VTP across routers

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Thomas75, Mar 7, 2008.

  1. Thomas75

    Thomas75 Guest

    Hi. I'm new to Cisco and just wondering how VTP would work across
    multiple router.

    I've been using one 2950 switch and 2621 router to play with VLAN and
    inter VLAN router
    I've been using one 2621 FA0/0 and did make a subinterfaces for each
    VLANs and designated one
    switchport to funtion as trunk.

    All I did configured correctly. but just curious as how would VTP
    would work across
    multiple router? would I need to use high end ley 3 switch to make
    that work?
    or 2621 would suffice. If so, how would I go about configuring it so
    that fast ethernet port
    would carry VLAN traffic.

    I hope somebody could help me please.

    thanks in advance.

    -Thomas

    Thomas75, Mar 7, 2008

  2. Thomas75

    Merv Guest

    Merv, Mar 7, 2008

  3. Exactly - VTP would have to be tunneled across a layer-4 boundary somehow.

    Why would you want VTP to cross a router anyway? I can't see that makes
    any sense at all really, unless you want to confuse yourself by having
    the same VLAN tags on either side of a router.

    Andrew

    Andrew Mulheirn, Mar 26, 2008