contains confidential
    > information, then you need to use an erasing utility to be sure it has
    > gone and is irretrievable. If you don't know, or don't care, whether or
    > not you'll need the file again, then a simple "delete" is sufficient,
    > with emptying of the Recycle Bin now and again.

    I didn't say I saw the point of it either. I always use the trash can
    and normal DELETE key to perform this task as well.
    I just tried it because the original poster said they deleted the file
    in this manner and wanted to know how to get it back. I wanted to be
    sure it went to the trashcan even with <shift>-<delete> ... saw that it
    bypassed the trashcan and completely disappeared from existence. So, no
    easy way to get the file back.

    James
    James Kosin, Feb 19, 2010
  8. M.K

    dam Guest

    "The Sizzler" <> wrote in message

    > "Ghod Dhammit" wrote:
    >

    >> Still, it's worth a shot.
    >>

    > You such an idiot what would you know?

    Ladies and Gentlemen,

    Let's welcome the most obvious new troll to this otherwise helpful group.
    Pppfffffffffffflllt!
    dam, Feb 19, 2010
  9. On 2010-02-19 16:29, dam wrote:
    > "The Sizzler"<> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Ghod Dhammit" wrote:
    >>

    >>> Still, it's worth a shot.
    >>>

    >> You such an idiot what would you know?

    > Ladies and Gentlemen,
    >
    > Let's welcome the most obvious new troll to this otherwise helpful group.
    > Pppfffffffffffflllt!

    He/She was around here a long time before you. So, that would seem to
    make you the newest Troll around here since I haven't seen your handle
    before.
    Bobby Johnson, Feb 19, 2010
  10. M.K

    Lee Barnett Guest

    http://www.piriform.com/recuva
    Donate-ware - they have some other nice tools too :)

    Lee Barnett, Feb 21, 2010
  11. M.K

    rak Guest

    Try something like "Recuva" or "Pandora Recovery" If the file hasn't been
    overwritten, one of them might help.

    rak, Feb 21, 2010
  12. M.K

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, M.K.

    Were you running Windows 7? Have you tried the Previous Versions function
    in Windows 7?

    I've never done this, but Search for "previous versions" in Help and
    Support. If you've not turned off System Restore for that HDD, and if
    you've restarted your computer at least once since creating that "lost" file
    and before deleting it, there's a good chance that the "previous version" of
    that file is still available on the disk.

    It's worth a try! Please post back and let us know how it works out for
    you.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Feb 24, 2010
  13. M.K

    TOF Guest

    But you do at least agree on the "troll" part?
    --
    TOF

    TOF, Mar 1, 2010
  14. M.K

    M.K Guest

    Unfortunately system restore was turned off as well.

    M.K, Mar 3, 2010