Vonage - why do I want to mess around with VOIP?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by OM, Jul 31, 2006.

  1. OM

    OM Guest

    Vonage - why do I want to mess around with VOIP?

    I've done some research.
    Not an expert or anything!
    Vonage - £5.99 for 6 months.
    Why would I want to go to the trouble of setting up a VOIP phone
    service, buying hardware and configuring - fair amount of work I would
    imagine??

    Vonage: works out of the box.

    What am I missing?
    (Erm... will NOT go for Vonage... heard too many bad things - just want
    to know the answer why I shouldn'y go with them.)

    Thanks.

    OM
    OM, Jul 31, 2006

  2. OM

    Graham. Guest

    Vonage - why do I want to mess around with VOIP?

    I've done some research.
    Not an expert or anything!
    Vonage - £5.99 for 6 months.

    I thought it was £5.99 *per month* for the first 6 months thereafter £7.99
    *per month*
    only UK landline calls are unmetered

    Compare that to VOIPCHEAP for example: £10 for 120 days and you can make 300
    minuets of free calls per week, not just to UK geo numbers but also most
    Europian ones and other international destinations like US and Australia.
    They give you a proper incoming number apropriate to your location too.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Aug 1, 2006

  3. Thus spaketh OM:
    > Vonage - why do I want to mess around with VOIP?
    >
    > I've done some research.
    > Not an expert or anything!
    > Vonage - £5.99 for 6 months.
    > Why would I want to go to the trouble of setting up a VOIP phone
    > service, buying hardware and configuring - fair amount of work I would
    > imagine??
    >
    > Vonage: works out of the box.
    >
    > What am I missing?
    > (Erm... will NOT go for Vonage... heard too many bad things - just
    > want to know the answer why I shouldn'y go with them.)
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > OM

    Because you are paying so much per month when you probably wouldn't make
    the number of calls each month for it to be worth it, especially when
    you can get unlimited calls packages on the landline for less than
    Vonage, or just get for no fee unlimited evening and weekend calls and
    just pay 3p per call for daytime calls. You pay that monthly fee even
    when you don't make any calls as you may be away for a week or two at a
    time.

    Configuring an ATA is a piece of piss, plus when you buy unlocked (as in
    unmodified) ATAs you can test the various VoIP suppliers and chop and
    change.

    If you can get others to use VoIP you can call free between them, so
    less need again for the rip-off monthly charges.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 1, 2006
  4. OM

    Guest

    On 31 Jul 2006 15:36:38 -0700, "OM" <> wrote:

    >Vonage - why do I want to mess around with VOIP?

    >Vonage - £5.99 for 6 months.

    Don't you mean A MONTH for six months they tried to temp me back with
    the offer a little while ago .
    >Why would I want to go to the trouble of setting up a VOIP phone
    >service, buying hardware and configuring - fair amount of work I would
    >imagine??
    >
    >Vonage: works out of the box.
    >
    >What am I missing?
    >(Erm... will NOT go for Vonage... heard too many bad things - just want
    >to know the answer why I shouldn'y go with them.)

    Only one reason Freetalk is just a little bit cheaper and just the
    same sort of excellent service but there is absolutely nothing at all
    wrong at all with Vonage.
    , Aug 1, 2006