    at my local Starbucks and connecting to their unsecured unencrypted public WiFi?

    THANKS!!!

    Toni

    Toni, Feb 25, 2009

  2. Toni

    Barb Bowman Guest

    I wrote this a long time ago, but it still applies
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/wifizone/ar...bolster-wireless-security-away-from-home.aspx

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Feb 25, 2009

  3. To add to Barb's advice in her article see the last part of this page for
    much the same guidance concerning the Windows Firewall and Vista location
    awareness.

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/SoHoWirelessSecurity.html

    Additionally if your ISP does not offer SSL protected POP3/SMTP or web mail
    see this recent thread concerning the use of Gmail SSL protected POP3/SMTP
    email to fetch/send email using your personal ISP email address.

    http://tinyurl.com/b4gskd

    Lastly you really are safest sending/receiving email while on untrusted
    networks if you encrypt email. You can use free [for personal use]
    certificates from providers like Thawte or Comodo or other similar companies.

    https://www.thawte.com/secure-email/personal-email-certificates/index.html
    http://www.comodo.com/products/certificate_services/email_certificate.html

    You could also use PGP or GnuPG [gpg4win] to encrypt and/or sign email.

    Personally I have free email certs from Thawte for two of my personal email
    accounts [Cox and Gmail] and I use GnuPG [gpg4win] for one of my personal
    accounts [Cox] depending on who I am corresponding with via email what they
    like to use.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Feb 25, 2009