    Suggestions appreciated,

    Dave H.

    --
    DH, Jul 14, 2004

  2. DH

    Thor Guest

    uninstall the printer driver from the computer to which it was formerly
    directly connected, then use the "add printer" utility and specify that it
    is a network printer during setup. If the printer is networkable, then it
    should acquire the proper network driver from the host. If not, it may ask
    for the installation CD.

    "DH" <(axe the x's)> wrote in message
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > I am trying to connect a printer via a network. The printer was at one

    time
    > connected to the (W2K)computer directly via the USB port. It is now
    > connected and shared from a differnt XP computer(and shared). When I try

    > connect to this printer, it connects but reverts to the old USB connection
    > rather that a TCP port. I cannot change the port because the "add port"

    is

    Thor, Jul 14, 2004

  3. DH

    DH Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > uninstall the printer driver from the computer to which it was formerly
    > directly connected, then use the "add printer" utility and specify that it
    > is a network printer during setup. If the printer is networkable, then it
    > should acquire the proper network driver from the host. If not, it may ask
    > for the installation CD.
    >

    > ..
    > "DH" <(axe the x's)> wrote in message
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > I am trying to connect a printer via a network. The printer was at one

    > time
    > > connected to the (W2K)computer directly via the USB port. It is now
    > > connected and shared from a differnt XP computer(and shared). When I

    try
    > > connect to this printer, it connects but reverts to the old USB

    connection
    > > rather that a TCP port. I cannot change the port because the "add port"

    > is
    > > not available.
    > >
    > > Suggestions appreciated,
    > >
    > > Dave H.
    > >
    > > --

    Thank you for the reply.

    I have tried your suggestion a couple of times. Regardless of what I do it
    picks up the USB port, even after it goes and finds the networked printer on
    the other computer.

    I think the operative question is "Where is past printer information
    stored".

    Again thanks,

    Dave H.
    DH, Jul 14, 2004
  4. DH

    Thor Guest

    > Thank you for the reply.
    >
    > I have tried your suggestion a couple of times. Regardless of what I do

    it
    > picks up the USB port, even after it goes and finds the networked printer

    on
    > the other computer.
    >
    > I think the operative question is "Where is past printer information
    > stored".
    >
    > Again thanks,
    >
    > Dave H.

    What brand/model of printer? Also you could try going to the device manager
    and try temporarily disabling your USB controllers, and see if that forces
    the driver to print to the network. If it can't find a USB port, maybe it
    won't try installing to one.
    Thor, Jul 14, 2004
  5. DH

    DH Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > > Thank you for the reply.
    > >
    > > I have tried your suggestion a couple of times. Regardless of what I do

    > it
    > > picks up the USB port, even after it goes and finds the networked

    printer
    > on
    > > the other computer.
    > >
    > > I think the operative question is "Where is past printer information
    > > stored".
    > >
    > > Again thanks,
    > >
    > > Dave H.

    > What brand/model of printer? Also you could try going to the device

    manager
    > and try temporarily disabling your USB controllers, and see if that forces
    > the driver to print to the network. If it can't find a USB port, maybe it
    > won't try installing to one.

    Good thought, I will give it a try. The printer is a standard HP Ink Jet.

    Thanks,

    Dave H.
    DH, Jul 14, 2004
  6. DH

    Thor Guest

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > Thank you for the reply.
    > > >
    > > > I have tried your suggestion a couple of times. Regardless of what I

    do
    > > it
    > > > picks up the USB port, even after it goes and finds the networked

    > printer
    > > on
    > > > the other computer.
    > > >
    > > > I think the operative question is "Where is past printer information
    > > > stored".
    > > >
    > > > Again thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Dave H.

    > > What brand/model of printer? Also you could try going to the device

    > manager
    > > and try temporarily disabling your USB controllers, and see if that

    forces
    > > the driver to print to the network. If it can't find a USB port, maybe

    it
    > > won't try installing to one.
    > >

    > Good thought, I will give it a try. The printer is a standard HP Ink Jet.

    yes, but do you know for a fact that it is network compatible?
    Thor, Jul 14, 2004
  7. DH

    DH Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "DH" <(axe the x's)> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > do
    > > > it

    > > printer
    > > > on

    > > > What brand/model of printer? Also you could try going to the device

    > > manager
    > > > and try temporarily disabling your USB controllers, and see if that

    > forces
    > > > the driver to print to the network. If it can't find a USB port, maybe

    > it
    > > > won't try installing to one.
    > > >

    > > Good thought, I will give it a try. The printer is a standard HP Ink

    Jet.

    > yes, but do you know for a fact that it is network compatible?

    I do, other computers can connect and print to it.

    Dave H.
    DH, Jul 15, 2004
  8. DH

    PLS Guest

    Have you tried installing from the HP CD-ROM
    after deleting all references to the printer?
    Many HP printers only install from *setup*
    not from install new hardware.

    PLS, Jul 15, 2004
  9. DH wrote:

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>uninstall the printer driver from the computer to which it was formerly
    >>directly connected, then use the "add printer" utility and specify that it
    >>is a network printer during setup. If the printer is networkable, then it
    >>should acquire the proper network driver from the host. If not, it may ask
    >>for the installation CD.
    >>

    >>..
    >>"DH" <(axe the x's)> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>>I am trying to connect a printer via a network. The printer was at one

    >>time
    >>
    >>>connected to the (W2K)computer directly via the USB port. It is now
    >>>connected and shared from a differnt XP computer(and shared). When I

    > try

    >>>connect to this printer, it connects but reverts to the old USB

    > connection
    >
    >>>rather that a TCP port. I cannot change the port because the "add port"

    >>is
    >>
    >>>not available.
    >>>
    >>>Suggestions appreciated,
    >>>
    >>>Dave H.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>

    > Thank you for the reply.
    >
    > I have tried your suggestion a couple of times. Regardless of what I do it
    > picks up the USB port, even after it goes and finds the networked printer on
    > the other computer.
    >
    > I think the operative question is "Where is past printer information
    > stored".
    >
    > Again thanks,
    >
    > Dave H.

    'Add port' may not be available-but once it finds the networked printer
    that port should be in the available ports list-at least it is on my
    Win2K. Or are you saying that it's printing to the USB port even though
    the properties specify the network port?
    Calvin Crumrine, Jul 15, 2004
  10. DH

    DH Guest

    > 'Add port' may not be available-but once it finds the networked printer
    > that port should be in the available ports list-at least it is on my
    > Win2K. Or are you saying that it's printing to the USB port even though
    > the properties specify the network port?

    It is trying to print to the USB port. I can not manually change the port
    because the "Add Port" in grayed out and TCP/IP is not an available port
    option.

    Thank you for the reply,

    Dave H.
    DH, Jul 15, 2004
  11. DH wrote:
    >>'Add port' may not be available-but once it finds the networked printer
    >>that port should be in the available ports list-at least it is on my
    >>Win2K. Or are you saying that it's printing to the USB port even though
    >>the properties specify the network port?
    >>

    > It is trying to print to the USB port. I can not manually change the port
    > because the "Add Port" in grayed out and TCP/IP is not an available port
    > option.
    >
    > Thank you for the reply,
    >
    > Dave H.

    The network port wouldn't show up as TCP/IP. If (as I assume) the
    printer is locally attached to another computer & shared via that other
    computer then it would show up as //computername/printersharename
    Calvin Crumrine, Jul 15, 2004