W2K3 Help

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Craig Henning, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. This is unrelated to exams... Sorry for that...

    Please reply to the question within the newsgroup. I
    cannot give out my e-mail add. here.

    I am looking for people who may be experiencing a
    possible 'bug' in W2K3 when used as a member server in an
    NT4 domain. This will be a precursor to opening a support
    incident with MS if necessary.

    Here is the situation...
    - We are still in the dark ages of NT4 as our NOS...We
    have no active directory controllers of any kind (yet).
    - I am a domain admin in the NT4 accounts domain.
    - I have a W2K3 system loaded as a member server and its
    machine account exists in the NT 4 domain.
    - When I log into the local admin account, or any acount
    from the machine's local SAM everything works fine.
    - When I log into the NT4 domain using my admin account
    the system recognizes my credentials as a DA and I can
    adminstrate the machine.
    * Here's the problem: When I use the menus, any menu
    (Start button, drop down from app, etc.) as soon as I
    hover over a menu item that has a submenu the menus hang,
    explorer.exe consumes 100% of the CPU and the system no
    longer responds. It may hang for 10 secs, it may hang
    until I force a logoff with ctrl-alt-del, at which time I
    get End Task popups from Explorer.exe. It is so bad that
    the task manager cannot even track the CPU utilization
    while the desktop is hung.

    Here is what I have tried...
    1) Reloaded W2K3 (cuz I thought it might be a bad patch).
    A fresh load of W2K3 has this problem right out of the box
    on this system.
    2) Moved HDD to a different system with same HW (to
    eliminate the possiblility of a HW problem.
    3) Reduced the settings for performance so that no bells
    and whistles are on for the desktop (no sliding, no
    fading, etc.)
    4) Reverted to classic views on all folders (interestingly
    that helps the start menus to behave but not the
    application or context menus.)
    5) Installed all hardware/software vendor-specific patches
    and upgrades available from 'The New HP'. ;-)
    6) Contacted HP T/S for known errata and to verify support
    for this hardware platform running W2K3. It is supported
    and verified to be operational by HP T/S.
    7) Applied all available MS Patches for W2K3.
    8) Searched Technet to no avail.

    Member servers running Windows 2000 Server do not have
    this problem.

    Member Workstations with WinXP do not have this problem
    (same interfaces and menus as W2K3).

    There are no applications running, nor any Antivirus
    Utilities loaded.

    Hardware specifics:
    Running on a Compaq ML370 server. BIOS updated to most
    current.
    No RAID or anything fancy with the architecture.
    Primary HDD is 18GB, split 8/10 to C and D. D is a logical
    drive in an extended partition.
    Mirrored 36GB HDDs as F
    All drives are 10K RPM U3 SCSI

    Craig Henning, Oct 24, 2003

  2. Craig Henning

    diamond geza Guest

    I doubt if you will get any help from this group, most of them are paper
    mcse's and so won't have a clue what your talking about. Having an mcse
    doesn't mean you know anything about windows software or networking etc.

    You might find more luck by logging onto the news.microsoft.com news server
    and posting your question there on one of the windows server groups like
    microsoft.public.windows.server.general

    diamond geza, Oct 25, 2003

  3. Craig Henning

    Bob Guest

    Have you tried using safe mode with networking?

    Also: does the problem only occur when logging onto the
    domain as administrator, or any domain user?

    And does 2003 honor the poledit policies from the NT dc's?

    Bob, Oct 26, 2003
  4. Craig Henning

    Barry Guest

    who is this cynical, ignorant prick?
    just cos some people cheat the exams doesn't mean we all do.
    and to the question:
    I've never tried this configuration, but, don't forget that Windows
    2000/2003 still applies local Group policy whilst joined to a domain
    so it might be worth looking for clues in gpedit.msc.
    seeing as windows 2000 member servers work fine concentrate on the new
    options in 2003 disabling them one by one and checking again, try checking
    the services that are running as well.
    This is pure guess work but this is what i'd try and this surely must be due
    to a feature in 2003 which is not compatible with your NT 4 domain settings,
    could even be something to do with roaming profiles.

    lastly, sounds obvious but, did you test the machine before you joint the
    domain and have you looked at event viewer etc
    bit long winded I know but hopefully I have suggested something you haven't
    tried yet

    Barry, Oct 29, 2003