vpn client on Linux machines with e1000 NIC

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Mogens Kjaer, Dec 13, 2006.

  1. Mogens Kjaer

    Mogens Kjaer Guest

    I've installed the vpn client:

    vpnclient-linux-x86_64-4.8.00.0490-k9.tar.gz

    on several Linux machines without any problems.

    However, if the machine has an Intel NIC (e1000 driver), it doesn't
    work. The tunnel is established, I can ping through
    the tunnel, but nothing comes back.

    On the same machine, it works in Windows 2000.

    On the same machine, it works using the opensource
    vpnc client in Linux.

    I would rather not use the open source vpn client as the performance
    is not as good as the cisco client.

    Any suggestions what to look for? I've tried to reduce
    the MTU on the client, but this makes no difference.

    Mogens
    Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
    Email: Homepage: http://www.crc.dk
    Mogens Kjaer, Dec 13, 2006

  2. Mogens Kjaer

    Mogens Kjaer Guest

    Mogens Kjaer wrote:
    > I've installed the vpn client:
    >
    > vpnclient-linux-x86_64-4.8.00.0490-k9.tar.gz
    >
    > on several Linux machines without any problems.
    >
    > However, if the machine has an Intel NIC (e1000 driver), it doesn't
    > work. The tunnel is established, I can ping through
    > the tunnel, but nothing comes back.

    Thanks to SN, who sent me a private email regarding this
    problem. I'll post the solution here in case someone else
    runs into this problem:

    The problem is fixed by upgrading the e1000 driver to
    the latest release. This is currently 7.3.20. The new
    driver is available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000
    This needs to be rebuild after every kernel upgrade.

    Mogens Kjaer, Feb 12, 2007