    experiences to relate?

    Thanks
    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Jul 14, 2013

  2. Theo Markettos

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <iMd*>, Theo Markettos <theom+news
    @chiark.greenend.org.uk> scribeth thus
    >I'm getting somewhat tired of VOIP companies whose call quality is dire (yes
    >Finarea/Betamax I'm looking at you). And even telcos who aren't VOIP
    >companies (Primus, Giffgaff) run some international calls over cheap'n'nasty
    >VOIP links. In some cases they just don't work.
    >
    >So I'm looking around for alternative providers who might actually have
    >decent call quality - that probably means doing some of the routing
    >themselves, not endlessly salami slicing and reselling someone else's
    >service.
    >
    >I've been pointed towards Voxbeam.com as a possible. Minimum topup is $50
    >which is a little on the steep side. You get $1 or something free as a
    >tester, but that won't last very long - wondering if anyone had any
    >experiences to relate?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Theo

    VoIPfone Theo, used them for well over a year now no duff calls at all....
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Jul 14, 2013

  3. Theo Markettos

    Graham. Guest

    On 14 Jul 2013 19:08:52 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos
    <> wrote:

    >I'm getting somewhat tired of VOIP companies whose call quality is dire (yes
    >Finarea/Betamax I'm looking at you). And even telcos who aren't VOIP
    >companies (Primus, Giffgaff) run some international calls over cheap'n'nasty
    >VOIP links. In some cases they just don't work.
    >
    >So I'm looking around for alternative providers who might actually have
    >decent call quality - that probably means doing some of the routing
    >themselves, not endlessly salami slicing and reselling someone else's
    >service.
    >
    >I've been pointed towards Voxbeam.com as a possible. Minimum topup is $50
    >which is a little on the steep side. You get $1 or something free as a
    >tester, but that won't last very long - wondering if anyone had any
    >experiences to relate?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Theo

    Theo, I respect your views, but I can only speak as I find, and I cant
    recall ever having a speech quality issue with
    Finarea/Betamax/Dellmont Sarl despite using their service from the
    time of call1899VoIP

    Most calls I make are to UK landlines and mobiles, and there is no
    perceivable difference in quality to my ears compared to a call made
    on my BT landline.

    Just as a "control" I would mention I can always tell the difference
    in audio quality to a call made on a direct exchange line and one
    split with a DACS, the latter always sounds awful.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jul 15, 2013
  4. Graham. <> wrote:
    > Most calls I make are to UK landlines and mobiles, and there is no
    > perceivable difference in quality to my ears compared to a call made
    > on my BT landline.

    It's very very destination dependent. For example, on occasion to Greek
    mobiles I've heard 'your balance is zero. Please topup'. That's not from
    Betamax, it's from whoever Betamax are using to relay the call to Greece.
    Similarly, call quality to Africa is often dire (if there isn't echo,
    there's long delays). Plus a month or two ago 18185 to UK started going
    echoey to the point of unusability (maybe a bad week, who knows?).

    The problem with a lot of call routing is that destinations simply aren't
    tested. Not only are there places that few people call (ever called the
    Central African Republic? neither have I) the interconnect depends on the
    destination network as well as country. So, while few people call the CAR,
    even fewer people call Nationlink in the CAR. There's therefore no feedback
    to the operators (or punters) to know whether it works at all.

    Perhaps we could have some kind of ping quality test for phone calls?

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Jul 16, 2013