    - Do you think that this could be the solution ??
    - Do you think that I need that I need absolutely separate the 2* ADSL ?
    ( Voice + Data )
    Steve, Aug 18, 2008

  2. Steve

    Tim Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a normal ADSL, I would say with upstream ~ 440kb/s

    Are you sure about the upstream? Have you looked at the router?

    If this is the ATM speed, then you will get less IP bandwidth.

    > The point is that I have to limit the upstream of all my machines, in
    > order to get something with good quality Audio.

    I presume you mean PCs ?

    What kind of traffic are they running?

    > - Do you think that I need that I need absolutely separate the 2* ADSL ?
    > ( Voice + Data )

    No, but if you don't then you will need some decent upstream traffic
    shaping.

    In our office we have 7 VoIP phone users and 7 PCs all on one ADSL line
    with a CTX1000 traffic shaper. It all works fine.

    Tim
    Tim, Aug 18, 2008

  3. Steve

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:53:57 +0100, Tim <> wrote:

    >Steve wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've got a normal ADSL, I would say with upstream ~ 440kb/s

    >Are you sure about the upstream? Have you looked at the router?
    >
    >If this is the ATM speed, then you will get less IP bandwidth.
    >

    >> The point is that I have to limit the upstream of all my machines, in
    >> order to get something with good quality Audio.

    >I presume you mean PCs ?
    >
    >What kind of traffic are they running?
    >
    >> - Do you think that I need that I need absolutely separate the 2* ADSL ?
    >> ( Voice + Data )

    >No, but if you don't then you will need some decent upstream traffic
    >shaping.
    >
    >In our office we have 7 VoIP phone users and 7 PCs all on one ADSL line
    >with a CTX1000 traffic shaper. It all works fine.

    The CTX1000 seems to be very expensive for what it does (circa £360).
    How is it so much better than, for example, the D-Link DI-102 at a
    fraction of the price (circa £50)?
    I assume that it is much better considering it is more than seven
    times the price.

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---
    Brian A, Aug 18, 2008
  4. Steve

    Tim Guest

    Brian A wrote:

    > The CTX1000 seems to be very expensive for what it does (circa £360).
    > How is it so much better than, for example, the D-Link DI-102 at a
    > fraction of the price (circa £50)?

    I've not tested the D-link.

    But in comparison to other devices around:

    1) CTX-1000 will cope with 10 Meg throughput in both directions no problem
    2) The shaping is fully dynamic. With no VoIP, then downloads and such
    run at full speed

    3) The SIP ALG in the CTX-1000 is completely passive. It doesn't screw
    up call transfers or cause any of the other problems associated with
    active ALG.

    3) It just works.

    (and the reason I like it so much)

    4) I heavily influenced the design of the device.

    5) It doesn't rely on setting the packet size really really small, which
    limits normal throughput.

    Tim
    Tim, Aug 18, 2008
  5. Steve

    Steven Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a normal ADSL, I would say with upstream ~ 440kb/s
    >
    > The point is that I have to limit the upstream of all my machines, in
    > order to get something with good quality Audio.
    >
    > now, even allocating more than 50% of the Bandwitgh, I still have some
    > glitch in the phone. ( test with one phone only)
    >
    > i can't believe that the problem could be from the DSL ??
    >
    > I know that some company have 2 different ADSL, sometimes, 2 ADSL + VPN
    > - Do you think that locally, we need to use a VPN ?
    > - Do you think that this could be the solution ??
    > - Do you think that I need that I need absolutely separate the 2* ADSL ?
    > ( Voice + Data )

    Try this on your PC
    http://www.cfos.de/speed/cfosspeed_e.htm

    It really does work.

    Steve
    Steven, Aug 21, 2008
  6. Steve

    Tim Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > you said that you have CTX, which works fine with 7 Voip phones...
    > Do you have to limit the bandwidth for your computer ? or the system
    > can reduce the Upstream dynamically in order to let high priority for
    > your phone calls ?

    Dynamic.

    Also, as well as upstream (which is hard shaped), the CTX does
    downstream rate limiting on TCP sessions as well. Works well.

    Tim
    Tim, Aug 28, 2008