    Do i need some additional tools for that or is this impossible?

    Thanks in advance,
    Otto

    Otto, Jul 18, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    Otto <> wrote:
    :For internet i have to connect to our server at my place via VPN.
    :--everything is fine --

    :And now my question:

    :Is it possible to connect to an server in the internet via VPN too?
    :Do i need some additional tools for that or is this impossible?

    VPN is a general term that includes a variety of different
    ways of encapsulating data.

    Standard IPSec tunnels require using the AH and/or ESP protocols,
    which are NOT IP protocols. Some of the common alternatives to
    IPSec, such as PPTP, use GRE, which again is not an IP protocol.

    Not all VPN devices are able to encapsulate non-IP protocols
    to send them over the VPN -- so you might not be able to
    send the AH, ESP, or GRE packets through the VPN tunnel in
    order to have them decapsulated by your server at work in order
    to have them passed on to the remote system. On the other hand,
    some VPN devices should handle this with no problem: you did not
    indicate what you are using.

    There -are- some officially supported ways to do what you want,
    if you have the right software/hardware at both sides. I am a bit
    uncertain about the details, though, so I will not say exactly
    what has to be done.
    --
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics."
    -- not Twain, perhaps Disraeli, first quoted by Leonard Courtney

    Walter Roberson, Jul 18, 2003