VPN over wifi woes

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by S W, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. S W

    S W Guest

    Hi,

    I'd be grateful for any help with the following problem:

    I want to connect to my work domain from my wireless network at home.
    I'm using a laptop on XP SP1 with a PCMCIA 3Com wireless card. The
    Wireless network is encrypted. Windows is set to manage my wireless
    networking. This all works fine for basic stuff, other PCs on the
    network (wired or wireless) can use the Internet no problem.

    What I want to do is log on to my work domain using dial-up networking.
    The domain I'm logging on to is an NT domain, but the RAS server is
    running Windows 2000 server.

    What happens is that during the log on process, I am authenticated onto
    the domain, but then the wireless network connection appears to be
    dropped for a second or two (the connection light on the 3com card
    flashes and then goes steady again). Of course while the wireless
    network is dropped the VPN is disconnected. I then have to reconnect the
    VPN, but by then its too late, the logon script hasn't run, my offline
    files haven't synchronised, etc. All works OK if I logon using dial-up
    networking if I connect using a cat5 cable, so its definitely a wireless
    problem.

    I don't recall having this problem when the wireless network was
    unencrypted, though I could be wrong.

    Is there something I can do to get the laptop to stay connected to the
    wireless network during the domain logon process?

    My event viewer just states that the VPN was disconnected. No errors.

    Regards,

    SW

    Please note: I also posted this message on
    microsoft.public.windows.server.networking
    before I found this group. Apologies if that is a breach of usenet
    etiquette!!
    S W, Jan 8, 2006