VPN Advice

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rachel, Jun 17, 2004.

  1. Rachel

    Rachel Guest

    I would appreciate any advice on the following.

    If I had 10 PC's located at two office locations using a client/server
    network, and at each of the two offices the existing network works at
    10MB/s, using CAT 5, however the offices are not connected to each other,
    could I use a VPN to connect all of the offices together, and should I keep
    the existing network, however would there be a bandwidth issue as at each of
    the offices at present the network works 10MB/s?

    The VPN would be used to share data between the offices, and for users to
    access data and software applications from home.

    I hope the above makes sense, and any advice would be appreciated.

    Regards,

    Rachel

    Rachel, Jun 17, 2004

  2. Rachel

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Rachel" <> wrote in

    > I would appreciate any advice on the following.
    >

    > If I had 10 PC's located at two office locations using a client/server
    > network, and at each of the two offices the existing network works at
    > 10MB/s, using CAT 5, however the offices are not connected to each
    > other, could I use a VPN to connect all of the offices together

    Yes, you can do that. You can use machine to machine O/S to O/S, hardware
    appliances such as router to router, or software to software VPN
    connections.

    , and
    > should I keep the existing network, however would there be a bandwidth
    > issue as at each of the offices at present the network works 10MB/s?

    It may be best to step 100 MB/s. But on a LAN at 10MB/s you may not see
    that much of a speed difference with VPN encryption enabled.

    > The VPN would be used to share data between the offices, and for users
    > to access data and software applications from home.

    > I hope the above makes sense, and any advice would be appreciated.

    I think one of your solutions could be a WatchGuard Firebox III 6tc with
    its Mobile VPN solution allowing your home office users to connect from
    home and allowing the VPN between two offices, possibly.

    You may need to post at comp.security.firewalls to get a better answer
    than I can provide.

    HTH

    Duane :)