    pertaining to these would be useful.

    TIA

    Phil

    TheScullster, Mar 12, 2007

  2. "TheScullster" wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > Let me start by saying I have no knowledge of wireless and associated
    > speed/issues.
    > The spectre of VPN access into our network is looming.
    > So the question is...do the generally available hotel and cafe wireless
    > access points provide adequate speed and stability for a decent VPN
    > experience?

    The short answer is no. Not all hotspots are suitable for VPN yet -
    but as you wrote, the spectre is looming and the trend is
    that more of them become compatible.
    Fortunately, there are services like www.ipass.com that take
    these chores and give your users simple standard access to
    your company VPN server.

    > Are there any other issues/influences (other than laptop spec of course)
    > that will influence this?

    The hotspot provider may or may not open the ports nesessary for VPN working.

    > I have a number of users who travel extensively, our growing market place is
    > Russia and former soviet countries, so any information specifically
    > pertaining to these would be useful.

    Depends very much on where exactly they travel. On most of that territory,
    expect only dialup connectivity. Wi-fi is available only in biggest cities
    (again, integrators like ipass.com provide the dialup option as well)

    Regards,
    --PA

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Mar 12, 2007