    Does anyone have any good links to vulnerabilities in encryption algorithms?
    From my preliminary research, cracking encryption seems pretty unlikely with
    the use of a standard computer. Another question is the issue of gaining
    unauthorised access, once again, to a computer through whatever means
    possible ie. vulnerabilities, trojans etc.. If anyone has any great links
    it would be greatly appreciated. I am a Computer Science Student that has
    to write an essay about "Ilegally" accessing encrypted data and was
    wandering what people think.

    Thanks

    Jon

    Jon, Mar 17, 2005

  2. Jon

    winged Guest

    Jon wrote:
    > Hi people,
    >
    > Does anyone have any good links to vulnerabilities in encryption algorithms?
    > From my preliminary research, cracking encryption seems pretty unlikely with
    > the use of a standard computer. Another question is the issue of gaining
    > unauthorised access, once again, to a computer through whatever means
    > possible ie. vulnerabilities, trojans etc.. If anyone has any great links
    > it would be greatly appreciated. I am a Computer Science Student that has
    > to write an essay about "Ilegally" accessing encrypted data and was
    > wandering what people think.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jon

    Actually http://cve.mitre.org/ usually has the latest on known
    vulnerabilities on software. Often they have working exploits that can
    be examined.

    Tools that exploit those vulnerabilities move around a bit but you can
    usually google for them. Of course note that downloading/using those
    tools may put you at more risk than those you wish to exploit, I mean a
    hacked computer is a hacked computer right? Typically the best current
    working tools are kept in close hold communities. The best tools are
    those you write yourself, then you know what you got.

    The crypto newsgroup probably has the best information on cryptographic
    tools, though if someone is employing best practices it is probably best
    to own the remote box and get the keys or wait for the keys to be
    delivered on demand depending on implementation. Physical access to the
    device is usually the easiest to accomplish. Often this may be
    accompanied by incarceration when caught.

    Winged

    winged, Mar 17, 2005