    monthly contract at no further charge. In other words, given I'm
    already paying £7.99 / month for residential service, is there any
    additional cost (apart from the one-time £19.99)?

    Polly, Nov 5, 2006

  2. Polly

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-11-05, Polly <> wrote:

    > Has anyone tried the Vonage V-Phone and, if so, is it any good?

    I haven't but others have. Google records their views. Opinion appears
    to be that it works and can be useful.

    > It's advertised at £19.99, but what's not clear is whether existing
    > Vonage customers can then operate this device alongside their existing
    > monthly contract at no further charge. In other words, given I'm
    > already paying £7.99 / month for residential service, is there any
    > additional cost (apart from the one-time £19.99)?

    http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic15205.html

    and an archive search at

    http://www.theglobeandmail.com

    are informative but unlikely to make you ecstatic.

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 5, 2006

  3. Thus spaketh Polly:
    > Has anyone tried the Vonage V-Phone and, if so, is it any good?
    >
    > It's advertised at £19.99, but what's not clear is whether existing
    > Vonage customers can then operate this device alongside their existing
    > monthly contract at no further charge. In other words, given I'm
    > already paying £7.99 / month for residential service, is there any
    > additional cost (apart from the one-time £19.99)?

    As you are already pay a high cost for VoIP, you could surely afford to
    pay again for this, though there is also the thinking as you are already
    paying a high price for VoIP they could incorperate this into your
    current account.

    Vonage make money by charging their high monthly cost, knowing that most
    people would never use the phone enough to make the service value for
    money and for it to cost Vonage to carry you, if they allowed two
    services from them same monthly tariff then you could halve the amount
    of time it takes to hit Vonages call limit and where it would cost them.
    Vonage want to make money out of the vast majority of people spending
    more with them, than the actual call costs, and what it would have cost
    the user if they had simply paid on a call by call basis.

    --
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Nov 5, 2006
  4. Polly

    Polly Guest

    On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 14:52:54 +0000 (UTC), Brian postulated:

    >http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic15205.html
    >
    >and an archive search at
    >
    >http://www.theglobeandmail.com
    >
    >are informative but unlikely to make you ecstatic.

    You're right: they don't make me feel ecstatic. If the V-Phone could
    be bundled in as part of my Vonage contract, I'd be very happy.

    My question is: are there any other VoIP providers that allow me to
    use my ATA while at home, but when I'm travelling provide me with a
    V-Phone like facility? I rather like the idea of carrying around such
    a small stick that can be plugged into another PC without my having to
    install (or use) application software on that PC yet enables me to
    make and receive calls as if I was at home. The normal ATAs are too
    bulky to carry around and they are also awkward to have to plug into
    other people's networks.

    Polly, Nov 8, 2006
  5. Polly

    Herman Guest

    "Polly" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 14:52:54 +0000 (UTC), Brian postulated:
    >
    >>http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic15205.html
    >>
    >>and an archive search at
    >>
    >>http://www.theglobeandmail.com
    >>
    >>are informative but unlikely to make you ecstatic.

    > You're right: they don't make me feel ecstatic. If the V-Phone could
    > be bundled in as part of my Vonage contract, I'd be very happy.
    >
    > My question is: are there any other VoIP providers that allow me to
    > use my ATA while at home, but when I'm travelling provide me with a
    > V-Phone like facility? I rather like the idea of carrying around such
    > a small stick that can be plugged into another PC without my having to
    > install (or use) application software on that PC yet enables me to
    > make and receive calls as if I was at home. The normal ATAs are too
    > bulky to carry around and they are also awkward to have to plug into
    > other people's networks.

    If you are just using one computer while travelling, my advice is to install
    a free softphone such as x-lite and configure it for a service such as
    Sipgate. Then include your new Sipgate number as a "Simulring" number in
    Vonage online setup, and both will ring simultaneously for incoming calls.
    You do need to make sure that Sipgate voicemail is turned off though,
    otherwise neither phone will ring when you are not connected to Sipgate (and
    their voicemail is terrible)

    The only thing you would have to pay for in this setup is the outbound calls
    via Sipgate, which can be fairly cheap.

    Herman, Nov 8, 2006
  6. Polly

    Polly Guest

    On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 22:46:06 GMT, Herman postulated:

    >"Polly" <> wrote in message

    >> My question is: are there any other VoIP providers that allow me to
    >> use my ATA while at home, but when I'm travelling provide me with a
    >> V-Phone like facility? I rather like the idea of carrying around such
    >> a small stick that can be plugged into another PC without my having to
    >> install (or use) application software on that PC yet enables me to
    >> make and receive calls as if I was at home. The normal ATAs are too
    >> bulky to carry around and they are also awkward to have to plug into
    >> other people's networks.

    >If you are just using one computer while travelling, my advice is to install
    >a free softphone such as x-lite and configure it for a service such as
    >Sipgate. Then include your new Sipgate number as a "Simulring" number in
    >Vonage online setup, and both will ring simultaneously for incoming calls.
    >You do need to make sure that Sipgate voicemail is turned off though,
    >otherwise neither phone will ring when you are not connected to Sipgate (and
    >their voicemail is terrible)

    I think you misunderstood when I said I was looking for a V-Phone like
    facility to plug into "another computer" and "without installing
    software". By that I meant a computer which is not mine. I don't want
    to install software on a third party computer. The beauty of the
    V-Phone is exactly that: you carry the stick with you and plug it into
    any suitable PC and install NO SOFTWARE on that PC.

    Is anyone else, other than Vonage, offering such a facility?

    Polly, Nov 8, 2006
  7. Polly

    Herman Guest

    "Polly" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 22:46:06 GMT, Herman postulated:
    >
    >>"Polly" <> wrote in message

    >>> My question is: are there any other VoIP providers that allow me to
    >>> use my ATA while at home, but when I'm travelling provide me with a
    >>> V-Phone like facility? I rather like the idea of carrying around such
    >>> a small stick that can be plugged into another PC without my having to
    >>> install (or use) application software on that PC yet enables me to
    >>> make and receive calls as if I was at home. The normal ATAs are too
    >>> bulky to carry around and they are also awkward to have to plug into
    >>> other people's networks.

    >>If you are just using one computer while travelling, my advice is to
    >>install
    >>a free softphone such as x-lite and configure it for a service such as
    >>Sipgate. Then include your new Sipgate number as a "Simulring" number in
    >>Vonage online setup, and both will ring simultaneously for incoming calls.
    >>You do need to make sure that Sipgate voicemail is turned off though,
    >>otherwise neither phone will ring when you are not connected to Sipgate
    >>(and
    >>their voicemail is terrible)

    > I think you misunderstood when I said I was looking for a V-Phone like
    > facility to plug into "another computer" and "without installing
    > software". By that I meant a computer which is not mine. I don't want
    > to install software on a third party computer. The beauty of the
    > V-Phone is exactly that: you carry the stick with you and plug it into
    > any suitable PC and install NO SOFTWARE on that PC.
    >
    > Is anyone else, other than Vonage, offering such a facility?
    >
    > --

    I take your point that the V-phone stick would appear to be very user
    friendly, although I am not sure it doesn't install software. It will at
    least have to install the hardware (in the same way as a flash drive is
    installed) so that it can take advantage of the internet connection of the
    computer. If it also has it's own on-board microphone and speaker then it
    could probably do without software, but I am not sure this is the case.

    Still as you point out, it is convenient but over-priced. I don't know of
    any other company offering a similar service, which is why they set the
    price so high I guess. You'd have thought the competition from mobiles
    might have brought the cost down significantly, though.

    Herman, Nov 8, 2006
  8. Polly

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-11-08, Polly <> wrote:

    > My question is: are there any other VoIP providers that allow me to
    > use my ATA while at home, but when I'm travelling provide me with a
    > V-Phone like facility? I rather like the idea of carrying around such
    > a small stick that can be plugged into another PC without my having to
    > install (or use) application software on that PC yet enables me to
    > make and receive calls as if I was at home. The normal ATAs are too
    > bulky to carry around and they are also awkward to have to plug into
    > other people's networks.

    There is the FlashPhone at www.mplat.com. Not for those averse to Skype
    but there are occasional references on the web to it being able to run
    sip software.

    www.inphonex.com also have Flash Phone. There is a page about it which
    is accessed via the Site Map.

    Also voicestick.com promotes its own memory stick product.

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 9, 2006
  9. Polly

    Polly Guest

    On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 23:34:36 GMT, Herman postulated:

    >I take your point that the V-phone stick would appear to be very user
    >friendly, although I am not sure it doesn't install software. It will at
    >least have to install the hardware (in the same way as a flash drive is
    >installed) so that it can take advantage of the internet connection of the
    >computer. If it also has it's own on-board microphone and speaker then it
    >could probably do without software, but I am not sure this is the case.

    Since V-Phone has its own microphone and earpirece, there's no
    application software to be installed - just drivers.
    http://www.vonage.co.uk/help.php?article=1148

    >Still as you point out, it is convenient but over-priced.

    £19.99 overpriced?

    Polly, Nov 9, 2006
  10. Polly

    alexd Guest

    Polly wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 23:34:36 GMT, Herman postulated:

    >>I take your point that the V-phone stick would appear to be very user
    >>friendly, although I am not sure it doesn't install software. It will at
    >>least have to install the hardware (in the same way as a flash drive is
    >>installed) so that it can take advantage of the internet connection of the
    >>computer. If it also has it's own on-board microphone and speaker then it
    >>could probably do without software, but I am not sure this is the case.

    > Since V-Phone has its own microphone and earpirece, there's no
    > application software to be installed - just drivers.
    > http://www.vonage.co.uk/help.php?article=1148

    Why is installing an application like Xlite a problem, but installing
    drivers not? Surely drivers [which hook in at a lower level in the OS than
    applications do] are more of a risk than applications?

    >>Still as you point out, it is convenient but over-priced.

    > £19.99 overpriced?

    That would buy you a years worth of off-peak calls with voip.co.uk,
    ferinstance.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:52:53 up 17 days, 3:38, 3 users, load average: 3.03, 3.08, 3.08

    alexd, Nov 10, 2006
  11. Polly

    Polly Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 20:00:22 GMT, alexd postulated:

    >Polly wrote:

    >Why is installing an application like Xlite a problem, but installing
    >drivers not? Surely drivers [which hook in at a lower level in the OS than
    >applications do] are more of a risk than applications?

    .... because I don't want my account details installed on a stranger's
    computer.

    >> £19.99 overpriced?

    >That would buy you a years worth of off-peak calls with voip.co.uk,
    >ferinstance.

    You're not comparing like with like. V-Phone is a product I can stick
    in my pocket and when connected to any suitable third party PC, I can
    make and receive calls. voip.co.uk does not offer any similar
    facility.

    V-Phone also offers 256mb USB stick storage.

    While no doubt you consider voip.co.uk as a product delivered to you
    from heaven, it is not right to promote it as ideal for everyone. I'm
    not pretending that Vonage is perfect for everyone, but it is not as
    bad as some of the residents here would have you believe.

    In some instances it may work out significantly cheaper than
    voip.co.uk. For example Vonage gives free diversion of incoming calls
    to ANY UK 01 or 02 number, unlike voip.co.uk.

    Polly, Nov 10, 2006
  12. > My question is: are there any other VoIP providers that allow me to
    > use my ATA while at home, but when I'm travelling provide me with a
    > V-Phone like facility?

    The Babble Stick works with the Babble VOIP network and is available from
    the shop on babble.net (£19.95 inc VAT plus postage).

    Anthony Thornton, Nov 10, 2006