    And yes, in this case iLBC is an absolute requirement.

    Cheers

    , Jan 11, 2006

  2. Paul Cummins Guest

    In article <>,
    () wrote:

    > Gossiptel charges 15p/10p/6p but doesn't seem to support iLBC.

    And they are spammers too...

    --
    Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
    Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

    Paul Cummins, Jan 11, 2006

  3. paul123 Guest

    If you get the voiptalk silver package, it's 10, 8 and 5ppm to most
    mobile networks.

    downside - cost is 2.99 per month
    upside - they give you an incoming geo number with it

    Paul

    paul123, Jan 11, 2006
  4. Guest

    I don't have a need for a geographical number and would prefer not to
    have a monthly fee.

    Any other suggestions?

    , Jan 11, 2006
  5. Guest

    Have you looked at the Draytel service? You can get the 10p/8p/5p
    mobile rates by just purchasing £10 call credit and it doesn't look
    like there's any monthly fees. www.draytel.org.

    wrote:
    > I don't have a need for a geographical number and would prefer not to
    > have a monthly fee.
    >
    > Any other suggestions?

    , Jan 11, 2006
  6. Guest

    wrote:
    > Have you looked at the Draytel service? You can get the 10p/8p/5p
    > mobile rates by just purchasing £10 call credit and it doesn't look
    > like there's any monthly fees. www.draytel.org.

    It's £20 call credit but it seems to be what I'm looking for.

    Cheers.

    , Jan 11, 2006
  7. Martin² Guest

    Unobtrusive,
    can I ask why do you need iLBC ?
    Regards,
    martin

    Martin², Jan 12, 2006
  8. Guest

    ADSL line that can only receive ~38 packets per second.

    iLBC @ 30ms frame size is ~33 pps, everything else is ~50pps.

    , Jan 12, 2006
  9. Tim Bray Guest

    wrote:
    > ADSL line that can only receive ~38 packets per second.
    >
    > iLBC @ 30ms frame size is ~33 pps, everything else is ~50pps.

    Is that the line, or the router/firewall on the end of it?

    I'm sure G.711 with 60ms packets will have fewer packets than that, so
    you might not be limited to iLBC.

    The only times I've had pps problems are when running things over VPNs
    and also on Spanish ADSL lines.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Jan 12, 2006
  10. Guest

    Tim Bray wrote:

    > > ADSL line that can only receive ~38 packets per second.
    > >
    > > iLBC @ 30ms frame size is ~33 pps, everything else is ~50pps.

    > Is that the line, or the router/firewall on the end of it?

    The telco has enforced a packet rate limiting policy during heavy
    congestion periods.

    > I'm sure G.711 with 60ms packets will have fewer packets than that, so
    > you might not be limited to iLBC.

    Yes it uses 16.7pps but all providers default to 20ms and I don't think
    they are going to change it just for me! iLBC defaults to 30ms and just
    works.

    , Jan 12, 2006
  11. Tim Bray Guest

    wrote:

    > The telco has enforced a packet rate limiting policy during heavy
    > congestion periods.

    Ouch.

    Remind me not to move to Greece.

    > Yes it uses 16.7pps but all providers default to 20ms and I don't think
    > they are going to change it just for me! iLBC defaults to 30ms and just
    > works.

    It is a shame the SDP can't give a hint to the other end.

    iLBC is something I ask hardware manufacturers about. In most cases it
    can't be supported by the DSPs, and there is not enough processing power
    in the general purpose processor.

    Easy on a PC, hard on embedded.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Jan 12, 2006
  12. David Knell Guest

    > > > ADSL line that can only receive ~38 packets per second.
    > > > iLBC @ 30ms frame size is ~33 pps, everything else is ~50pps.

    > > Is that the line, or the router/firewall on the end of it?

    > The telco has enforced a packet rate limiting policy during heavy
    > congestion periods.

    Which telco? Be jolly interested to know.

    Thanks --

    Dave

    David Knell, Jan 12, 2006
  13. Guest

    Grandstream phones seem to support ilbc. I use gsm or g729 across my
    adsl connection.

    David Knell wrote:
    > > > Is that the line, or the router/firewall on the end of it?

    > > The telco has enforced a packet rate limiting policy during heavy
    > > congestion periods.

    > Which telco? Be jolly interested to know.
    >
    > Thanks --
    >
    > Dave

    , Jan 12, 2006
  14. Martin² Guest

    Unobtrusive:
    >but all providers default to 20ms

    Some routers e.g Draytek lets you set the packets size from 10 to 60ms (in
    steps of ten).
    HTH
    Regards
    Martin

    Martin², Jan 13, 2006
  15. Guest

    Martin² wrote:
    > Unobtrusive:
    > >but all providers default to 20ms

    > Some routers e.g Draytek lets you set the packets size from 10 to 60ms (in
    > steps of ten).

    True but you'll still receive 20ms packets back. Been there, tried that
    ;-)

    , Jan 13, 2006
  16. Guest

    OTE in Greece. (Similar to BT)

    , Jan 13, 2006
  17. On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:43:51 +0000, Tim Bray <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> The telco has enforced a packet rate limiting policy during heavy
    >> congestion periods.

    >Ouch.
    >
    >Remind me not to move to Greece.
    >
    >> Yes it uses 16.7pps but all providers default to 20ms and I don't think
    >> they are going to change it just for me! iLBC defaults to 30ms and just
    >> works.

    >It is a shame the SDP can't give a hint to the other end.

    Could you use maxprate? (RFC3890)

    Darren J Longhorn, Jan 13, 2006