    "crap" VOIP providers offerings. and I agree well worth the 9.99 they
    are charging .

    , Jul 13, 2005

  2. Ivor Jones Guest

    wrote:
    > Well now having had the chance to try out Vonage I can agree with
    > the person who wrote and said that Vonage is far superior than the
    > other "crap" VOIP providers offerings. and I agree well worth the
    > 9.99 they are charging .

    As a normal landline doesn't cost much different you'd have to make enough
    phone calls to make it worthwhile. I don't make a tenner's worth of calls
    to the PSTN in a year, let alone a month..! Does it have peering to
    Sipgate and other suppliers..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 13, 2005

  3. Dave Gill Guest

    Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    > Does it have peering to Sipgate and other suppliers..?

    No.

    Dave Gill, Jul 13, 2005
  4. Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:29:52 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:
    >As a normal landline doesn't cost much different you'd have to make enough
    >phone calls to make it worthwhile.

    Ivor a BT landline cost I think 10.40 in line rental alone and
    Telewest isn't much different that has to be paid each month
    before you even pick up the phone . I have just made a 50 minute call
    to a friend in Blackpool which on BT would have cost a minimum of
    £ 2.00 and more or less the same on TW with a 6p connection charge on
    top. The call quality was superb and has many people have stated here
    and elsewhere Vonage makes the rest seem utter rubbish and I mean the
    rest not just your beloved Sipgate .
    > I don't make a tenner's worth of calls
    >to the PSTN in a year, let alone a month..!

    But you still have to pay the line rental each month I don't all I
    have to pay is Telewests broadband connection charges which gives me
    internet and phones .
    > Does it have peering to Sipgate and other suppliers..?

    No but why bother about that yes you can call other VOIP providers via
    Sipgate but the gesture is not reciprocated by other VOIP providers
    they all say the peer with Sipgate but in practice they don't . I
    can't call my Sipgate number from my FWD , Sipfone or Voipphone
    accounts .

    , Jul 13, 2005
  5. m0rk Guest

    >> Does it have peering to Sipgate and other suppliers..?
    > No but why bother about that yes you can call other VOIP providers via
    > Sipgate but the gesture is not reciprocated by other VOIP providers
    > they all say the peer with Sipgate but in practice they don't . I
    > can't call my Sipgate number from my FWD , Sipfone or Voipphone
    > accounts .

    Whats all this part about ... cant call your sipgate number from other voip
    providers?

    I thought voip to voip were free calls - are you saying you cant call other
    providers voip users? That one sure passed me by when looking around .....

    m0rk, Jul 13, 2005
  6. Ivor Jones Guest

    m0rk wrote:
    >>> Does it have peering to Sipgate and other suppliers..?

    >> No but why bother about that yes you can call other VOIP providers
    >> via Sipgate but the gesture is not reciprocated by other VOIP
    >> providers they all say the peer with Sipgate but in practice they
    >> don't . I can't call my Sipgate number from my FWD , Sipfone or
    >> Voipphone accounts .

    > Whats all this part about ... cant call your sipgate number from
    > other voip providers?
    >
    > I thought voip to voip were free calls - are you saying you cant
    > call other providers voip users? That one sure passed me by when
    > looking around .....

    Calls are only free to other VoIP providers' customers if there is a
    peering agreement in place. Not all providers have such agreements.

    For example the list of providers that Sipgate have agreements with can be
    found here:

    https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php?show=6

    It appears that Vonage do not have peering agreements with other systems.
    Anyone know any different..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 13, 2005
  7. m0rk Guest

    >> I thought voip to voip were free calls - are you saying you cant
    >> call other providers voip users? That one sure passed me by when
    >> looking around .....

    > Calls are only free to other VoIP providers' customers if there is a
    > peering agreement in place. Not all providers have such agreements.
    >
    > For example the list of providers that Sipgate have agreements with can be
    > found here:
    >
    > https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/tarife.php?show=6
    >
    > It appears that Vonage do not have peering agreements with other systems.
    > Anyone know any different..?
    >
    > Ivor

    So, what happens if I use my sipgate account and call a number that happens
    to be voip - if I dont put in a prefix then am I charged whatever the charge
    or can I not call the number?

    m0rk, Jul 13, 2005
  8. Ivor Jones Guest

    m0rk wrote:

    [snip]

    > So, what happens if I use my sipgate account and call a number that
    > happens to be voip - if I dont put in a prefix then am I charged
    > whatever the charge or can I not call the number?

    If you look at that list it will tell you - some providers require you use
    a prefix, some don't. You can still call the number but you *may* be
    charged, I don't know, it depends on how the system has been set up.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 13, 2005
  9. Dave Gill Guest

    m0rk <> wrote:

    > So, what happens if I use my sipgate account and call a number that happens
    > to be voip - if I dont put in a prefix then am I charged whatever the charge
    > or can I not call the number?

    Basically if you want to make sure your VoIP to VoIP call is free, and
    both VoIP providers involved have a peering arrangement, you would dial
    a specific prefix then the 7 digit "SIP number" of the person you want
    to call. (If both parties are using the same VoIP provider just the SIP
    number without a prefix will work.)

    If you call another VoIP user's PSTN number instead of prefix + SIP
    number, and the other party is with a different VoIP provider, you will
    probably get charged for a standard PSTN phone call, even if the
    providers have a peering arrangement.

    Vonage don't have peering arrangements. Their argument is that you get
    unlimited inclusive calls to UK geographic numbers anyway, but that
    doesn't help if you regularly phone someone outside the UK...

    Sipgate, Gossiptel, Gradwell, CallUK, SipCall, FWD and quite a few other
    providers have peering arrangements, if that's what you need.

    Dave Gill, Jul 13, 2005
  10. m0rk Guest

    "Dave Gill" <> wrote in message
    > m0rk <> wrote:
    >
    >> So, what happens if I use my sipgate account and call a number that
    >> happens
    >> to be voip - if I dont put in a prefix then am I charged whatever the
    >> charge
    >> or can I not call the number?

    > Basically if you want to make sure your VoIP to VoIP call is free, and
    > both VoIP providers involved have a peering arrangement, you would dial
    > a specific prefix then the 7 digit "SIP number" of the person you want
    > to call. (If both parties are using the same VoIP provider just the SIP
    > number without a prefix will work.)
    >
    > If you call another VoIP user's PSTN number instead of prefix + SIP
    > number, and the other party is with a different VoIP provider, you will
    > probably get charged for a standard PSTN phone call, even if the
    > providers have a peering arrangement.
    >
    > Vonage don't have peering arrangements. Their argument is that you get
    > unlimited inclusive calls to UK geographic numbers anyway, but that
    > doesn't help if you regularly phone someone outside the UK...
    >
    > Sipgate, Gossiptel, Gradwell, CallUK, SipCall, FWD and quite a few other
    > providers have peering arrangements, if that's what you need.

    Ok ... have to read more closely next time!

    For me I dont need any of this - im just getting upto speed in case I need
    to install it for someone or our company bites the bullet. I'll switch over
    to it to save a few quid each month providing I dont sacrifice anything
    noticable although already the GF has said she doesnt want to change phone
    numbers so thats an issue from the start as the only way id save any money
    is to get rid of the current telewest line rental, we dont make enough calls
    otherwise.

    So far I like the voicemail, get to it via web or have it emailed to you
    ..... im concerned over quality of the other sides connection as its faint
    when I call a telewest line from sipgate ...(my side of the call is good
    quality and plenty loud enough) havent tried another provider or different
    phone yet though.

    m0rk, Jul 13, 2005
  11. Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:07:32 +0100, "m0rk" <> wrote:

    >I thought voip to voip were free calls - are you saying you cant call other
    >providers voip users? That one sure passed me by when looking around .....

    I can't call my Sipgate number from my FWD , Sipfone or Voipphone
    accounts don't know if anyone else can do this or not certainly no
    problem from Sipgate to .......................................... .
    I emailed Voipphone about this and they came back with " Sipgate are
    refusing to peer with us" !!! FWD say they would look into it and get
    back this was months ago now and nothing .

    , Jul 13, 2005
  12. Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:19:45 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >For example the list of providers that Sipgate have agreements with can be
    >found here:

    And it works Sipgate to whoever but you can't come the other way .

    , Jul 13, 2005
  13. Ivor Jones Guest

    wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:19:45 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> For example the list of providers that Sipgate have agreements
    >> with can be found here:

    > And it works Sipgate to whoever but you can't come the other way .

    I've had calls from Gradwell users.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 13, 2005
  14. Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:36:20 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:19:45 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> For example the list of providers that Sipgate have agreements
    >>> with can be found here:

    >> And it works Sipgate to whoever but you can't come the other way .

    >I've had calls from Gradwell users.

    Notice I never mentioned Gradwell I only mentioned the ones I have had
    personel experance of .

    , Jul 13, 2005
  15. Martin² Guest

    >I thought voip to voip were free calls - are you saying you cant call other
    >providers voip users? That one sure passed me by when looking around .....

    You can call anyone with VoIP directly using their IP address (at least in
    theory).
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jul 14, 2005
  16. Ivor Jones Guest

    "Martin²" <> wrote in message
    > >I thought voip to voip were free calls - are you saying you cant call
    > >other providers voip users? That one sure passed me by when looking
    > >around .....

    > You can call anyone with VoIP directly using their IP address (at least
    > in theory).
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    So how do I tell my ATA that the number I'm dialling on the phone is an IP
    address and not a phone number..? Assuming I know the other person's IP
    address anyway, which if they have a dynamic one could be different every
    time I want to call them.

    Would calling someone using this method work at all to another network..?
    I would think it would be limited to the user's own network, but I may be
    wrong.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 14, 2005
  17. Martin² Guest

    Ivor:
    >So how do I tell my ATA that the number I'm dialling on the phone is an IP
    >address and not a phone number..?

    Just dial asterisks instead of the full stops:
    84*92*247*324
    VoIP routers will let you store such 'number' and use a short code to call
    it.
    (Don't know if any ATA's can do that.)
    Although my IP address is theoretically dynamic, because I use a router it
    actually stays the same, even after power cut.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jul 15, 2005