    Trouble Guest

    If you have two diffrent VTP domains in your network running
    transparent mode what happendes and will you can do and can not do???

    Trouble, Feb 1, 2006

  2. Trouble

    Kevin Widner Guest

    >If you have two diffrent VTP domains in your network running
    >transparent mode what happendes and will you can do and can not do???

    If its in transparent mode, then nothing happens, and you can do
    whatever you want!

    Transparent mode effectively turns off VTP, and the switch is then only
    concerned with its local vlan database.

    Kevin Widner, Feb 1, 2006

  3. Trouble

    BernieM Guest

    BernieM, Feb 2, 2006
  4. Trouble

    Kevin Widner Guest

    >A DTP trunk will not come up between two switches that have different VTP
    >domains ...

    Since switches in transparent mode do not advertise their VTP domains
    (or any VTP information), I fail to see how this works. I don't think
    this applies to switches in transparent mode. Have you tested this?

    -kw

    Kevin Widner, Feb 2, 2006
  5. Trouble

    BernieM Guest

    "Kevin Widner" <> wrote in message
    > >A DTP trunk will not come up between two switches that have different VTP
    >>domains ...

    > Since switches in transparent mode do not advertise their VTP domains
    > (or any VTP information), I fail to see how this works. I don't think
    > this applies to switches in transparent mode. Have you tested this?
    >
    > -kw

    In this case it's not VTP that exchanging domain name information, it's DTP.
    As the article says ...

    "Dynamic Trunk Protocol (DTP) sends the VTP domain name in a DTP packet.
    Therefore, if you have two ends of a link that belong to different VTP
    domains, then the trunk does not come up if you use DTP. In this special
    case, you need to configure the trunk mode as on or nonegotiate, on both
    sides, to allow the trunk to come up without DTP negotiation agreement.."

    Have I tested this? Yes. I found out the hard way, in production ...
    luckilly the change was being done after hours and the switch at the other
    end of the dark fibre link was only 2 Klms away ;-)

    BernieM.

    BernieM, Feb 2, 2006
  6. Trouble

    Kevin Widner Guest

    >Have I tested this? Yes. I found out the hard way, in production ...
    >luckilly the change was being done after hours and the switch at the other
    >end of the dark fibre link was only 2 Klms away ;-)

    >BernieM.

    Cool thanks. I never use DTP, so I don't know alot about it. I always
    hard configure my trunks and turn the rest of the ports to "off". To
    have DTP act in this way is absurd in my opinion. I can see the benefit
    in protecting your vlans if you use VTP, but if both sides are
    transparent anyway, what's the point?

    Kevin Widner, Feb 2, 2006