    know why).

    my question: has anyone found or developed a workaround, or, better, had
    success installing the checkpoint (or other) vpn software?
    kevin, Mar 30, 2006

  2. kevin

    kevin Guest

    um, oops. should have noted i'm running a compaq presario r3240us with amd
    athlon 64 3200 (798 mhz) processor, 512 mb memory and 60 gb hard drive. and,
    of course, xp pro 64-bit (with no dual boot).

    kevin, Mar 30, 2006

  3. Unfortunately no, VPN software has been non-existent on Windows XP
    Professional x64 so far. The best recommendation is to contact and request
    developers of VPN client software compatible with x86 Windows to support x64
    XP, its the only start at the moment. Try finding out if support is a part
    of their development strategy, its possible that they might be holding out
    for Windows Vista x64.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 30, 2006
  4. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    > Unfortunately no, VPN software has been non-existent on Windows XP
    > Professional x64 so far.

    What about OpenSsh? I am sure it runs on x64, and it has a new VPN
    feature. But I am not sure that the connector to the x64 networking
    system is ready yet.

    Thomas
    Thomas Steffen, Mar 30, 2006
  5. Don't know about that, tell me some more about it. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 31, 2006
  6. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    > Don't know about that, tell me some more about it. :)

    Well, OpenSSH is written for UNIX, and it uses a TUN interface to
    connect to the networking system and create a VPN tunnel. While OpenSSH
    also runs on Windows (under Cygwin), there seems to be no TUN
    equivalent, and therefore no tunneling.

    But I did find a similar project: OpenVPN (http://openvpn.net/). They
    use a TAP style interface, and it seems they got it working on x64. See
    http://www.vpnforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=977 . I didn't have any look
    connecting to the server, though, so maybe the file is lost.

    If only Windows would offer a TUN or TAP style network interface, thing
    could be a lot easier (and yes, I know they decided against it).

    Thomas
    Thomas Steffen, Mar 31, 2006
  7. OpenVPN works with the 64-bit tap drivers
    google it up

    --
    Mike Gleason jr Couturier
    http://mgjc.no-ip.org/

    Mike Gleason jr Couturier, Apr 4, 2006
  8. kevin

    kevin Guest

    mike:

    thanks. i've googled, and now i'll give it a try. i also downloaded the
    openvpn gui, so i'll give that a go, too.

    kevin

    kevin, Apr 4, 2006