VWIC-2MFT-T1 question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ccs, Jun 17, 2004.

  1. ccs

    ccs Guest

    Hello,
    I have not used these cards before and would like to confirm my
    understanding of their configuration is correct. I want to put 3 of these in
    a 3745 to support 5 full data T1's that reach to 5 remote sites. ( hub and
    spoke network configuration ). I am not sure if I am using the channel-group
    command correctly. Here is how I was going to cnfigure the controllers:

    controller T1 0/1

    framing esf
    clock source internal
    linecode b8zs
    channel-group 1 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

    controller T1 0/2

    framing esf
    clock source internal
    linecode b8zs
    channel-group 2 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

    controller T1 0/3

    framing esf
    clock source internal
    linecode b8zs
    channel-group 3 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

    controller T1 0/4

    framing esf
    clock source internal
    linecode b8zs
    channel-group 4 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

    controller T1 0/5

    framing esf
    clock source internal
    linecode b8zs
    channel-group 5 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

    then from there I would do:

    int s0/0:1, s0/1:1, s0/2:2 and so forth for the interface configurations.

    Does this look right? All the samples I see only deal with using
    channel-group 0, and never seperate channels. Since these are all seperate
    data t1's, I would think I need to create a new channel group per t1. So is
    my config right? =) thanks. I am not able to test this config yet thats why
    I am asking here.
    ccs, Jun 17, 2004

  2. "ccs" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I have not used these cards before and would like to confirm my
    > understanding of their configuration is correct. I want to put 3 of these

    in
    > a 3745 to support 5 full data T1's that reach to 5 remote sites. ( hub and
    > spoke network configuration ). I am not sure if I am using the

    channel-group
    > command correctly. Here is how I was going to cnfigure the controllers:
    >
    > controller T1 0/1
    >
    > framing esf
    > clock source internal
    > linecode b8zs
    > channel-group 1 timeslots 1-24 speed 64
    >
    > controller T1 0/2
    >
    > framing esf
    > clock source internal
    > linecode b8zs
    > channel-group 2 timeslots 1-24 speed 64
    >
    > controller T1 0/3
    >
    > framing esf
    > clock source internal
    > linecode b8zs
    > channel-group 3 timeslots 1-24 speed 64
    >
    > controller T1 0/4
    >
    > framing esf
    > clock source internal
    > linecode b8zs
    > channel-group 4 timeslots 1-24 speed 64
    >
    > controller T1 0/5
    >
    > framing esf
    > clock source internal
    > linecode b8zs
    > channel-group 5 timeslots 1-24 speed 64
    >
    > then from there I would do:
    >
    > int s0/0:1, s0/1:1, s0/2:2 and so forth for the interface configurations.
    >
    > Does this look right? All the samples I see only deal with using
    > channel-group 0, and never seperate channels. Since these are all seperate
    > data t1's, I would think I need to create a new channel group per t1. So

    is
    > my config right? =) thanks. I am not able to test this config yet thats

    why
    > I am asking here.

    The "channel-group x" is locally significant only. I have a 3725 loaded
    with 5 of these cards and they are all using "channel-group 0 timeslot 1-24
    speed 64".

    Also, be careful with the clock source. Although there are two interfaces
    the card has only one internal clock. If you notice clocking errors with a
    "sh int Sx/x:x" command you may need to get clocking from an external source
    (either the remote router, the telco or some other piece of equipment) for
    one of the controllers.

    richard field
    Richard R. Field, Jun 17, 2004

  3. ccs

    ccs Guest

    "Richard R. Field" <> wrote in message
    > "ccs" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > > I have not used these cards before and would like to confirm my
    > > understanding of their configuration is correct. I want to put 3 of

    these
    > in
    > > a 3745 to support 5 full data T1's that reach to 5 remote sites. ( hub

    and
    > > spoke network configuration ). I am not sure if I am using the

    > channel-group
    > > command correctly. Here is how I was going to cnfigure the controllers:
    > >
    > > controller T1 0/1
    > >
    > > framing esf
    > > clock source internal
    > > linecode b8zs
    > > channel-group 1 timeslots 1-24 speed 64
    > >
    > > controller T1 0/2
    > >
    > > framing esf
    > > clock source internal
    > > linecode b8zs
    > > channel-group 2 timeslots 1-24 speed 64
    > >
    > > controller T1 0/3
    > >
    > > framing esf
    > > clock source internal
    > > linecode b8zs
    > > channel-group 3 timeslots 1-24 speed 64
    > >
    > > controller T1 0/4
    > >
    > > framing esf
    > > clock source internal
    > > linecode b8zs
    > > channel-group 4 timeslots 1-24 speed 64
    > >
    > > controller T1 0/5
    > >
    > > framing esf
    > > clock source internal
    > > linecode b8zs
    > > channel-group 5 timeslots 1-24 speed 64
    > >
    > > then from there I would do:
    > >
    > > int s0/0:1, s0/1:1, s0/2:2 and so forth for the interface

    configurations.

    > > Does this look right? All the samples I see only deal with using
    > > channel-group 0, and never seperate channels. Since these are all

    seperate
    > > data t1's, I would think I need to create a new channel group per t1. So

    > is
    > > my config right? =) thanks. I am not able to test this config yet thats

    > why
    > > I am asking here.
    > >

    > The "channel-group x" is locally significant only. I have a 3725 loaded
    > with 5 of these cards and they are all using "channel-group 0 timeslot

    1-24
    > speed 64".
    >
    > Also, be careful with the clock source. Although there are two interfaces
    > the card has only one internal clock. If you notice clocking errors with

    > "sh int Sx/x:x" command you may need to get clocking from an external

    source
    > (either the remote router, the telco or some other piece of equipment) for
    > one of the controllers.
    >
    > richard field

    Thanks for the info. I am going to use internal clocking for all of them,
    and have the remote WIC-1DSU-T1's pull clock from the line. I assume this
    will keep it consistent.

    When you say locally significant, do you mean per port? So I can have five
    totally seperate, full T1's going to 5 sites spread across the three cards
    all with Channel-group 0?
    ccs, Jun 17, 2004
  4. "ccs" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > > speed 64".
    > >
    > > Also, be careful with the clock source. Although there are two

    interfaces
    > > the card has only one internal clock. If you notice clocking errors

    with
    > > "sh int Sx/x:x" command you may need to get clocking from an external

    > source
    > > (either the remote router, the telco or some other piece of equipment)

    for
    > > one of the controllers.
    > >
    > > richard field
    > >

    > Thanks for the info. I am going to use internal clocking for all of them,
    > and have the remote WIC-1DSU-T1's pull clock from the line. I assume this
    > will keep it consistent.
    >
    > When you say locally significant, do you mean per port? So I can have five
    > totally seperate, full T1's going to 5 sites spread across the three cards

    Yeah, I meant per port, bad wording on my part. Something like this...

    controller T1 0/1
    framing esf
    linecode b8zs
    channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

    controller T1 0/2
    framing esf
    linecode b8zs
    channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

    controller T1 0/3
    framing esf
    linecode b8zs
    channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

    ....and so on...would work just fine. You will end up with s0/0:0, s0/1:0,
    s0/2:0 etc.

    Just be careful with the clocking, maybe check your interfaces after a few
    hours for an abnormal ammount of errors.
    Richard R. Field, Jun 18, 2004
  5. ccs

    > "ccs" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Richard R. Field" <> wrote in message
    > > > "ccs" <> wrote in message

    > > these
    > > > in

    hub
    > > and
    > > > channel-group

    > controllers:

    > > configurations.

    > > seperate

    t1.
    > So
    > > > is

    > thats
    > > > why
    > > > >

    > > > The "channel-group x" is locally significant only. I have a 3725

    loaded
    > > > with 5 of these cards and they are all using "channel-group 0 timeslot

    > > 1-24
    > > > speed 64".
    > > >
    > > > Also, be careful with the clock source. Although there are two

    > interfaces
    > > > the card has only one internal clock. If you notice clocking errors

    > with
    > > > "sh int Sx/x:x" command you may need to get clocking from an external

    > > source
    > > > (either the remote router, the telco or some other piece of equipment)

    > for
    > > > one of the controllers.
    > > >
    > > > richard field
    > > >

    > > Thanks for the info. I am going to use internal clocking for all of

    them,
    > > and have the remote WIC-1DSU-T1's pull clock from the line. I assume

    this
    > > will keep it consistent.
    > >
    > > When you say locally significant, do you mean per port? So I can have

    five
    > > totally seperate, full T1's going to 5 sites spread across the three

    cards
    > > all with Channel-group 0?
    > >

    > Yeah, I meant per port, bad wording on my part. Something like this...
    >
    > controller T1 0/1
    > framing esf
    > linecode b8zs
    > channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24 speed 64
    >
    > controller T1 0/2
    > framing esf
    > linecode b8zs
    > channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24 speed 64
    >
    > controller T1 0/3
    > framing esf
    > linecode b8zs
    > channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24 speed 64
    >
    > ...and so on...would work just fine. You will end up with s0/0:0, s0/1:0,
    > s0/2:0 etc.
    >
    > Just be careful with the clocking, maybe check your interfaces after a few
    > hours for an abnormal ammount of errors.

    Thanks a lot Richard.
    ccs, Jun 18, 2004
  6. ccs

    MC Guest

    Only one physical port on a card is supported when using multiple channel
    groups.

    This is because the WIC slot only supports two serial interafce channels
    total, either two channel groups on one port on a two port card (other port
    not configured) or one channel group using both ports active. you would use
    two channel groups say if using part of the T1 for one service and part of
    the T1 for another.

    If you are using all channels on each T1 for the same service (or at lease
    one service on a fractional T1, other channels not used), then assign all
    controllers for all cards into the same channel group.

    MC, Jun 29, 2004