vonage, the end of telphones as you know it.

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Ad C, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. Ad C

    Ad C Guest

    That is the banner I have just seen, what a load of rubbish. Ok, so BT
    is going to use VOIP on the new system, but no one will know about it.
    companies like vonage will have a small market, they talk a load of
    crap.

    Most people in this country will still use the BT style line for years
    to come, unless they got cable and they may use the cable phone.
    Ad C, Aug 11, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ad C

    Guest

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:08:33 +0100, Ad C <>
    wrote:
    >Most people in this country will still use the BT style line for years
    >to come, unless they got cable and they may use the cable phone.

    Well yes I suppose so but most people only tolerate BT because they
    have no choice and between Telewest and British Telecom BT are the
    best of a very bad lot .
    , Aug 11, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ad C

    Nick Guest

    "Ad C" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > That is the banner I have just seen, what a load of rubbish. Ok, so BT
    > is going to use VOIP on the new system, but no one will know about it.
    > companies like vonage will have a small market, they talk a load of
    > crap.
    >
    > Most people in this country will still use the BT style line for years
    > to come, unless they got cable and they may use the cable phone.


    "unless they got cable and they may use the cable phone"

    Although the grammar is not perfect, I'm assuming that "Ad C" is an
    expert on telecommunication matters, and therefore might like to enlighten
    those not so knowledgeable what the difference is between a BT and
    Cable telephone?
    Nick, Aug 11, 2005
    #3
  4. Ad C

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    news:JdPKe.5720$
    > "Ad C" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > That is the banner I have just seen, what a load of
    > > rubbish. Ok, so BT is going to use VOIP on the new
    > > system, but no one will know about it. companies like
    > > vonage will have a small market, they talk a load of
    > > crap.
    > >
    > > Most people in this country will still use the BT style
    > > line for years to come, unless they got cable and they
    > > may use the cable phone.

    >
    > "unless they got cable and they may use the cable phone"
    >
    > Although the grammar is not perfect, I'm assuming that
    > "Ad C" is an expert on telecommunication matters, and
    > therefore might like to enlighten those not so
    > knowledgeable what the difference is between a BT and
    > Cable telephone?


    That's easy - a phone from a cable provider doesn't require a BT line..!
    If you have broadband via cable you don't need a phone from them either
    and so can use VoIP with no BT or cable phone at all.

    Ivor


    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 11, 2005
    #4
  5. Ad C

    Ad C Guest

    In article <>,
    says...



    > Well yes I suppose so but most people only tolerate BT because they
    > have no choice and between Telewest and British Telecom BT are the
    > best of a very bad lot .
    >


    People have got a sort of a choice now, they still have to use BT lines,
    but they do not have to have contact with BT. My calls and line rental
    are paid to another phone provider, if anything goes wrong, w2hich have
    not done so far, I phone up my phone provider, not BT.
    Ad C, Aug 11, 2005
    #5
  6. Ad C

    Ad C Guest

    In article <JdPKe.5720$>,
    says...
    >
    > Although the grammar is not perfect, I'm assuming that "Ad C" is an
    > expert on telecommunication matters, and therefore might like to enlighten
    > those not so knowledgeable what the difference is between a BT and
    > Cable telephone?
    >
    >
    >

    You know what I mean. a telephone though a cable company like NTL or
    telewest, and not via BT. Yes,I know they all use cables.
    Ad C, Aug 11, 2005
    #6
  7. Ad C

    Guest

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:16:59 +0100, Ad C <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >
    >
    >> Well yes I suppose so but most people only tolerate BT because they
    >> have no choice and between Telewest and British Telecom BT are the
    >> best of a very bad lot .
    >>

    >
    >People have got a sort of a choice now, they still have to use BT lines,
    >but they do not have to have contact with BT. My calls and line rental
    >are paid to another phone provider, if anything goes wrong, w2hich have
    >not done so far, I phone up my phone provider, not BT.

    And you are still reliant on BT to fix any problem with the line only
    BT engineers have access to the cabinet in your road or your exchange
    or wherever the line fault may be .
    , Aug 11, 2005
    #7
  8. Ad C

    Ad C Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > And you are still reliant on BT to fix any problem with the line only
    > BT engineers have access to the cabinet in your road or your exchange
    > or wherever the line fault may be .
    >


    Yep, but that will never change, unless you use a cable company.
    Ad C, Aug 12, 2005
    #8
  9. "Nick" <> wrote in message
    news:JdPKe.5720$...
    >
    > "Ad C" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> That is the banner I have just seen, what a load of rubbish. Ok, so BT
    >> is going to use VOIP on the new system, but no one will know about it.
    >> companies like vonage will have a small market, they talk a load of
    >> crap.
    >>
    >> Most people in this country will still use the BT style line for years
    >> to come, unless they got cable and they may use the cable phone.

    >
    > "unless they got cable and they may use the cable phone"
    >
    > Although the grammar is not perfect, I'm assuming that "Ad C" is an
    > expert on telecommunication matters, and therefore might like to enlighten
    > those not so knowledgeable what the difference is between a BT and
    > Cable telephone?
    >
    >


    For the domestic customer the only difference between BT and cable in most
    cases, is that the 'wire pair' goes all the way back to the BT exchange,
    whereas in the case of cable the 'wire pair' goes to a multiplexor in a
    street cabinet, typically <200m, from there the connection goes onto a fibre
    ring, and enters the cable operators telephone switch on a 2Mb/s connection.
    This is why BT use ADSL for broadband and the cable companies distribute
    their broadband over their TV network.

    Peter
    Peter Andrews, Aug 12, 2005
    #9
  10. All telephony will eventually be VOIP

    Market share will be determined by the usual value for money, support,
    availability etc. I do not understand why you say Vonage will have a small
    market and talk crap, unless you are aware of something the you have yet to
    enlighten us all on?

    Regards,

    Paul


    "Ad C" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > That is the banner I have just seen, what a load of rubbish. Ok, so BT
    > is going to use VOIP on the new system, but no one will know about it.
    > companies like vonage will have a small market, they talk a load of
    > crap.
    >
    > Most people in this country will still use the BT style line for years
    > to come, unless they got cable and they may use the cable phone.
    Paul Westwell, Aug 14, 2005
    #10
  11. Ad C

    Guest Guest

    "Paul Westwell" <> wrote in message
    news:afELe.3936$2C5.3764@newsfe1-

    FACT--Vonage are simply the best voip provider around and i do believe they
    will become the dominant force in the uk market
    Guest, Aug 14, 2005
    #11
  12. Ad C

    Guest

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:45:04 GMT, "<@>" <> wrote:

    >
    >"Paul Westwell" <> wrote in message
    >news:afELe.3936$2C5.3764@newsfe1-
    >
    >FACT--Vonage are simply the best voip provider around and i do believe they
    >will become the dominant force in the uk market
    >

    No they are to expensive for the cheapskates in this country the one
    and ONLY fault that I can find with Vonage is that you are obliged to
    either pay a connection charge and get a ATA sent to you free or buy
    a router from Staples which is tied to them only .
    Why can't they just give the connection details and let customers use
    an ATA of their own choice I honestly think this will be their
    downfall in the UK it took me a few weeks to decide .
    , Aug 14, 2005
    #12
  13. Ad C

    Guest Guest

    <> wrote in message

    agreed dex, although if youre reducing your business phone bills from over
    600 quid a month down to just 18.99 a month all in its a fantastic service,
    btw what do you think of vonages's call divert and voicemail facility, also
    have you tried the multi ring function yet????
    Guest, Aug 14, 2005
    #13
  14. Ad C

    Ad C Guest

    In article <afELe.3936$>,
    says...
    > All telephony will eventually be VOIP


    That is only because BT is going to make it so, but it will make no
    difference to the public. that is if it is reliable, We will wait and
    see.
    Myself I do not see why BT have to muck around with something that is
    working, knowing Bt they will muck it up.

    >
    > Market share will be determined by the usual value for money, support,
    > availability etc. I do not understand why you say Vonage will have a small
    > market and talk crap, unless you are aware of something the you have yet to
    > enlighten us all on?
    >

    Unless BT drops the line rental, which is something they are not going
    to do and they have said so, then people are going to stay with the
    normal landline. VOIP is fine for people whou want loads of lines, but
    to the normal Joe public, they will not save money.

    What Vonage is saying is just sales talk, they know very well, their
    market will be small.
    Ad C, Aug 14, 2005
    #14
  15. Ad C

    Ad C Guest

    In article <QgFLe.7226$>, says...
    >
    > "Paul Westwell" <> wrote in message
    > news:afELe.3936$2C5.3764@newsfe1-
    >
    > FACT--Vonage are simply the best voip provider around and i do believe they
    > will become the dominant force in the uk market
    >
    >
    >

    Do not talk such crap. In telecommunications, BT is the dominant force
    and always will be. So a few customers may got to another supplier, just
    like I have and even fewer will use a VOIP company like Vonage, but most
    people will stay with BT.

    The main reason being is because it is a company they know and for some
    reason they trust. Using another phone supplier may cost some people
    more than if they stayed with BT. My parents for instance.
    I changed from BT, not so much for price, but because I hate BT, but I
    am saving money by not using BT.

    It is the same as Gas and Electric, I still know people who have not
    changed for Npower and British Gas, myself included. I also know some
    people who have changed and are happy.


    So you are talking out of your ass, Vonage will not be dominant force,
    and they are only the best in your eyes, just like BT is a waste of
    space in my eyes. since I do not use VOIP, I can not say which is the
    best, but if I was looking at VOIP, I think I would stay clear of
    Vonage.

    Anyway, why is all these VOIP companies foreign, have we not got any
    British ones?
    Ad C, Aug 14, 2005
    #15
  16. Ad C

    Ad C Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >

    > No they are to expensive for the cheapskates in this country the one


    People want to try things out, before paying money on hardware they may
    never use again.


    > and ONLY fault that I can find with Vonage is that you are obliged to
    > either pay a connection charge and get a ATA sent to you free or buy
    > a router from Staples which is tied to them only .


    That is the problem.

    > Why can't they just give the connection details and let customers use
    > an ATA of their own choice I honestly think this will be their
    > downfall in the UK it took me a few weeks to decide .
    >


    It still means buying more hardware.
    If I decided to go for VOIP, I would have to buy hardware, if I decide
    after a few months that VOIP is not for me, then I got a piece of
    hardware, I do not require. I could sell it, but I would never get
    anywhere near the price I paid for it.

    This is another thing that will put people off.

    10.2 If you end this Agreement you must pay everything you owe on your
    account as set out in Section 7.4 and a disconnect fee which is
    currently £23.99.


    A fee to disconnect? They may think they are the technology of the
    future, but they live in the past. I can change my ISP, my phone
    company, my mobile phone company, electric, gas and do not get charged
    for doing so. I know some suppliers have got a 12 month contract, but I
    avoid them as well. The only thing I have got with a 12 month contract
    is Sky and that is comming to the end soon.
    Ad C, Aug 14, 2005
    #16
  17. Ad C

    Al Guest

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:45:04 GMT, <@> wrote:

    >FACT--Vonage are simply the best voip provider around and i do believe they
    >will become the dominant force in the uk market


    Not FACT, simply your opinion. I don't use them and have no plans at
    present for that to change.
    Al, Aug 14, 2005
    #17
  18. Ad C

    Al Guest

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:13:09 GMT, <@> wrote:

    >
    ><> wrote in message
    >
    >agreed dex,


    Agreed what?

    I'll agree that your newsreader is broken as you seem unable to quote
    anything.
    Al, Aug 14, 2005
    #18
  19. On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:52:04 +0100, Ad C <>
    wrote:

    >Myself I do not see why BT have to muck around with something that is
    >working,


    to save money, rather than running essentially duplicated voice and
    data networks put the voice onto the data network in packet form. One
    piece of kit then provides broadband and voice services, rather than
    two.

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)
    Phil Thompson, Aug 14, 2005
    #19
  20. On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:03:51 +0100, Ad C <>
    wrote:

    >Anyway, why is all these VOIP companies foreign, have we not got any
    >British ones?


    Gradwell ? Voiptalk ?

    "why is all these VOIP companies foreign" are you Ali G in disguise ?
    :)


    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)
    Phil Thompson, Aug 14, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ike lozada
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    528
    ike lozada
    May 27, 2004
  2. Dave

    Measure delay end-to-end

    Dave, Jul 19, 2004, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    577
  3. ec
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    2,734
    shinobi
    Jul 25, 2006
  4. Gordon Henderson

    Re: Vonage question - multiple sockets on vonage

    Gordon Henderson, Feb 11, 2010, in forum: UK VOIP
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    991
    Gordon Henderson
    Feb 11, 2010
  5. Graham.
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    876
    Paulg0
    Feb 11, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page