VPN and ZoneAlarm conflict

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by doofus, Sep 17, 2006.

  1. doofus

    doofus Guest

    How do I set my Zone Alarm to not block my VPN virtual private network to my
    university account.

    When I try to connect to my VPN it hangs if Zone Alarm is up and running. I
    have to stop it through the task manager, then shut down Zone Alarm, then
    start VPN and connect, and then start Zone Alarm. Then everything is OK.

    But after a while it starts to get annoying.

    I have tried adding wide ip ranges to the firewall settings which ought to
    include my university ip address. These ranges are set as trusted. Still the
    same problem persists, although it did seem to work for a short while at
    first.

    Sorry if that seems rather vague.

    Grateful for any help.

    If you need more information, let me know.

    OS: XP home
    VPN: Cisco Systems VPN Client 4.6.00.0045

    One more thing. The VPN client has checks all the way across in the Program
    Control window, ie it is given full permission.

    I don't get any alerts when I try connecting with VPN.

    doofus, Sep 17, 2006

  2. doofus

    Mike Guest

    Mike, Sep 17, 2006

  3. doofus

    Mike Guest

    "doofus" <> wrote in message
    > How do I set my Zone Alarm to not block my VPN virtual private network to
    > my
    > university account.
    >
    > When I try to connect to my VPN it hangs if Zone Alarm is up and running.
    > have to stop it through the task manager, then shut down Zone Alarm, then
    > start VPN and connect, and then start Zone Alarm. Then everything is OK.
    >
    > But after a while it starts to get annoying.
    >
    > I have tried adding wide ip ranges to the firewall settings which ought to
    > include my university ip address. These ranges are set as trusted. Still
    > the
    > same problem persists, although it did seem to work for a short while at
    > first.
    >
    > Sorry if that seems rather vague.
    >
    > Grateful for any help.
    >
    > If you need more information, let me know.
    >
    > OS: XP home
    > VPN: Cisco Systems VPN Client 4.6.00.0045
    >
    > One more thing. The VPN client has checks all the way across in the
    > Program
    > Control window, ie it is given full permission.
    >
    > I don't get any alerts when I try connecting with VPN.

    You probably need to write an exception for VPN connection to include UDP
    port 62515.
    Check with the university IT dept.
    Mike

    the