    ======================
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 13, 2005

  2. Charlie Russel - MVP

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    > I'll be a bit light on the NG for the next couple of days. Building up my
    > new laptop. All the Acer drivers look good, no problems so far. I started
    > by installing Acronis partition thing in the 32-bit XP and shrinking down
    > the C: partition to 12 Gb. It's only there for the few things that I might
    > have to do that aren't supported in x64 or LH yet. Grabbed an image of it
    > so I can restore if I need to. Then let the install repartition the rest
    > of the drive -- D: is x64 Edition, E: will be LH64, and F: is my data
    > drive.
    >
    > First configuration issue was to copy the Ferrari.wav over to the D: so my
    > startup sound is there. Note also that neither the wireless nor the LAN
    > have drivers in the OS, so you need to make sure you have the drivers
    > ahead of time -- you won't be able to connect to anything until you get
    > them loaded.
    >
    > --
    > Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    > ======================
    > Charlie.
    > http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    I was lusting after the Acer Ferrari until I saw the models based upon the
    new ML-38 Turion64. Now these are notebooks that truly *ROCK*.

    Bobby
    NoNoBadDog!, Aug 13, 2005

  3. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Guest

    > I was lusting after the Acer Ferrari until I saw the models based upon
    > the new ML-38 Turion64. Now these are notebooks that truly *ROCK*.

    Link please, I want to drool!

    Niels
    , Aug 13, 2005
  4. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Barb Bowman Guest

    there are only a few critical programs I have that require me to boot
    into 32 bit windows. i've got this neat 5.8 Uniden home cordless phone
    that lets you update the phone book it stores via USB. And my cell
    phone datakit package via USB. And being able to print 4800 x 1200
    photo quality on my Photosmart 7550. It's really a lack of drivers
    that forces me to keep 32 bit windows around. XP 64 is great for
    photoshop, but to print the highest quality, I have to use 32 bit
    windows.

    and remember, you're vr00000m2, I'm vr00000m1 ;-)

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:16:12 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    > I'll be a bit light on the NG for the next couple of days. Building up my
    >new laptop. All the Acer drivers look good, no problems so far. I started by
    >installing Acronis partition thing in the 32-bit XP and shrinking down the C:
    >partition to 12 Gb. It's only there for the few things that I might have to
    >do that aren't supported in x64 or LH yet. Grabbed an image of it so I can
    >restore if I need to. Then let the install repartition the rest of the
    >drive -- D: is x64 Edition, E: will be LH64, and F: is my data drive.
    >
    >First configuration issue was to copy the Ferrari.wav over to the D: so my
    >startup sound is there. Note also that neither the wireless nor the LAN have
    >drivers in the OS, so you need to make sure you have the drivers ahead of
    >time -- you won't be able to connect to anything until you get them loaded.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone Columnist
    http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/
    Barb Bowman, Aug 13, 2005
  5. On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 06:16:12 +0100, Charlie Russel - MVP
    <> wrote:

    > First configuration issue was to copy the Ferrari.wav over to the D: so
    > my startup sound is there.

    Ahh, the sign of a true geek.... :)
    Mark Gillespie, Aug 13, 2005
  6. You bet. Got to have my priorities straight. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 13, 2005
  7. When you get tired of driving it Charlie, you can send it to me for a tune
    up. ;-)
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 13, 2005
  8. Hello,
    I have to admit, copying over the Ferrari.wav was one of the first things
    that I did after install Windows Xp X64 Edition.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Subject: Re: <vrrROOOOOOOommmm>
    <Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 06:34:38 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <You bet. Got to have my priorities straight. ;)
    <
    <--
    <Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    <======================
    <Mark Gillespie wrote:
    <> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 06:16:12 +0100, Charlie Russel - MVP
    <> <> wrote:
    <>
    <>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Aug 13, 2005
  9. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Barb Bowman Guest

    I knew Charlie would make the ferrari.wav his first priority. I know
    he's been listening to that wav file for a few weeks prior to actually
    receiving the 4000.

    (I copied that wav file over to the x64 partition as a priority too!)

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Aug 13, 2005
  10. Yup. :D

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 13, 2005
  11. Sure. No problem. Should be in about 3-4 years. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 13, 2005
  12. You got a deal, but try not to use it too much. ;)

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 14, 2005
  13. Ferrari makes some nice looking vehicles but remember that Italian cars were
    always one step below the British cars when it came to reliability...and the
    Jaguars were usually sitting with the hood up for weeks at a time.

    One memorable Italian sports car was the Fiat:

    Fix
    It
    Again
    Tony

    Get a Ford GT and then you'll have something with bragging rights...
    Venus Ventura [Retracted], Aug 14, 2005
  14. Ford GT makes laptops?

    Actually, if we were talking cars (and we weren't), I already have the best
    car I could ever have -- a Honda S2000 in silverstone with black interior.
    Number 360th ever made and has about 75k klicks on it. I expect to have that
    car till long after I'm too feeble and blind to drive it. 9000 rpm red line,
    and when the vtec kicks in at about 6200 rpm, you'll never touch the dash.

    But we were talking laptops, and the Acer Ferrari is a sweet laptop. I
    haven't always been a fan of Acer products, they went through a rough patch.
    But this is extremely well built and a joy to use. And the carbon fibre is
    just too cool.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 14, 2005
  15. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Mike Guest

    wrote:
    >> I was lusting after the Acer Ferrari until I saw the models based upon
    >> the new ML-38 Turion64. Now these are notebooks that truly *ROCK*.

    > Link please, I want to drool!
    >
    > Niels

    Can anyone share the Ferrari.wav as I've never heard it, would like to
    know what all the fuss is about

    Mike
    Mike, Aug 14, 2005
  16. Congratulations, Charlie. It must be like X-mas for you, there. Personally,
    I went for a bargain. Got me a HP zv5000. AMD64 3400+; 1G Ram; 100G HD; 64M
    nVidia; 15,4" Screen; While prizes don't compare well, I got that for 10%
    less than the average bargain of AMD64 3200+; 256 - 512M Ram; 40 - 60G HD,
    and 32 - 128M Graphics (Mostly ATI, I think); 15" Screen. You know. . .but
    how would you compare the raw performance? After all, they all have the same
    basic equipment - there's only so much shuffling you can do with the
    available 'stack of cards' and some do shuffle better than others.

    So, how much of the cost-overhead would you label as 'qualified shuffling'
    and how much as 'smart-ass equipment'? And, no offense! We, all envy you.
    Or, I most certainly do. In short, I am quite happy with the HP - only real
    worry is the flimsy CD drawer, that gives me night-mares.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 14, 2005
  17. Barb Bowman wrote:

    >there are only a few critical programs I have that require me to boot
    >into 32 bit windows. i've got this neat 5.8 Uniden home cordless phone
    >that lets you update the phone book it stores via USB. And my cell
    >phone datakit package via USB. And being able to print 4800 x 1200
    >photo quality on my Photosmart 7550. It's really a lack of drivers
    >that forces me to keep 32 bit windows around. XP 64 is great for
    >photoshop, but to print the highest quality, I have to use 32 bit
    >windows.
    >
    >and remember, you're vr00000m2, I'm vr00000m1 ;-)

    I'm vr00000m0 then, am I ? <g>

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Aug 14, 2005
  18. Well, a lot of it is in the little things. A drawerless DVD that is r/w in
    every format I can think of. No drawer is definitely better, IMO. Built in
    bluetooth that works OOB, even in x64. A keyboard that is actually useable.
    A screen that is as good as any I've ever seen on a laptop. And just overall
    well built and thought out. I'd have to say you're paying some for the cool
    factor, but mostly you're paying for them not cutting the corners anywhere I
    can see so far. IOW, a well done job all around.

    Tony Sperling wrote:
    > Congratulations, Charlie. It must be like X-mas for you, there.
    > Personally, I went for a bargain. Got me a HP zv5000. AMD64 3400+; 1G
    > Ram; 100G HD; 64M nVidia; 15,4" Screen; While prizes don't compare
    > well, I got that for 10% less than the average bargain of AMD64
    > 3200+; 256 - 512M Ram; 40 - 60G HD, and 32 - 128M Graphics (Mostly
    > ATI, I think); 15" Screen. You know. . .but how would you compare the
    > raw performance? After all, they all have the same basic equipment -
    > there's only so much shuffling you can do with the available 'stack
    > of cards' and some do shuffle better than others.
    >
    > So, how much of the cost-overhead would you label as 'qualified
    > shuffling' and how much as 'smart-ass equipment'? And, no offense!
    > We, all envy you. Or, I most certainly do. In short, I am quite happy
    > with the HP - only real worry is the flimsy CD drawer, that gives me
    > night-mares.
    >
    > Tony. . .
    >

    > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> Ford GT makes laptops?
    >>
    >> Actually, if we were talking cars (and we weren't), I already have
    >> the best car I could ever have -- a Honda S2000 in silverstone with
    >> black interior. Number 360th ever made and has about 75k klicks on
    >> it. I expect to have that car till long after I'm too feeble and
    >> blind to drive it. 9000 rpm red line, and when the vtec kicks in at
    >> about 6200 rpm, you'll never touch the dash.
    >>
    >> But we were talking laptops, and the Acer Ferrari is a sweet laptop.
    >> I haven't always been a fan of Acer products, they went through a
    >> rough patch. But this is extremely well built and a joy to use. And
    >> the carbon fibre is just too cool.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    >> ======================
    >> Charlie.
    >> http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
    >>

    >> Venus Ventura [Retracted] wrote:
    >>> Ferrari makes some nice looking vehicles but remember that Italian
    >>> cars were always one step below the British cars when it came to
    >>> reliability...and the Jaguars were usually sitting with the hood up
    >>> for weeks at a time.
    >>> One memorable Italian sports car was the Fiat:
    >>>
    >>> Fix
    >>> It
    >>> Again

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 14, 2005
  19. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Maybe... <G> When did you get yours?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Aug 14, 2005
  20. OK, Charlie, apology accepted.

    The best vehicle Honda has ever made was the 305, around 1968.

    I hope the Acer "Ferrari" is American made.
    Sadly, however, I doubt your Honda car is.
    Venus Ventura [Retracted], Aug 14, 2005