    this? How can I get the computer to just shut down like other W2K machines?
    There's no special hardware in it, and no special BIOS settings that I know
    of.

    WCH, Dec 30, 2003

  2. WCH

    Brian H¹© Guest

    WCH said:

    > I just upgraded an older p3 Quantex with a copy of Windows 2000 Pro.
    > Everything went fine except that, when I shut down, I get a screen that says
    > "It is now safe to turn off your computer", like when Windows 98 shuts down.
    > I didn't know such a screen even EXISTED for Windows 2000. Why am I getting
    > this? How can I get the computer to just shut down like other W2K machines?
    > There's no special hardware in it, and no special BIOS settings that I know
    > of.

    Because upgrading keeps the older systems files, you would be far better of
    formatting your drive and doing a clean install of 2000, I can assure that the
    system will be a lot better if you do.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 30, 2003

  3. WCH

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹© said:

    > WCH said:
    >
    >> I just upgraded an older p3 Quantex with a copy of Windows 2000 Pro.
    >> Everything went fine except that, when I shut down, I get a screen that says
    >> "It is now safe to turn off your computer", like when Windows 98 shuts down.
    >> I didn't know such a screen even EXISTED for Windows 2000. Why am I getting
    >> this? How can I get the computer to just shut down like other W2K machines?
    >> There's no special hardware in it, and no special BIOS settings that I know
    >> of.

    > Because upgrading keeps the older systems files, you would be far better of
    > formatting your drive and doing a clean install of 2000, I can assure that the
    > system will be a lot better if you do.

    Or at least,deleting your Windows folder and installing 2000, but you will
    probably find that you still need to re-install a lot of your other programs
    too.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 30, 2003
  4. WCH

    gangle Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810903

    "WCH" wrote

    gangle, Dec 30, 2003
  5. WCH

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:46:19 GMT, "WCH" <> wrote:

    >I just upgraded an older p3 Quantex with a copy of Windows 2000 Pro.
    >Everything went fine except that, when I shut down, I get a screen that says
    >"It is now safe to turn off your computer", like when Windows 98 shuts down.
    >I didn't know such a screen even EXISTED for Windows 2000. Why am I getting
    >this? How can I get the computer to just shut down like other W2K machines?
    >There's no special hardware in it, and no special BIOS settings that I know
    >of.

    The ability of Windows to turn off the computer is determined by the type of
    power supply. Windows 95, 98, 2000, and XP can all turn the power off for
    an ATX system.
    I installed XP in place of 98SE and found that the computer would not switch
    off from Windows. I had to enable a setting in the device manager.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Jan 2, 2004