    Sherman H. Guest

    I am planning to use Nessus to scan our DMZ. Should I also scan the router
    and firewall?
    Sherman H., Nov 18, 2004

  2. Sherman H.

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I am planning to use Nessus to scan our DMZ. Should I also scan the router
    > and firewall?

    From either side you scan everything to get the report, then you need to
    determine what the results mean.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Nov 18, 2004

  3. Sherman H.

    Richard Guest

    "Sherman H." <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am planning to use Nessus to scan our DMZ. Should I also scan the router
    > and firewall?

    Yes. If your firewall is vulnerable, then your entire network is at risk.

    --
    Visit my computer security and privacy website:
    http://computer-security.no-ip.info
    Richard, Nov 25, 2004
  4. Sherman H. wrote:

    > I am planning to use Nessus to scan our DMZ. Should I also scan the
    > router and firewall?

    Scan Everything! Scan from the outside/inside/firewalls/router/switches that
    are IP accessible.

    A few months I go I did a scan for a company. The admin had totally forgot
    that the siwtch in the DMZ had and IP address (and also did not have a
    password assigned!)

    So anyway, do a blacket scan on all the subnets that make up you DMZs as
    well as the outside interface(s) on your Internet router(s)...

    -- Michael
    Michael J. Pelletier, Dec 5, 2004