    software dealing with encryption - anyone recommend prg?

    Thanks
    nof

    nof, Dec 12, 2009

  2. nof

    Carnations Guest

    On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 14:16:00 -0800, nof wrote:

    > I am having trouble with wifi. W 7 won't recognise iPhone. Would it be
    > an encryption problem? If so where is the encryption? I have seen
    > software dealing with encryption - anyone recommend prg?

    Could it be as simple as Microsoft software deliberately not recognizing competing Apple hardware?

    That is not altogether out of the question due to Microsoft's past business antics.

    Also, has it worked for you before using Microsoft WinNT 6.1 or WinNT6.0? These versions of MS
    Windows are not compatible with previous versions.

    Carnations, Dec 13, 2009

  3. nof

    victor Guest

    nof wrote:
    > I am having trouble with wifi. W 7 won't recognise iPhone. Would it be
    > an encryption problem? If so where is the encryption? I have seen
    > software dealing with encryption - anyone recommend prg?
    >
    > Thanks
    > nof

    Can you explain what you are trying to do ?
    To transfer content via wifi between a PC and iphone I have them both
    connecting to an AP/router and a sharing app on both the iphone and the pc.
    It is possible to set up an adhoc connection if you set it up on the PC
    first, give it an ssid and let the iphone detect it.

    victor, Dec 13, 2009
  4. nof

    nof Guest

    On 13 Dec, 16:27, victor <> wrote:
    > nof wrote:
    > > I am having trouble with wifi. W 7 won't recognise iPhone. Would it be
    > > an encryption problem? If so where is the encryption? I have seen
    > > software dealing with encryption - anyone recommend prg?

    > > Thanks
    > > nof

    > Can you explain what you are trying to do ?
    > To transfer content via wifi between a PC and iphone I have them both
    > connecting to an AP/router and a sharing app on both the iphone and the pc.
    > It is possible to set up an adhoc connection if you set it up on the PC
    > first, give it an ssid and let the iphone detect it.

    Thanks people,

    Iphone and Vista worked fine. (About the only thing Vista could do for
    me) With W 7 it does not recognise the iPhone on the home network. I
    want to use wifi because of speed, convenience and saving. Be in one
    part of the home and iPhone will work wirelessly. Encryption is shared
    as: ssid. Yesterday the problem was the passcode, this morning I went
    to Vodafone about that. Passcode is able to accept a new passcode
    entry I was told. Then the iPhone won't ask again. Not for me. The
    passcode must be somewhere on the computer, I was told. Connection may
    be helped using WAP2 but not for me. I may reset entirely. I have
    trawled for many hours and days - I have been on forums too. I have
    read thousands of requests. There is something radically wrong with a
    product like iPhone that so many are posting so desperately. Maybe
    Apple and PC are at the core. I think there is a setting I have
    missed, perhaps one little button somewhere that needs to be turned on
    or off. There are a number of small applets in the iTunes store which
    I can try. Yes I have read the manual. I remember a story from long
    ago - someone was remonstrating with a techie about the charge of
    repairs. The techie said 10% is for kicking the problem and 90% of the
    price for knowing where to kick. This morning I phoned the Apple
    Support line but no joy - I seem to know more than the person at the
    other end of the phone. Maybe he was in Manilla. I have checked out
    the modem. I have checked out xtra - there is a massive area south
    from Taupo which is down. They can't do anything. Google has turned up
    some helpful things. I have been on sites nearly everywhere I can
    think of. I found a file named WiFifofum in the Applet store at
    iTunes. I downloaded it but can't sync it to the iPhone at present.

    Where will it all end?

    nof

    nof, Dec 14, 2009
  5. nof

    victor Guest

    nof wrote:
    > On 13 Dec, 16:27, victor <> wrote:
    >> nof wrote:
    >>> I am having trouble with wifi. W 7 won't recognise iPhone. Would it be
    >>> an encryption problem? If so where is the encryption? I have seen
    >>> software dealing with encryption - anyone recommend prg?
    >>> Thanks
    >>> nof

    >> Can you explain what you are trying to do ?
    >> To transfer content via wifi between a PC and iphone I have them both
    >> connecting to an AP/router and a sharing app on both the iphone and the pc.
    >> It is possible to set up an adhoc connection if you set it up on the PC
    >> first, give it an ssid and let the iphone detect it.

    > Thanks people,
    >
    > Iphone and Vista worked fine. (About the only thing Vista could do for
    > me) With W 7 it does not recognise the iPhone on the home network. I
    > want to use wifi because of speed, convenience and saving. Be in one
    > part of the home and iPhone will work wirelessly. Encryption is shared
    > as: ssid. Yesterday the problem was the passcode, this morning I went
    > to Vodafone about that. Passcode is able to accept a new passcode
    > entry I was told. Then the iPhone won't ask again. Not for me. The
    > passcode must be somewhere on the computer, I was told. Connection may
    > be helped using WAP2 but not for me. I may reset entirely. I have
    > trawled for many hours and days - I have been on forums too. I have
    > read thousands of requests. There is something radically wrong with a
    > product like iPhone that so many are posting so desperately. Maybe
    > Apple and PC are at the core. I think there is a setting I have
    > missed, perhaps one little button somewhere that needs to be turned on
    > or off. There are a number of small applets in the iTunes store which
    > I can try. Yes I have read the manual. I remember a story from long
    > ago - someone was remonstrating with a techie about the charge of
    > repairs. The techie said 10% is for kicking the problem and 90% of the
    > price for knowing where to kick. This morning I phoned the Apple
    > Support line but no joy - I seem to know more than the person at the
    > other end of the phone. Maybe he was in Manilla. I have checked out
    > the modem. I have checked out xtra - there is a massive area south
    > from Taupo which is down. They can't do anything. Google has turned up
    > some helpful things. I have been on sites nearly everywhere I can
    > think of. I found a file named WiFifofum in the Applet store at
    > iTunes. I downloaded it but can't sync it to the iPhone at present.
    >
    > Where will it all end?
    >
    > nof

    Do you have a wifi access point / router ?
    If not, you should get one as that is the best way to connect,
    independent of whatever the operating system is on the PC. Set up a wpa
    encrypted wifi network and create your ssid and passphrase

    Otherwise you need to follow the instructions for setting up an ad hoc
    connection on your pc and share your internet connection through it. Set
    your ad hoc ssid and passphrase there when you make the new connection.
    Here is one of the howtos
    http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1077907

    Then go to settings/wifi on your phone, it should list the ssid you set
    up, tap it and enter the passphrase.

    If there is a previous connection in there, delete it to allow the new
    ssid / passphrase to be entered.

    victor, Dec 14, 2009