VPN core to FVS318 endpoints

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by beckteck, Aug 28, 2006.

  1. beckteck

    beckteck Guest

    I am currently looking for recommendations on a cost effective measure
    to connect 20 or so static IP endpoints currently utilizing FVS318s
    (IPSec 3DES) to a central location. These are primarily used for
    Remote Desktop (Sybase based application) connections and inventory
    purposes (page counters on printers). In the future we are possible
    looking at co-locating the majority of our resources inside a
    communications center in Sacramento so I do not want to get in over my
    head with equipment that may not have a practical use down the road.
    We have tried the FVL328 as its spec sheet looked like what we were
    after from a cost vs. future integration standpoint due largely to our
    happiness with the endpoint FVS318 connections currently in place.
    Talk about a nightmare of a product! I have looked at several
    instances of poor reviews of Netscreen appliances connecting to the
    318s and SonicWalls as well. Usage of the FVS318 endpoints currently
    in place is highly desired. This doesn't need to be a "cheap" venture
    but it does need to have practical usage down the road and reasonable
    for the current application. I have general CISCO admin experience but
    no CISCO VPN setup experience (I pickup from books quickly and can
    research if this is a valid solution). In regards to long term goals,
    we will be moving away from our current "hosted" VoIP service and
    moving towards a CCM/SRST architecture eventually with Active
    Directory/Exchange based Unity Messaging. We are in the Real Estate
    business and capital expenditures, while not non-existent, are studied
    more right now than they may be 3 years from now. Thanks in advance
    for any information! I feel at this point that I need to make a move
    and stop scattering my research.
    beckteck, Aug 28, 2006

  2. Hi Eric,

    You may also wish to investigate the Cisco Systems Virtual Private
    Network Forums:

    VPN Network Design

    http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servl...d=display_messages&mode=new&location=.ee6b93a

    VPN Network Management

    http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servl...d=display_messages&mode=new&location=.ee6b2ba

    VPN IPSec and Firewalling

    http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servl...d=display_messages&mode=new&location=.ee6b2b8

    VPN Traffic Prioritization, QoS, and Bandwidth Congestion Management

    http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servl...d=display_messages&mode=new&location=.ee6bd84

    As well as Tek-Tips Virtual Private Networks (VPN) Forum:

    http://www.tek-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=463

    and comp.dcom.vpn

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.dcom.vpn

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    Cisco IOS Software - Compatible Partner Matrix by Technology
    http://www.BradReese.Com
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    AIM: R2MGrant
    BradReese.Com - Global Cisco Systems Pre-Sales Support
    http://www.bradreese.com/contact-us.htm#CISCO
    www.BradReese.Com, Aug 29, 2006