w32.novarg.a@mm <worm>

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Miggsee, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Miggsee

    Miggsee Guest

    Miggsee, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Miggsee

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Miggsee

    Miggsee Guest

    Miggsee, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Miggsee

    PC Guest

    "Miggsee" <> wrote in message
    news:bv4h36$o172p$-berlin.de...
    > Is this one old news? I just got 4 in my work email in minutes!

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/

    er, right at the top of that page it states:

    Discovered on: January 26, 2004
    Last Updated on: January 26, 2004 11:52:38 PM

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Miggsee

    Miggsee Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message

    > "Miggsee" <> wrote in message
    > > Is this one old news? I just got 4 in my work email in minutes!

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/

    > er, right at the top of that page it states:
    >
    > Discovered on: January 26, 2004
    > Last Updated on: January 26, 2004 11:52:38 PM

    :) Yes, but as °Mike° pointed out, it's a variant. The funny thing is that
    the Symantec site said that it doesn't infect .edu addresses. I received 16
    overnight from my son's college scholarship association.

    Miggsee, Jan 27, 2004
  6. Miggsee

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 02:18:19 +0000, °Mike°
    <> wrote:

    >It's a new variant of the MIMAIL worm, Miggsee.
    >

    >On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:06:19 -0500, in
    > <bv4h36$o172p$-berlin.de>
    > Miggsee scrawled:
    >
    >>Is this one old news? I just got 4 in my work email in minutes!
    >>
    >>http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/

    I just got at least one, there were 2 emails that I received but
    Norton quarantined one. I did not know either of the senders of the
    crap, but the one Norton quarantined was the w32.novarg etc.
    It is interesting because I rarely get mail from unknowns. Now 2 at
    once.
    joevan

    joevan, Jan 27, 2004
  7. It was on Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:06:19 -0500, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that Miggsee wrote:

    > Is this one old news? I just got 4 in my work email in minutes!
    >
    > http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/

    I don't know Miggsee, but there is this warning from Sophos -
    (Again this ONLY affects Windows users)

    EMERGENCY ALERT: Many reports of W32/MyDoom-A worm
    Sophos has received many reports of sightings of the new
    email-aware W32/MyDoom-A worm, and is warning system
    administrators around the world to ensure their systems
    are protected.

      A detailed analysis of W32/MyDoom-A is available at:
      http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32mydooma.html

      More information about W32/MyDoom-A can be found at:
      http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/mydoom.html

      Download the IDE file from:
      http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/mydoom-a.ide

      Read about how to use IDE files at:
      http://www.sophos.com/support/faqs/usingides.html

    ADDITIONAL STEPS:
    Update your corporate anti-virus now so that you can detect
    and prevent the MyDoom-A worm. If you do not have
    procedures for rapid updates, implement them now, because
    you are sure to need them again. Sophos Enterprise Manager
    is the recommended way to help automate protection updates
    inside your company.

      http://www.sophos.com/products/em/

    If you have not already done so, sign-up for free automatic
    notification of every new virus found in the wild.

      http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/notifications/

    Educate your users, and keep yourself constantly aware, of
    the latest virus threats by adding a free virus info feed
    on your website or intranet.  Once added to your site the
    info feed requires no maintenace and is automatically kept
    up-to-date with information about the very latest virus alerts.
    As well as English, the feeds are also available in French,
    German, Spanish and Japanese.

      http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/infofeed/

    Sophos technical support

    --
    Linux User #: 305646. http://counter.li.org/
    Using linux at home, since 1998

    William Poaster, Jan 27, 2004
  8. Miggsee

    Miggsee Guest

    "William Poaster" <> wrote in message
    > It was on Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:06:19 -0500, just as I was halfway through a
    > large jam doughnut, that Miggsee wrote:
    >
    > > Is this one old news? I just got 4 in my work email in minutes!

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/

    > I don't know Miggsee, but there is this warning from Sophos -
    > (Again this ONLY affects Windows users)
    >
    > EMERGENCY ALERT: Many reports of W32/MyDoom-A worm
    > Sophos has received many reports of sightings of the new
    > email-aware W32/MyDoom-A worm, and is warning system
    > administrators around the world to ensure their systems
    > are protected.
    >
    > A detailed analysis of W32/MyDoom-A is available at:
    > http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32mydooma.html
    >
    > More information about W32/MyDoom-A can be found at:
    > http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/mydoom.html
    >
    > Download the IDE file from:
    > http://www.sophos.com/downloads/ide/mydoom-a.ide
    >
    > Read about how to use IDE files at:
    > http://www.sophos.com/support/faqs/usingides.html
    >
    > ADDITIONAL STEPS:
    > Update your corporate anti-virus now so that you can detect
    > and prevent the MyDoom-A worm. If you do not have
    > procedures for rapid updates, implement them now, because
    > you are sure to need them again. Sophos Enterprise Manager
    > is the recommended way to help automate protection updates
    > inside your company.
    >
    > http://www.sophos.com/products/em/
    >

    > If you have not already done so, sign-up for free automatic
    > notification of every new virus found in the wild.
    >
    > http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/notifications/
    >
    > Educate your users, and keep yourself constantly aware, of
    > the latest virus threats by adding a free virus info feed
    > on your website or intranet. Once added to your site the
    > info feed requires no maintenace and is automatically kept
    > up-to-date with information about the very latest virus alerts.
    > As well as English, the feeds are also available in French,
    > German, Spanish and Japanese.
    >
    > http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/infofeed/
    >
    > Sophos technical support

    Corporate Norton is doing a great job in my work GroupWise account. However,
    I preach AV software and updates to my users, but I *know* they'll freak out
    over this. <BIG SIGH> I've already had 30+ deleted today!

    <G> I know! It doesn't infect Linux! ;)~

    Miggsee, Jan 27, 2004
  9. It was on Tue, 27 Jan 2004 05:53:02 -0500, just as I was halfway through a

    :)

    William Poaster, Jan 27, 2004
  10. Miggsee

    Miggsee Guest

    "joevan" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 02:18:19 +0000, °Mike°
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >It's a new variant of the MIMAIL worm, Miggsee.
    > >

    > >On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:06:19 -0500, in
    > > <bv4h36$o172p$-berlin.de>
    > > Miggsee scrawled:
    > >
    > >>Is this one old news? I just got 4 in my work email in minutes!
    > >>

    >>http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/

    ml

    > I just got at least one, there were 2 emails that I received but
    > Norton quarantined one. I did not know either of the senders of the
    > crap, but the one Norton quarantined was the w32.novarg etc.
    > It is interesting because I rarely get mail from unknowns. Now 2 at
    > once.
    > joevan

    I would suggest that someone you know, has the worm. It may send from a
    spoofed address.

    Miggsee, Jan 27, 2004
  11. Miggsee

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:07:32 GMT, in
    <>
    joevan scrawled:

    >On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 02:18:19 +0000, °Mike°
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>It's a new variant of the MIMAIL worm, Miggsee.
    >>

    >>On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:06:19 -0500, in
    >> <bv4h36$o172p$-berlin.de>
    >> Miggsee scrawled:
    >>
    >>>Is this one old news? I just got 4 in my work email in minutes!
    >>>
    >>>http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/
    >>>

    >I just got at least one, there were 2 emails that I received but
    >Norton quarantined one. I did not know either of the senders of the
    >crap, but the one Norton quarantined was the w32.novarg etc.
    >It is interesting because I rarely get mail from unknowns. Now 2 at
    >once.
    >joevan

    As Miggsee said, it's spoofed addresses.
    W32.novarg.a is just Symantec's alias for the new Mimail variant,
    by the way.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 27, 2004