voxalot

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Telephoneman, Jun 26, 2007.

  1. Telephoneman

    Telephoneman Guest

    I gave up trying to get a trixbox working a few months ago as I could never
    fix the one way transmission problems I had (amongst others) but I'd still
    like to do something with the comms around the house, my home office and the
    wife's (remote) office.

    At the moment I have an account with Voipfone with a pstn number and 4 PBX
    extensions. I've also got a an account with Voiptalk and another pstn number
    which routes to a UT Starcomm F1000. Furthermore I've got a couple of US
    voip numbers with 2 different providers. All in all it's a mess and costs me
    about a tenner a month in standing charges.

    As I'd like to keep all my numbers I was wondering if I could ditch the
    Voipfone extensions (99p per month each) and build a centrex functionality
    using voxalot, with the hardware I've already got plus some softphones. has
    anyone done this? The dial plans would seem not to be a problem but I'm not
    sure. Would I need to register every handset/softphone as a seperate
    account?

    TIA

    Liam

    --

    Private and Confidential
    ***************************

    Warning
    **********
    It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward
    transmission, opening, or use of this message and any attachments will have
    no adverse effect on their systems or data. Please undertake such virus and
    other checks as you consider appropriate. No responsibility is accepted by
    the sender in this respect.

    Telephoneman, Jun 26, 2007

  2. Telephoneman

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:32:40 +0100, "Telephoneman"
    <> wrote:

    >I gave up trying to get a trixbox working a few months ago as I could never
    >fix the one way transmission problems I had (amongst others) but I'd still
    >like to do something with the comms around the house, my home office and the
    >wife's (remote) office.
    >
    >At the moment I have an account with Voipfone with a pstn number and 4 PBX
    >extensions. I've also got a an account with Voiptalk and another pstn number
    >which routes to a UT Starcomm F1000. Furthermore I've got a couple of US
    >voip numbers with 2 different providers. All in all it's a mess and costs me
    >about a tenner a month in standing charges.
    >
    >As I'd like to keep all my numbers I was wondering if I could ditch the
    >Voipfone extensions (99p per month each) and build a centrex functionality
    >using voxalot, with the hardware I've already got plus some softphones. has
    >anyone done this? The dial plans would seem not to be a problem but I'm not
    >sure. Would I need to register every handset/softphone as a seperate
    >account?
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Liam

    You can open a single voxalot account to register all your voip
    accounts. Then input all the details of your providers. Where you want
    an incoming call to ring your phone you should set that provider to
    'register'. Don't fall into the trap of choosing a nice, easy to
    remember, voxalot number as you'll find lots of morons using it for a
    test number.
    You then set up your ATA to register with voxalot.
    You may choose to have a dialling plan mix - some on the ATA and some
    on voxalot - depends on your set up ( I am not familiar with your
    router).
    Once set up all your numbers will ring your phone and there will be a
    common voicemail box on voxalot.
    On your account details page set the time to 'London' time. That will
    ensure announcements from voicemail give the correct time.
    However, you should set forwarding times in GMT - an anomaly that you
    should be aware of.
    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Get your friends to sign too!
    TV.
    ---

    Brian A, Jun 26, 2007

  3. Telephoneman

    Brian Guest

    On 26-06-2007, Telephoneman <> wrote:

    > I gave up trying to get a trixbox working a few months ago as I could never
    > fix the one way transmission problems I had (amongst others) but I'd still
    > like to do something with the comms around the house, my home office and the
    > wife's (remote) office.
    >
    > At the moment I have an account with Voipfone with a pstn number and 4 PBX
    > extensions. I've also got a an account with Voiptalk and another pstn number
    > which routes to a UT Starcomm F1000. Furthermore I've got a couple of US
    > voip numbers with 2 different providers. All in all it's a mess and costs me
    > about a tenner a month in standing charges.
    >
    > As I'd like to keep all my numbers I was wondering if I could ditch the
    > Voipfone extensions (99p per month each) and build a centrex functionality
    > using voxalot, with the hardware I've already got plus some softphones. has
    > anyone done this? The dial plans would seem not to be a problem but I'm not
    > sure. Would I need to register every handset/softphone as a seperate
    > account?

    The Voipfone extensions provide some quite sophisticated functions which
    may not be capable of being replaced by what Voxalot has to offer. A bit
    more detail on the way you use them is likely to be helpful.

    --
    Brian

    Brian, Jun 26, 2007
  4. Telephoneman

    Telephoneman Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > On 26-06-2007, Telephoneman <> wrote:
    >
    >> I gave up trying to get a trixbox working a few months ago as I could
    >> never
    >> fix the one way transmission problems I had (amongst others) but I'd
    >> still
    >> like to do something with the comms around the house, my home office and
    >> the
    >> wife's (remote) office.
    >>
    >> At the moment I have an account with Voipfone with a pstn number and 4
    >> PBX
    >> extensions. I've also got a an account with Voiptalk and another pstn
    >> number
    >> which routes to a UT Starcomm F1000. Furthermore I've got a couple of US
    >> voip numbers with 2 different providers. All in all it's a mess and costs
    >> me
    >> about a tenner a month in standing charges.
    >>
    >> As I'd like to keep all my numbers I was wondering if I could ditch the
    >> Voipfone extensions (99p per month each) and build a centrex
    >> functionality
    >> using voxalot, with the hardware I've already got plus some softphones.
    >> has
    >> anyone done this? The dial plans would seem not to be a problem but I'm
    >> not
    >> sure. Would I need to register every handset/softphone as a seperate
    >> account?

    > The Voipfone extensions provide some quite sophisticated functions which
    > may not be capable of being replaced by what Voxalot has to offer. A bit
    > more detail on the way you use them is likely to be helpful.
    >
    > --
    > Brian

    OK, I'd like to have a couple of extensions at site A, using the analogue
    ports on the existing Speedtouch 716. At site B (also a ST716) I'd have 2
    analogue phones, 1 ethernet voip phone, the wi-fi voip phone and a couple of
    soft-phones. Every station would be allocated a 2XX number (doesn't class
    with my local numbers). Every station could call the others using 2XX and
    also access the pstn. Dial plan would prefix local 7XXXXX and 8XXXXX numbers
    with the STD code. All pstn calls would go out via voipfone, except USA
    calls which would go out via one of my US voip carriers.

    On the incoming side each existing number would be pointed at an extn
    (mostly at the same one), except where the SP e.g. voiptalk allows calling
    of multiple numbers simultaneously which I would want to take advantage of.
    Ideally a call answered at one extn could be transferred to another. I
    realise this is getting into pbx functionality and if it wasn't possible
    then it's not the end of the world.

    TIA

    Telephoneman, Jun 26, 2007
  5. Telephoneman

    Brian Guest

    On 26-06-2007, Telephoneman <> wrote:

    > OK, I'd like to have a couple of extensions at site A, using the analogue
    > ports on the existing Speedtouch 716. At site B (also a ST716) I'd have 2
    > analogue phones, 1 ethernet voip phone, the wi-fi voip phone and a couple of
    > soft-phones. Every station would be allocated a 2XX number (doesn't class
    > with my local numbers). Every station could call the others using 2XX and
    > also access the pstn. Dial plan would prefix local 7XXXXX and 8XXXXX numbers
    > with the STD code. All pstn calls would go out via voipfone, except USA
    > calls which would go out via one of my US voip carriers.

    Voxalot supports multiple registrations, so it should be possible to
    register all your equipment to a single account. Their dial plan
    features should allow you do what you specify with 7XXXXX and 8XXXXX
    numbers and PSTN calls. One station calling another I'm not sure about.
    I wonder whether call forwarding is a possible route to a solution.

    > On the incoming side each existing number would be pointed at an extn
    > (mostly at the same one), except where the SP e.g. voiptalk allows calling
    > of multiple numbers simultaneously which I would want to take advantage of.
    > Ideally a call answered at one extn could be transferred to another. I
    > realise this is getting into pbx functionality and if it wasn't possible
    > then it's not the end of the world.

    There do not appear to be any problems with handling your incoming call
    requirements, although you might consider having them come directly to
    your static IP. Call transfer does not seem possible with Voxalot.

    --
    Brian

    Brian, Jun 27, 2007
  6. Telephoneman

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Telephoneman wrote:
    > I gave up trying to get a trixbox working a few months ago as I could never
    > fix the one way transmission problems I had (amongst others)

    That will be a NAT problem because Asterisk doesn't support STUN which
    your handsets will use to get around the NAT issue. Either remove the
    NAT or use a provider that supports IAX such as http://www.voiptalk.org

    Desk Rabbit, Jun 27, 2007