    streaming wont impact on the VPN connection, if so can you give me some help
    to perform it.

    Thanks in advance for any help-Rob
    Rob, Aug 12, 2004

  2. In article <411bcc74$>, Rob <> wrote:
    :I have vpn connection using 515 on head office and 501 on branches, I was
    :wondering if there is anyway to assign a certain amount of available
    :Internet bandwidth to VPN connection, so downloading huge files and
    :streaming wont impact on the VPN connection, if so can you give me some help
    :to perform it.

    PIX does not support that. You would need to interpose a device
    between your LAN and the PIX in order to achieve your goal.
    --
    Those were borogoves and the momerathsoutgrabe completely mimsy.
    Walter Roberson, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    > In article <411bcc74$>, Rob <> wrote:
    > :I have vpn connection using 515 on head office and 501 on branches, I

    was
    > :wondering if there is anyway to assign a certain amount of available
    > :Internet bandwidth to VPN connection, so downloading huge files and
    > :streaming wont impact on the VPN connection, if so can you give me some

    help
    > :to perform it.
    >
    > PIX does not support that. You would need to interpose a device
    > between your LAN and the PIX in order to achieve your goal.
    > --
    > Those were borogoves and the momerathsoutgrabe completely mimsy.

    Any kind of Cisco router can do this job? or I have to look for any certain
    series?
    Thanks again-Ali
    Rob, Aug 13, 2004
  4. In article <411cc670$>, Rob <> wrote:
    |> In article <411bcc74$>, Rob <> wrote:
    |> :wondering if there is anyway to assign a certain amount of available
    |> :Internet bandwidth to VPN connection, so downloading huge files and
    |> :streaming wont impact on the VPN connection,

    |Any kind of Cisco router can do this job? or I have to look for any certain
    |series?

    If you can define the characteristics of the different bandwidth
    streams in terms of ACLs, then there are a number of Cisco
    products that could be used. Generally speaking, you would be
    creating a route map upon the ACL, and engaging Policy Based Routing
    with Traffic Policing. But Traffic Policing -drops- packets if
    you go over the limit (and for TCP expects the remote end to notice
    the drop and throttle down the window size). If what you want
    is to instead buffer the packets and fit them in as bandwidth
    permits, with first priority going to the most important streams,
    then you want Traffic Shaping, which not as many Cisco devices
    support.

    If you cannot define the characteristics in terms of an ACL,
    such as if your users are doing P2P sharing via port 80, then
    you should probably look at a Packeteer (non-Cisco) device.
    --
    Contents: 100% recycled post-consumer statements.
    Walter Roberson, Aug 15, 2004