    fine?

    Thanks,
    Andrew

    Andrew (G0RVM), Feb 21, 2006

  2. Andrew (G0RVM)

    alexd Guest

    Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:

    > Just been on the phone to Vonage and their sales people tell me their
    > service only works with the equipment they supply. i.e. Linksys PAP2 or
    > RT31P2.
    >
    > Anyone know if this is correct?

    Yeah it is. I think they use SRTP to encrypt the audio stream and stop
    anyone from using any old SIP client to connect to it. Perhaps someone with
    Vonage and a copy of Ethereal could let us know?

    > Or whether this is just their sales
    > people giving the simple view for non-techie's. Did try to discuss other
    > equipment but got the feeling I was speaking with a non-techical sales
    > person.
    >
    > i.e. Will other SIP router/proxy's such as the Intertex IX66 or IX67 work
    > fine?

    Other kit will work fine, however, you'll have to pay an extra six quid a
    month, on top of the tenner a month you'll be paying for using it with the
    Vonage kit. And that'll give you only 500 minutes a month with said other
    kit. So that's a not-so-stellar rate of 3.2p a minute if you only ever use
    your own kit, or 1.2p a minute if you've already got Vonage. Either way
    it's not really worth the hassle - you might as well pick any other SIP
    provider, it'll be cheaper and you can use pretty much any kit you want.
    For example, a tenner will get you ~800 geo minutes with Sipgate. Don't
    just compare Vonage to BT; if you're considering moving to VoIP, compare
    the cost of their service with Sipgate, voip.co.uk, et al.

    Vonage makes sense if you are prepared to use their kit, and make more than
    a tenners worth of geo calls every month.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    22:08:00 up 27 days, 2:26, 4 users, load average: 0.64, 0.41, 0.31

    alexd, Feb 21, 2006

  3. alexd wrote:

    > Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:
    >

    >> Just been on the phone to Vonage and their sales people tell me their
    >> service only works with the equipment they supply. i.e. Linksys PAP2 or
    >> RT31P2.
    >>
    >> Anyone know if this is correct?

    > Yeah it is. I think they use SRTP to encrypt the audio stream and stop
    > anyone from using any old SIP client to connect to it. Perhaps someone
    > with Vonage and a copy of Ethereal could let us know?
    >
    >> Or whether this is just their sales
    >> people giving the simple view for non-techie's. Did try to discuss other
    >> equipment but got the feeling I was speaking with a non-techical sales
    >> person.
    >>
    >> i.e. Will other SIP router/proxy's such as the Intertex IX66 or IX67 work
    >> fine?

    > Other kit will work fine, however, you'll have to pay an extra six quid a
    > month, on top of the tenner a month you'll be paying for using it with the
    > Vonage kit. And that'll give you only 500 minutes a month with said other
    > kit. So that's a not-so-stellar rate of 3.2p a minute if you only ever use
    > your own kit, or 1.2p a minute if you've already got Vonage. Either way
    > it's not really worth the hassle - you might as well pick any other SIP
    > provider, it'll be cheaper and you can use pretty much any kit you want.
    > For example, a tenner will get you ~800 geo minutes with Sipgate. Don't
    > just compare Vonage to BT; if you're considering moving to VoIP, compare
    > the cost of their service with Sipgate, voip.co.uk, et al.
    >
    > Vonage makes sense if you are prepared to use their kit, and make more
    > than a tenners worth of geo calls every month.

    Thanks for the info. Me thinks their service is not what I am looking for.

    For the record I've been using VoIP for the last few years having trialled
    Sipcall, Gossiptel and Sipgate. All worked fine in the IP universe but
    exhibit varying levels of reliability problems for IP/PSTN/IP
    interconnects. But for, essentially free services, they are just about
    acceptable.

    I'm not happy with Sipgate now due to signalling problems, however, that is
    for another post!

    Thanks again,
    Andrew

    Andrew (G0RVM), Feb 21, 2006
  4. Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:
    > Just been on the phone to Vonage and their sales people tell me their
    > service only works with the equipment they supply. i.e. Linksys PAP2 or
    > RT31P2.
    >
    > Anyone know if this is correct? Or whether this is just their sales people
    > giving the simple view for non-techie's. Did try to discuss other
    > equipment but got the feeling I was speaking with a non-techical sales
    > person.
    >
    > i.e. Will other SIP router/proxy's such as the Intertex IX66 or IX67 work
    > fine?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Andrew

    They have a softphone service, which I presume you8 can use anything you
    like with. I can't remember the details though, someone will be along in
    a minute to remind us.

    Thomas Kenyon, Feb 21, 2006
  5. Andrew (G0RVM)

    shido xavier Guest

    Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    > Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:
    >> Just been on the phone to Vonage and their sales people tell me their
    >> service only works with the equipment they supply. i.e. Linksys PAP2 or
    >> RT31P2.
    >>
    >> Anyone know if this is correct? Or whether this is just their sales
    >> people
    >> giving the simple view for non-techie's. Did try to discuss other
    >> equipment but got the feeling I was speaking with a non-techical sales
    >> person.
    >>
    >> i.e. Will other SIP router/proxy's such as the Intertex IX66 or IX67 work
    >> fine?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Andrew

    > They have a softphone service, which I presume you8 can use anything you
    > like with. I can't remember the details though, someone will be along in
    > a minute to remind us.

    You can use your own equipment with the softphone service. They dont
    want to say that because they want you to buy their gear. Shop Around to
    see whats best for YOU.

    -sx

    shido xavier, Feb 22, 2006
  6. "shido xavier" <> wrote in message
    > Thomas Kenyon wrote:
    >> Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:
    >>> Just been on the phone to Vonage and their sales people tell me their
    >>> service only works with the equipment they supply. i.e. Linksys PAP2 or
    >>> RT31P2.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know if this is correct? Or whether this is just their sales
    >>> people
    >>> giving the simple view for non-techie's. Did try to discuss other
    >>> equipment but got the feeling I was speaking with a non-techical sales
    >>> person.
    >>>
    >>> i.e. Will other SIP router/proxy's such as the Intertex IX66 or IX67
    >>> work
    >>> fine?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Andrew

    >> They have a softphone service, which I presume you8 can use anything you
    >> like with. I can't remember the details though, someone will be along in
    >> a minute to remind us.

    > You can use your own equipment with the softphone service. They dont want
    > to say that because they want you to buy their gear. Shop Around to see
    > whats best for YOU.
    >
    > -sx

    Hi Andrew,
    I have been using voipfone with the Intertex IX66 router for about 8 months
    and found it very reliable.
    I have three Snom IP phones and am using voipfones virtual PBX service.
    Well worth looking at.
    Similar problems as yours with sipgate, I have one siemens IP phone with a
    sipgate account and it works sometimes! not really looked into it as very
    happy with voipfone.
    John

    John golf1jod, Feb 22, 2006
  7. John golf1jod wrote:

    > "shido xavier" <> wrote in message
    >> Thomas Kenyon wrote:

    >>> They have a softphone service, which I presume you8 can use anything you
    >>> like with. I can't remember the details though, someone will be along in
    >>> a minute to remind us.

    >> You can use your own equipment with the softphone service. They dont want
    >> to say that because they want you to buy their gear. Shop Around to see
    >> whats best for YOU.
    >>
    >> -sx
    >>

    > Hi Andrew,
    > I have been using voipfone with the Intertex IX66 router for about 8
    > months and found it very reliable.
    > I have three Snom IP phones and am using voipfones virtual PBX service.
    > Well worth looking at.
    > Similar problems as yours with sipgate, I have one siemens IP phone with a
    > sipgate account and it works sometimes! not really looked into it as very
    > happy with voipfone.
    > John

    Cheers John,

    Will investigate voipfone too then. Been talking with Gradwell today and
    may well be giving there free trial a go...

    Andrew

    Andrew (G0RVM), Feb 22, 2006
  8. Andrew (G0RVM) wrote:

    > Cheers John,
    >
    > Will investigate voipfone too then. Been talking with Gradwell today and
    > may well be giving there free trial a go...
    >
    > Andrew

    I've used gradwell and the service has been completely flawless.

    Gradwell also seem to be about the most flexible provider when it comes
    to configuring your account.

    Mind you they are not cheap.

    Have you looked at voip.co.uk?

    Thomas Kenyon, Feb 22, 2006